A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Your fondest Sega memories

Ristar

My fondest Sega memory by far was finally beating the Underground Zone boss on Sonic 2 for the Game Gear. That is easily the hardest classic Sonic game. I had no problem beating any of them after that.

I'm jealous - I've never passed that boss the times I played the game. It was so frustrating!

I'm jealous - I've never passed that boss the times I played the game. It was so frustrating!

Oh god, I remember the times I played the game, and never finding the last Chaos Emerald. I think I finished the game properly last year for the first time in my entire life, and that was on an emulator so I don't know if I have bragging rights...

- Getting my Sega Genesis for Christmas with Sonic 3 & Knuckles and loving it to death, even though I kept drowning on the second level for a bit.

- Playing Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse on my now pretty-much-dead Game Gear. Very fun platformer from what I can remember.

- Hearing "Sonic Team" by that random girl at the beginning of Sonic Adventure and being treated to one of the most amazing intro cinematics I can remember.

- Playing Sonic Adventure. The story, the music, the fun. "Learning" about the characters- lawl.

There was also time spent playing Sonic 1&2, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Vectorm 1&2, Power Rangers at a friend's house, and for some reason a lot of time went into Shaq-Fu. Overall, though, I think most of my favorite memories lie in Sonic Adventure, which I've played quite a bit...

Edit: Totally bringing my Dreamcast back to college with me.

1) Watching Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive for the first time. First Green Hill, first loop-de-loop, first videogame.

2) Beating Launch Base Zone, and by extension Sonic 3.

3) Beating Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the first time, as Super Sonic.

4) Playing Sonic Mega Collection at a friend's house and doing (3) all over again.

5) Beating Sonic Adventure 2 on Hero mode.

6) Beating all of Sonic Adventure DX.

Ah yes, the first time I played Sonic 1 was in the 6-pack collection. I didn't get to complete the game until Sonic 2. I was wowed when I play that game. In addition, I mistakenly called Sonic "Sega", I don't know how to read back then.

Man, the 90's rock. I missed the good olde 90's.

:tbored:

- Playing Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse on my now pretty-much-dead Game Gear. Very fun platformer from what I can remember.

Oh my, I freaking loved that game. I was going to list it as one of my own fond moments. XD

-Getting to level select in Sonic 2 for the first time. I had always gotten stuck on Metropolis Zone, and when we finally did that I got to get my butt kicked by Silver Sonic for the first time.

-Playing Ristar on the Gamegear, particularly the sleeping dude boss that acted kindof like an octorok at the end of the pirate ship level. The background would change between all these dreamlike locations, and you would have to hang on the guys bubbles as he slept to attack the bat at the top of the screen.

-Getting Sonic & Knuckles and then proceeding to beat it in every possible way. When I had just Sonic 3 I couldn't beat the final boss. Eventually someone beat the guy for me, and I had a perfect save of Sonic 3. When I got Sonic & Knuckles I kindof tripped out on the new environments and couldn't get enough of how much better the 2nd half of the game was. No offense to Sonic 3 but I really didn't like playing it till you got to Ice Cap Zone.

-Recieving the Sega Dreamcast was quite possibly my N64 kid moment. There was screaming, there was excitement, and there was much playing. I was immediately hooked to both Powerstone 2 and Sonic Adventure as we played and played and played our hearts out. (Although I admit at first I didn't care much for Powerstone at all, though after playing it it quickly became my favorite party fighter) No Christmas since then, no matter what, has been able to top that christmas.

-Playing Ristar on Sonic Mega Collection for the first time, realizing the game had a much superior older brother. (Except that the pirate ship level wasn't in the game :( )

-Playing Phantasy Star Online for the first time, on the stripped down PC version. The game, the music, and the environments immediately captured my interests and I was just having an unbelievably surreal experience. The trial however wouldn't let you do anything but play through Forest 1 & 2, but that was enough to really make me want more. I eventually got to relive this phantasy once I discovered SCHTHACK and finally attained a copy I could play on my Dreamcast, and then experiencing the game completely and offline was one of my best gaming memories.

-Playing Episode 4. I've got to say, most of the time when I play something expecting a quenching of nostalgia I usually don't get the fun I was hoping to out of it, however Episode 4 really invigorated my love for PSO when I finally played it.

Incidentally, today I finally managed to beat Sonic 1 all the way through on a Mega Drive I got for Christmas. Some general notes:

1) Fuck Labyrinth Zone.

2) Fuck Robotnik for making Scrap Brain 3 another Labyrinth act.

3) World of Illusion is a lot shorter than I thought it'd be. Still fun though.

4) For some reason I can't get past the first boss of Sonic & Knuckles as Knuckles. I'll just chalk it down to 'haven't played this game for years'.