A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

yay I fixed it but dont like my system scratching it

Serephim

I mean, I don't know what the tray for a Wii or PS3 look, but you can tell when you put your disc in a vertical 360 that it's not really seated well- because it rests on the side of the tray. The PS3 and Wii, pull the CD in themselves, so they probably get seated properly once inside- but if the 360 tray just slides in, well.. I don't know. I just tend to try and not bump it- and they tell you not to and all that.

I will say, Wii on the other hand, I was playing Brawl the other day and my dog got snagged on a controller cable, system fell about 5 feet, game kept playing, not a scratch on the disc :D

The wii is quite durable. My little brother pulled our wii off the shelf (twice), which is about a 4 foot drop.

On the other hand, I believe the disk reader is just about to go. Every time the wii reads a game disk, it is extremely loud (and constantly getting worse). I had similar problems with my old GameCube until one day it stopped reading games... now the same thing seems to be occurring with the wii.

At least my wii is homebrew enabled. If the disk reader dies, I can just boot the games through the HB channel.

Just put your 360 somewhere it won't be touched during gameplay (An entertainment center comes to mind), sorry to say it- but maybe you should have learned from your previous troubles?

its too common of a mistake for someone to do such a thing. I bring my 360 around when i travel places, and while im in baton rouge i can go between 3 houses a day. I dont always get to keep it in a super special place.

We've pulled a wii off a table TWICE in one day while brawling. The disc didnt have fatal scratches (or any, for that matter, it still works fine.)

Such a fuckup in design is just unjustifiable. The most infuriating aspect of it all is that the ___gots deny that the problem even exists. I can handle a 51% hardware failure rate, but when it fucks up my games while its overheating and melting itself, its just too much.

Yes but you know the reality of the machine, why ever take chances?

Whats so important that you need to be moving the machine RIGHT AWAY while it's operating?

It really only takes a few seconds to shut it off, and from what I remember from the 360, you don't even have to get up to do that.

my katamari disc got scratched because my 2 year old cousin decided to fall on my 360 whilst I was playing it. Not my fault, not Microsoft's but my little cousin.

fortunately i'd finished the game :P

you can pay a few pennies to get your disc repaired you know, there are plenty of DIY tutorials on Youtube as well.

Yes but you know the reality of the machine, why ever take chances?

Whats so important that you need to be moving the machine RIGHT AWAY while it's operating?

It really only takes a few seconds to shut it off, and from what I remember from the 360, you don't even have to get up to do that.

okay yeah ive known not to move the thing while its running since the FIRST time it ate a disc. Its never on purpose, and if it happens its always by complete mistake. It doesn't take anything more than a mere nudge in the right spot to cause fatal damage to your CD, specifically anywhere towards the middle of the console, but even tilting the console will give the same effect.

Gears of War? it was too close to my leg. Went to pick it up, heard wierd sounds. Took disc out, outer edge had a beautiful tattoo on it.

Halo 3? We were playing at my dorm. Someone decided to move the Xbox closer to a wall where it wouldn't be in our way -- scratched the outer edge of the disc again.

RE5? I nudged it on mistake with my foot shuffling in my chair. Not even enough to make it fall or stumble from its vertical position on the carpet, but definately enough to etch a song into the plastic.

It doesn't matter if they warn you in the damn manual. For how serious the problem is, they should give you a big red message along with the seizure warning everytime you start up a fucking game. Its like one of those "DONT PLAY DURING THUNDERSTORM" warnings or something, its not supposed to be absolute. I dont know a single console in history other than this one that fucks up this bad. I could play a PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn/CD or PS2 (ive actually done this one) upside down if i fucking wanted. I could play the Wii with the console under my fucking armpits and it has a lower chance of destroying my CDs than an Xbox sitting horizontally in a room with more than 2 people.

Its just a shitty design. The whole system is. Its amazing that they know this and wont fix it. Sorry, but anytime people can say your system (off the fucking shelf) has a 1/2 chance of RRODing, its just pathetic. And i personally dont know a single person IRL who hasn't had one of their CDs eaten before.

And lets not even get started on customer service and their shitty "OH yeah you have to call us personally to have your credit card removed from Live subscription."

Well I don't know anyone IRL who has had this problem before. When I owned one I never had the problem. Although, I also don't remember ever moving any of my consoles while they were running either.

Granted the first time blows, and the second could be ignorance to the actual problem as well, but once you know the problem it really shouldn't be that hard to fix, I honestly didn't even know this was a 360 issue until this thread.

Yes it's a bummer that the issue exists and if it were to ever be fixed, it wouldn't help you at all because it would be a fix included in buying a new console, but you own the thing and now you have to deal with it.

Is it really so hard to keep the 360 away from your feet and actually away from anyone at all? It's wireless and even if you're playing with a wired controller, it's extra long.

I mean simple precautions from now on should really make it so you never have this problem again, also this:

Selling it and getting a PS3 won't really help you avoid console issues either because those fail (and if we're going by "ppl I know", I personally know 5 ppl who had their PS3's fail on them) as well. If you're aim is to avoid getting annoyed by design flaws then I think you're pretty much SOL with consoles this generation.

EDIT:

Let's try to avoid a system war boys. You guys are getting awfully close to one.

I have no affiliation to either console, don't edit my posts- especially when I am trying to remind someone of helpful information.

Happened to a friend once, but it hasn't happened since. And it's never happened to me. All of winter break my console's been sitting vertically on top of my desktop's tower and I haven't had any problems. And I assure you that's not very stable. In fact, I always keep my console vertical. I've been warned before that things get screwed up by aforementioned friend, but I just tend not to bump or move my console.

Selling it and getting a PS3 won't really help you avoid console issues either because those fail (and if we're going by "ppl I know", I personally know 5 ppl who had their PS3's fail on them) as well. If you're aim is to avoid getting annoyed by design flaws then I think you're pretty much SOL with consoles this generation.

Yeah. Its just most infuriating that you cant do anything about it. This is the first gaming console ive ever had in my life thats given me so many consecutive problems. (if you dont count a nick on a dreamcast disc rendering it useless.)

Yea I learned not to even let the 360 be touched when spinning, AT ALL, when I first got it, I played the SHIT out of dead rising, then it ate my disk and I was fucking pissed. After that the 360 almost ate another disk without being moved, so I took it to target (first 30 days thank god) and had it replaced. Luckily my friends at gamestop happily replaced the disk as well.

I'd say take that shit to wherever you got it and see if they'll swap it for you. My other advice to you, keep that fucking system somewhere it won't be moved, at all, trust me on this.

Just took it to gamestop.

First, the dipshit asks if my system was standing vertical. Im trying to get a pity replacement, so i lie "no". The dipshit then replies "its a laser burn", and therefore is irreversible. Oh yeah, and he already said he wouldn't replace it without a gamestop warranty.

I then reach into my pocket to show him my disc with the perfect circle scratch in it. Dipshit then continues to say "its laser burned" and that "it cant be fixed" because "the data is fried". You know I don't like to assume im smarter than most people I meet no matter how stupid they sound. You know, when my discs happen to get a nick or scratch thanks to a relative or me just being careless, I usually jump on google immediately to find the most efficient way to repair them WITHOUT having to leave my house or replace the disc. So when i actually DO end up going to gamestop, i would, at the very least, expect the receptionist to know more than me about this kind of thing.

Anyway, convinced (with the plastic-side scratch in his face) that the disc is "Laser Burned" (???????) he basically tells me my game is done for. So i pick up some Gamestop Disc Repair fluid, take it to my house and buff the irreversible scratch out.

I hate incompetent employees. When i get back from my friend's house ill see if the game plays, but i can only see the scratch now when i hold it against the light. It may cause skipping or slow loading problems since the scratch is a perfect continuous circle, but i should be able to complete the game.

Well, to make sure it doesn't happen again, you can get a 120GB hard drive and burn the games you're currently playing on to it, and just run them from the hard drive. That's what I eventually did, and everything works much better now.

RE4 had its good points, but RE5's battles and levels were far more memorable. Not to mention the only character I liked in RE4 was Leon and Louis; Ashely was annoying as fuck, and the game was alot more fun when i didn't have to look after her. I didn't care much for the villians, either. Except for Krauser, but i mean hell thats one fight.

RE5 on the other hand had Sheva and the Josh guy, they were both pretty cool. Albert Wesker is a 1000x cooler villian than almost any character the franchise can dish out, and hes always fun to fight or even watch fight.

I also got to fight valentine too.

however...

...I dont know what Resident Evil is going to do now that hes apparently dead. I mean if he survived that attack in those conditions he might as well be immortal. I mean what the hell is Resident Evil without Albert Wesker? Unless Ada Wong becomes the new final boss of the series or unless they come up with some kinda "he was a clone" plot i dont think RE6 can even exist.