A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Concept 1:2 - Rain Collecting robot (Enemy)

This is a simple enough enemy concept. The enemy has two basic modes. In the first, it flies around while holding a big glass tube similar to what Robotnik collects goo with in Chemical Plant's boss fight. The second mode has him seeking a player to throw the water at it... which for whatever crazy reason is now a potentially lethal weapon.

What makes it neat? Well, it works with a precipitation system. The only way the enemy can fill his tub is if he is exposed to rain, so if you bring him into an indoor section where the precipitation can't reach, the enemy will become a sitting duck type enemy.

Elaboration and Collaboration are welcome.

Image coming in a second. All I ask is please not to use it...though it can certainly be referenced from. Reason why I'm asking not to use it is because its so ugly right now hahahaha. I'll do a nice version of it another time that I'll just put my name on (because I'd want credit if it was used obviously :P), but I'll have no issues with the clean nice version once we decide on some designs. Its just uploading right now and my net is being retarded.

Edit: Oh, of course it uploads after I post.

RainBadnikConcept.png

If you can't read my writing, I am sorry =(. This is just my idea of how I'd probably do it. I think this is good practice too since I am learning how to design badniks for my own fangame as well, so this will be a cool place to learn how to create some.

How about a flower like the one from S3: Angel Island? It could collect water and then blossom out, spilling or spraying drips. Or it could be placed in clever spots near cliffs as it pours the water of the side. Sonic would be hit running below. If needing to move, it could walk by its roots using them as legs, I suppose..

As for "the water now for some reason is lethal", maybe the "water bombs" could affect Sonic's movement. (And destroy the fire/lightning shields).

For example, if the enemy throws the bomb just in front of Sonic while he's running, after stepping on it, Sonic would lose speed and do some "slipping" animation.

If the enemy is present on the ice level, then the water instantly freezes so that it creates a layer of slippery floor (like in Advance 2's Ice Paradise... damn slippery platforms.)

To expand upon those bombs that particular badnick throws, the water splash could also do an effect like hydrocity zone's eggman boss did. The water could propel sonic in a certain direction, or even create a lift for sonic to ride up, I know this sounds like something that could help the player out a lot, what if you used that particular effect on areas that have hazards on the top (aka spikes) portion of the screen.

What if, instead of doing damage, the water bombs just push you around? Knock you off platforms, cliffs, onto/into spikes and enemies, etc. Generally be a nuisance rather than a direct threat. Throw in a temporary stun (Maybe only 30% chance?) for added frustration.

Taking gsoft's idea and running with it: a robot that freezes the water to shoot icicles or ice balls that DO hurt.

Or steam jets for temporary protection like some spiked enemies.

=Smidge=

What if, instead of doing damage, the water bombs just push you around? Knock you off platforms, cliffs, onto/into spikes and enemies, etc. Generally be a nuisance rather than a direct threat. Throw in a temporary stun (Maybe only 30% chance?) for added frustration.

This is an excellent suggestion. It would work well in a difficult level with lots of hazards. You'd have to be very careful not to make it cheap. However if pulled off properly it would be legit.

• 2 weeks later...
This is an excellent suggestion. It would work well in a difficult level with lots of hazards. You'd have to be very careful not to make it cheap. However if pulled off properly it would be legit.

If you jump INTO the water as it's coming at you, you should be able to diffuse the water, but stiffle your jump height.