A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

laptop upgrade question

shadowgoten

So I have an old laptop (I'd say 4 years old now) that's been collecting dust. This is an old compaq presario v5005, it's got an AMD turion64 chip in it, still runs windows xp but boasts the vista compatible sign. The laptop started with 512mb of ram but i've boosted that up to a nice 2 gigs.

Hard drive space is not an issue for me, I'll probably replace the HD in this laptop for a much bigger one if need be. This laptop still runs great, does everything I need it to do, and I don't feel like purchasing a new one anytime soon.

I've got a few cd keys for windows 7 (and all the other relevant windows releases) through my schools academic alliance, and was wondering if this computer would be able to handle a 32 bit install of it and still be able to keep a relatively good speed. What are your opinions on this? Should I waste my time? Or keep it running good ol' windows XP?

Also enjoy the extremely low windows 7 experience index score they are going to give you strictly to make you feel bad.

Don't you just love Windows nowadays?

Windows Experience Index: 0.1/7.9

System Error: Your PC is incapable of running the awesomeness that is Windows 7. To solve this error, purchase a more worthy system.

Realistically, I think he'll score better than a 1, maybe even a 2 on the WEI scale, based on how old it is and how good he claims it can run.

The index is a scam to get people to think their computers a piece of shit when it's really not. Win7 judges on a larger scale than Vista and usually ranks any onboard or budget video card in the low 3's... it's making people think that they need to go out and blow 400 in order to make Aero work. BestBuy and other companies will actually use this horseshit to pitch more expensive equipment at sale time.

The index is a scam to get people to think their computers a piece of shit when it's really not. Win7 judges on a larger scale than Vista and usually ranks any onboard or budget video card in the low 3's... it's making people think that they need to go out and blow 400 in order to make Aero work. BestBuy and other companies will actually use this horseshit to pitch more expensive equipment at sale time.

Haha what a load of shit, though as brainless as consumers are, I can believe this practice is happening all the time.

Haha what a load of shit, though as brainless as consumers are, I can believe this practice is happening all the time.

I dn't know if you're agreeing or not, but I should add that I love Windows 7. Not kidding either I fucking love it. I just dislike the way the index is used to market shit that isn't needed 99% of the time.

I dn't know if you're agreeing or not, but I should add that I love Windows 7. Not kidding either I fucking love it. I just dislike the way the index is used to market shit that isn't needed 99% of the time.

Oh I was agreeing with you, I think it's a shady fucking practice.

But yes, Windows 7 is AWESOME. I'm trying to snag as many student alliance keys as I can, I'm up to 3 now :D.

Worse still is that you can have pretty high end hardware and get dragged down to the 5.5-6.0 range because of not having a solid state drive.

It's determined by the lowest score? That's a pretty lame scoring system if you ask me.

I'm glad you guys like Windows 7, because when I build my next computer in the next year, I'll probably get it, instead of sticking to XP.

Yeah, it's determined by the lowest score. And when hard disk speed is included in that, you know it's bullshit when it comes to system performance.

Also, one short, very mild overclock later...

attachment.php?attachmentid=1255&stc=1&d=1265993238

Here's to uniformity. Because having important scores spread out over a .5 spectrum is totally a Dami thing to do.

Actually, back in Vista the maximum values for everything were 5.9

I had dual channel DDR2 800mhz ram, and for the longest time that was the deciding value because it was keeping it down at 5.0 base. Then I replaced that RAM because I thought it was causing crashes (which may or may not have been true given what I found out later) and it shot up to 5.6 which was tied with the hard drive. A little overclocking brought the ram on up to 5.9 which was where the graphics card and processor performance were sitting, and so I was limited strictly by the 5.6 on hard drive. The other week, the primary hard drive on that computer crashed and so I had to replace it, and when I got the new hard drive (Western Digital Caviar Green 320gb) the score shot up to 5.9 and I was pretty stoked because that meant it was a perfect rating by Vista standards. Now having a 5.9 is just sad.

post-17-138639764024_thumb.png

I switched to 32 bit windows 7 to mod my xbox360 (shit needed 32 bit at the time) I should be switching back to 64 bit but i'm too lazy to do this, so my score isn't taking into account 2 gigs of ram.

effinindex.png

there's my index rating

clearly it'd still be held down by the "disk transfer rate" bullshit. Solid state disks sound awesome, but I'm not paying a fucking arm and a leg at this point when a terabyte 7200rpm drive is way cheaper.