A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

All you need is LÖVE...

I'm wondering if anyone else here has had any experience with LÖVE? I've only just started out myself, making the tiniest of baby steps. But what I've played with so far, I like.

For those who don't know what it is, it's a tool for building games with. You write all the code in Lua. It can support physics (with Box2D). It's also cross-platform. All the games it creates are stored in ZIP files (given the .love extension); you can create self-executable games by attaching the .love file to the LÖVE executable. Lua is a scripting language, but you can use luac to make bytecode (ala Java) if you want to make it harder for people to use your code. At 0.5.0 it's still fairly new and has a way to go, but it looks promising!

Ah, this is actually pretty useful for me, since I'm a lua "coder" for the PSP, in fact my current project my game is coded in Lua. This would be useful for my PC Port of the game, since it would mean optimizations in the PC Port instead of just running it through a bog-standard Lua Player for Windows. Thanks for showing this!

If you're creating .love files, make sure it's the contents of the directory (and its sub-directories), not the directory itself. And as has been pointed out by ojdon - drag the folder containing main.lua and game.conf over to the LÖVE icon to run it if you don't want to create a ZIP/.love file.

OK, to be sure... your directory structure should look like this:

<directory name>
 +main.lua
 +game.conf
 +anything else

You want to drag <directory name> over the LOVE icon to run it.

Alternatively, you can zip up the contents of <directory name> - not the directory itself, the difference is important! - and rename it from .zip to .love. Double-clicking on it (or, again, dragging it on to the LOVE executable icon) will run it.

http://sslaxx.twu.net/EggTester.love is an example.