A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

No really look at this stuff

Carl Winslow

Looks good to me, other than the few shading errors you mentioned the only thing that really stands out to me is the feet seem to suddenly appear and disappear where as they should look like they're coming out from under the character. Shouldn't be too hard to adjust that though.

I like it otherwise.

Looks good to me, other than the few shading errors you mentioned the only thing that really stands out to me is the feet seem to suddenly appear and disappear where as they should look like they're coming out from under the character. Shouldn't be too hard to adjust that though.

I like it otherwise.

that's been a real pisser the entire time. the body's so huge that what I did for the feet isn't even seen. I could change it, but it'd either add to many extra frames or look awkward.

EDIT: crap, I remembered it's not quite as noticeable on a what background.

mechanimtestingcolorbwhite.gif

I'll TRY to fix it, but I just really want to move to the next animation set for this thing then get started learning backgrounds.

shooter concept that ties battle garegga option formation changing with R-Type esque bullet absorb scoring

if I say much more than that I risk spoiling the whole damned thing. I'm learning absolutely as much as I possibly can about pixel art, animation, palettes, etc etc to make sure it works. so far I'm incredibly happy with the results I'm getting, but now I need to learn background concepts and the structure behind effects that animate.

Basically if you know ANYTHING helpful, PLEASE let me know. it'd be particularly nice to find some tutorials on more complex techniques too.

Usually when I try to animate, I think about how an object moves using trigonometry. Using a Sine function, it can smoothly move left and right by decelerating and accelerating when it changes direction. ( aka like moving platforms in Sonic games ) Keeping this in mind, I find it to look much better when animation mimics this, making things work smoothly and without sudden movement changes.

I hate math however. I can get about as far as Algebra 1 before my head melts into a fuming bowl of puss and I'm left never wanting to touch it again. I can understand the concept of variables and shit, but not when they're like OK HOW TO SIMPLIFY NO WAIT JUST SHOW IT SIMPLIFIED OKAY DONE.

• 3 months later...

I am totally shitting all over the place

oh my god.

(click the thumbnails to see the full things.)

th_MisterEyesconceptssmall.jpgth_MisterEyesconcepts2.jpgth_MisterEyesconcepts3.jpg

This is Mister Eyes. he is a thing i made when the power was out a good 5-6 months ago and decided would be a cool run-n-gun game thing. obviously I didn't do shit with this idea aside from make an avatar of him.

That's mostly because A) I don't really know how to handle it and B) MAI GAEMU is top priority right now.

th_beeladything.jpg

Design done for Streak's whatever the fuck that he didn't like, so I used it as a means to troll Star Wars roleplayers. then I took it seriously and made it a neat character for a story THAT'S ALL IN MY HEAD.

Note this sketch is like a year old by now. no need to crit it since I pretty much fixed it in something else.

It's called D6-R9A-1C 'Goldy' for those that care.

th_BeeladyMP.jpgth_soldierbeetransparent.png

Another rejected design for Streak's thinger. This thing's pretty fucking awesome IMO.

R6-R9A-D2 Soldier Bee, aka mass production model of thing above.

th_Midi.jpg

This is where I suddenly hit the realization that robots as characters is an incredibly badass idea. This is 'Midi', who is an innocent naive child that just happens to be a super-prototype weapons platform. To be fair though, characters like this don't stay naive for very long.

D6-R11S-1X

th_SoldierBeeflightmodel.jpg

That in turn lead to prototype MP units are equally awesome. Midi makes this thing because she wants a friend or something.

I think this one is R7-RX-LEO or something. I didn't plan it very far ahead.

th_crazyguns.jpg

GUUUUUUUUUNS

th_Vespa-new.jpgth_Vespa-port.jpg

Midi's younger sister or something. angry, menacing, and a pompous bitch. Also her head is SOOOOO KAWAII. Seriously, the head's the best part about it.

th_Highway-defender-prog2.pngth_road-prog3.pngth_streetlight-omg.pngth_cannontestrend.png

I DON'T THINK I NAMED THESE.

Made for MAI GAEMU which is showing some serious progress! :D

Last one was the test model made to see if the MD3 handling code worked right after coder guy ported it from Linux.

I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR NOTHING AT ALL BECAUSE PEOPLE NEVER CHECK THIS FORUM.

:<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So there's some sorta SRW fan project shit goin' on.

GUESS WHO WAS MENTALLY BRICKED ENOUGH TO START HELPING?

Though, to be fair, it's actually a nice project. they just need to get some quality control.

RickDias-2.pngRick Dias missing it's backpack

Idolo-4.pngZ.O.E.'s Idolo, which will serve as a basis for most stuff baring the units that REQUIRE their own structure.

Hygogg-4.png Gundam 0080 Hygogg I haven't colored. :/

Zakutest.png a basic Zaku, which like Idolo is going to be the basis of a large slew of similiarly structured units.

drilltits-2.png

something. I don't think it goes here besides the fact it's the same proportions wise. might as well be called an OC DON'T STEAL I guess. not that it's terribly original anyway.

IfeelFOREVER.png

my eyes had been filled with a huge mountain of seizurerific colors so I was incabable of thinking properly. this came out after 2 minutes of vomiting lines and colors out of my head as fast as possible.

Dolores-4.png

(currently) unfinished Z.O.E. Dolores. It's probably one of the few units in the series that outright requires it's own base. (shoulders a bit narrow, hips wide as hell, cockpit angled higher than normal for most Orbital Frames) should be done by tomorrow or something.

And now for unrelated crap.

tragicdollbigger-3.png

I've been calling this a tragic doll for some reason or another. it's strange because my mind assumes it's around ten feet tall or something, so why is it a doll at all?

abyxdood-1.png

A face everyone can trust!

Mistereyes_Av-2.png I made this cuz it's adorables. :o

delmoshipbig-1.gif SPACIN' SHIPS

Also, if anyone here knows how to texture by chance, contact me cuz I have a basically finished model that I can't get any further because it has no texture.

th_Soldierbee-full-uv-front.pngth_Soldierbee-full-uv-back.png

Please have the decency to leave feedback or say something if you look. :C

How so? try and be descriptive so I'll have an idea of what needs to be changed. unlike most things I've been making these with it in mind to fix them up later on.

It looks like a half-chibi from a view that's somewhere between top down and 3/4. The legs look like they atrophied, and I'm not sure about the crotchspike thing (I only played ZOE twice), but it looks too erect.

Basically, instead of improving it, make a new one, because the basis is what's bad.

ZOE Dolores's legs are to spread.

I'm not sure, but something seems wrong with Rick Dias when I look at him, or maybe I'm just not used to 3/4 perspectives on 2D sprites.

The others all look ok. The SPACIN SHIP being my favorite.

It looks like a half-chibi from a view that's somewhere between top down and 3/4. The legs look like they atrophied, and I'm not sure about the crotchspike thing (I only played ZOE twice), but it looks too erect.

I think the perspective thing might be with the head. it has a weird slanted head with equally awkward glasses spikes jutting off all the way from it's 'nose'. I'd even say it's the top of the head myself (which they INSISTED I add more to for some ungodly reason.) and I could shave pixels off there.

When you said the legs were atrophied, I thought you meant stiff. Looking up the actual definition, yeah I could easily fix that. I'd need to beef up the upper leg a tad, as the lower legs come to incredibly tiny points and are rather thin.

The COCKpit though... hm, I'll have to look at the reference picture more to be sure. you may be right.

ZOE Dolores's legs are to spread.

Normally I'd agree on something like this. Having seen the OVA with this particular OF though, the animators WANTED this thing with really spread out stance and huge hips. The concept art doesn't come close to as peculiar as it gets in the show and promo art.

I'm pretty sure they were all masturbating to their incredible giant moe-bot with a massive codpiece, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure, but something seems wrong with Rick Dias when I look at him, or maybe I'm just not used to 3/4 perspectives on 2D sprites.

this is the only one of these that I edited something else to get it together. the original base is terrible as is, and i don't think I helped matters much by making the colors too vibrant in general, or the fact the legs don't really make sense to me at all. they liked it though, so I'm not complaining.

The others all look ok. The SPACIN SHIP being my favorite.

Also ITT Streak thinks he's blatant and clever but doesn't realize furries can do neither.