A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Removing and moving water in sonic worlds?

Im currently testing the latest version of sonic worlds. Right now I am trying to give myself a basic full understanding of what each event does. I understand the gimmicks, 360 degrees and sound. The only thing I'm having problem with is water level. Reading through the events, I asuumed that to remove water completely from the level, I would set water and water level to zero. This apparently worked, but when I start running, at times I can see the running on water effect happen on the ground. After that I'm at a loss to ask how to set the water to a certain level on the stage.

Reading through the events, I asuumed that to remove water completely from the level, I would set water and water level to zero.

There's your problem; set Water Level to the frame height. ...Or just make the "running on water" group deactivate itself if there's no water.

You could also just remove the entire Running on Water group if you're like me and don't plan on using it in your game. Ironically, I just found this thread the day after I worked with this gimmick.

Another helpful tip: Under the condition "When Water of (L) = 0", find and deactivate as many of the underwater-related groups as you can (Air Bubbles should already be deactivated, but you should also deactivate Water, Drowning, and Running on Water); I'm sure that your game's performance should improve when it doesn't have as many events to juggle. :)

Thanks everyone, everything runs perfectly now. Now I can focus on the level design.

This actually sparked up another question. When I program in my own gimmick events, should I worry about it interfering with the engine? For example, lets say I wanted to add a cooperative camera function similar to donkey kong country where the second player takes over after the first player dies. I'm guessing this would involve editing camera events so that it follows the second player object (lets say tails). I'd have no problem doing that, but hypothetically, if at this point the camera just doesn't follow tails, or another group of events trigger that I don't want which results in something undesired. What should I be thinking about to look out for when I program them in?

Strange, I never had to deactivate (remove, whatever you want to call it) any of the water events to get this to work properly in Worlds. I just set the water object to 0 and left the water level alone. I haven't had any problems otherwise, since it seems like certain events regarding water just activate when the water object is set to 1.

Unless I maybe altered something else, I dunno. I'm actually quite new to using the program/messing around with worlds. If my computer hadn't of died on me before I'm sure I might have picked up a lot of this stuff sooner.

As for your other problem there, I don't know. Sorry! Hopefully though my post will get it some attention =)