A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Messed up sprite problem

Forgive the noobishness nature of this issue, this is my first attempt to replace/implement sprites. I am replacing all of the Knuckles sprites in SW 1.2 with Nack the Weasel sprites. I actually already have and this is what happens:

nackwrong.png

Clearly he is walking too far below the tiles and I have no idea why..? Could someone tell me what you think may be going on with it? I was thinking I might have to mess around with the character events but I don't even know where to start.

Some assistance please? Thanks so much in advance!

I think that is the Hot Spot. In the Animation Editor, try changing the Y value in the Hot Spot option by a higher value than the original one, or move the cursor below of the sprite to get the desired position. Remember to do this in every frame of your animation. I hope that works.

loljo.png

Not too well, I tried changing Y to higher values in all frames, but the problem remains the same.

knuxlook.pngnackstand.png

You can see where the character is supposed to stand and where Nack is slightly off. I am thinking this is happening because of the remaining Knuckles animations that still exist. Or perhaps the action points are off in each action?

Maybe replacing Knuckles' sprites was a bad move. I may have to start from scratch to get this thing to work properly unless there is another solution?

I'll check it out and see what tweaking I can do to fix it. I'm pretty sure now that I may have to make some sort of adjustment in the player animation group, never thought to try looking there.

I'm throwing a rep+ your way for telling me what to look at, at least. Thanks!

EDIT: Actually, do you think the problem might have something to do with the "Bottom Sensor"?

That depends. Does this weirdness of position negatively impact the actual physics of the engine or does it just change the appearance of the character sprite?

If it's the latter, then your problem is simply hot-spot positions... which are very easily (if tediously) fixed. If not, then there is a bigger problem.

• Like 1

Changing the Y value of the character skin position:

lolsfo.png

can give you this:

lol2fj.png

I'm explaining me well?.This is an example of what could you do to fix the problem. Not a great solution but oh well. Anyway, thanks for the rep+.

Edit:

Actually, do you think the problem might have something to do with the "Bottom Sensor"?

I don't think so. Unless you did set the skin position to the (X,Y) values of that sensor. I don't have idea.

can give you this:

[qimg]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9626/lol2fj.png[/qimg]

That's pretty much what's happening, but here's what i'm seeing there:

positionskin.png

Doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary, unless there is something messed up there.

That depends. Does this weirdness of position negatively impact the actual physics of the engine or does it just change the appearance of the character sprite?

Physics performance is normal. It's the standing and walking character sprites being out of position that is the problem. It only happened when I replaced the Knuckles sprites, but some of his sprites do still remain yet, ex: Look up, Crouch down, etc. However, those sprites appear where they are supposed to be when I perform those actions in-game.

Maybe I need to delete them off? I'm afraid to run into issues if I do.

Fixing the hot spots would have worked as well (you might still need to for the other angles)

I was thinking that too, so far so good though, I went through and tested the hills, slopes and so on and it's pretty normal (so far). The one thing I noticed was the remaining Knuckles sprites are raised, which is to be expected when making such a change.

Alright, issue resolved! I changed the value to -10 and it indeed fixed it. When I saw +30 in XeroNazoBlaze's example, I got to thinking to try a negative value and it's normal now. Thanks a ton for your help guys!

I've deleted the others events to make it more clearly. That 30 was an example value, it was more or less what I was trying to say, lol. But yes, your problem is a hot spot issue.

It's the one right next to action point that shows a circular crosshair instead of a rectangular one. See, every event involving the position of an object has to have some offset (x and y) so that it doesn't just use the top-left of a sprite, otherwise you'd have to apply these offsets by hand to every frame of animation and that'd just be a nightmare. So what you need to do is set these offsets by making them similar to the ones on your base sprite.

The icon looks like an eye. Make sure you look at the Knuckles sprite for a reference so that you know where it should be.

Tip: If you want to select all of the sprites to be adjusted at the same hot spots for the sprite to correctly be on the slopes:

1. Go to the Active Edit/object

2. Select whatever sequence and go to sprite (Idle, Running etc)

3. Click on the icon with the eye at the bottom-right corner next to the star (Hot Spot icon)

4. Hold ctrl key + a (Selects All) to select all sprites

and then finally 5. Hold alt key and press h, and under "Quick Move" click on one of the blocks and let go! Or alternatively you can always use the "x" and "y" to adjust it

To do selected sprites, hold the ctrl key on your keyboard and click on the sprites you want to choose to be edited and proceed with steps 3-5

Hope this helps! :-)

Edit: Checking if it works... *Hold out! Programmer!*

Edit 2: Yep it works *Sonic 2 end act zone music plays*

• Like 1

Ok, great I know what the hot spot is now. Here, i'll show a few of them at their current postions:

hotspot3.png

hotspot4.png

I'll take a look at the base sprite for comparison. Now, when I make the proper adjustments, i'm pretty sure I am going to need to go back into reposition skin and take that -10 out of there so the sprite isn't raised above the ground.

And thanks for the tips sonikku x, you earned a rep+ for giving additional info I need. DW repped as well.

EDIT: Well, I fixed my hot spots and removed that -10 value.. Problem solved!! It was a hot spot issue indeed. I am very appreciative of the help. Thanks a million!