A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[question] Changing sprite size/resolution

Hi all.

I have a quick question about how the engine works - I should just explain that my skills with MMF are basically limited to 'player collides with platform > Stop' and a lot of the maths for a sonic engine are way way way above my head.

Anywho.

As such the worlds engine seems perfect for me to base my fangame on. My question is that I want to up the resolution as graphically I want to go for a very sketchy 2Dboy-esq graphic style. Now, I'm assuming after looking at the engine that increasing the sprite-size by 3 times is going to play havok with the collision sensors - would merely changing the position of the sensors in the event editor suffice or would it be more complicated than that?

Cheers

Well, you may want to resize the sprites that are used as the sensors as well as repositioning them. If you are planning to use the speed/jump factors from the Worlds engine in your fangame then you may ned to upscale those as well though I'm not sure on that. Finally you might need to change the resolution of the fame window itself, which I believe is in the properties of the main project, though I'm not at my PC at the moment so again I'm not entirely certain.

I'm sorry this post was filled with so mant maybes but I hope this has been some use to you.

Wouldn't the hotspots stay in a relative position to the sprites though? At present all I've done physically to the sprites is to double their size and reposition them. Oddly, the sprite seems to rotate properly most of the way through a rotation as well - its just in right at the point where it returns to being level that the rotation appears to stop.

It's probably due to how everything is now raised in size, did you resize the size of the collision balls or just space them out? because i'd imagne it's not detecting the floor like it use too so rotation stops too soon.

Are you also using default slope sizes? try making the slopes twice the size too and run up and down it.

Fixed it, although I have no idea why my fix worked.

I had resized everything - sensor size, doubled the position and double the size of the tiles in my little test area - one thing I hadn't changed was the Y position of the slope detectors (They were set to 0 and 2x nothing is nothing, so I didn't touch them)

For some reason setting them to 2 works. I don't know why. But I'm not going to grumble.

Cheers for your help all!