A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Game creating options.

Aerosol

Hey guys. Been out of the loop for a while so I just wanted to ask some questions. Im on a mobile phone for now, so its alot easier for me to just ask here instead of put up with those phones horrible browser.

first off, has sonic worlds had any significant updates since february this year? I was thinking about messing with it once my computer has a connection again. I also want to know if Construct! has gotten any stabler since around the same time. Im thinking of messing with that too.

Ive also been messing c++ in my spare time. Havent had much time to really delve into win32 programming cause i havent found a good book on it. For that matter, i havent found a good, up-to-date resource on opengl or sdl either. Kinda frustrating, since i want to start learning more about graphics programming. If anyone can help in either department, id be grateful.

finally...how the hell was sage this year? Probably the wrong forum for that question, but like i said, im on a mobile phone. Switching forums isnt so easy!

Been looking at SDL and C++, going to switch to SFML/Box2D with C++ though, looks more flexible than what I've been using in that regard. The thought of physics based collision is sounding more tempting and interesting all the time.

* LOVE looks good, there's a major release (0.6.0) out soon so you may want to wait for that.

* And Construct is working it's way to a 1.0 release - 0.99.42 is the most current stable version.

I've been fooling around with C++ and SDL for my war TBS game. This guy's website has some pretty good tutorials for setting up SDL, its related frameworks, and programming a working game.

The SDL lib is not incredibly powerful, but I'm still a novice with programming, so I'm comfortable working with it. And it ports fairly easily; just need to redirect the game engine to find resources and link to frameworks on a Mac differently.

Well, this guy's sig has a list of all the SAGE booths, so you can judge that part on your own (I was at BCT then, so I missed it myself).

Where did you go for BCT?

I actually posted said WIP in the Construct Usage topic. Oh, I've been talking with Dami about it, all he needs is to implement animations and actions properly in order to finish it, and perhaps he'll also implement that "non-Sonic mode" (for characters that move more like regular platforming characters except with rotation) that I had to implement myself into the WIP I have, though doing it again with the finished version wouldn't take very long anyway.

Though, when he'll actually do it is another thing entirely.

Is it E02 or Mettrix that has the archaic choice of file formats (PCX, really?)? Until (or unless) it supports something more modern I'll give it a miss.

Mettrix is a fangame made in E02. So they both use ass-backwards formats :P

Also, isn't there that Attitude Engine in the works? And what's the word on RSDK's public release?

For some reason I thought they were two different projects. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dunno if the Sonic Attitude project recovered after the "hacking", but if it has nothing has been heard of it as of late (as far as I can tell).

Is Open Sonic a possibility?

Possibly. There is also Game Editor. I don't profess to know anything about it, but it was recently open sourced, so some people may want to check it out.

Holy fuck, Game Editor really has? I see they've cleared that up, because previously it was just their "Indie License", now it's dual (GPLv3/Indie); certainly seems less confusing.

As for Blender, there's a bit out there, perhaps not as much as there could be though.