A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Fallout 3

shadowgoten

Wonderful game so far. Glad I decided to randomly use stockpiled trade in credit for it today. Granted I restarted at least 4 times for various reasons, but I'm having a blast. However its a game I can only play in short spurts of an hour... mainly so I can get back to LittleBigPlanet.

It's out already? Meh, I'm gonna try it but I honestly don't expect much, mainly because I didn't like Oblivion compared to Morrowind, and because I'm a fan of Fallout 2 (still haven't fulfilled my duty of playing the first one...). Good game? Sure. Good Fallout? I highly doubt it.

Btw, for those who have it, is a mod-creation tool included with Fallout 3?

After one hour trying to make it not crash everytime I clicked the new game button, I got it to work. Had quite an entertaining sucession of tutorials in the vault, loved the VATS and got scared a couple times because of roaches D:

Now I go outside and it's crashing again every 10 seconds and restarting my graphics driver ;_;

Finished the main quest a few hours ago. Quick notes on various subjects spoilered for convenience:

-Game's too dark at times, can't see shit even with maxed brightness.

-Barely any oddball allies found thus far. Lame, moreso after FO2's crazy cast. I managed to babysit Dogmeat through the entire game which was painful at times but he made up for that serving as distraction while I shot heads with pleasure and bullets.

-Plasma Rifle is GODLY and so is the Mysterious Stranger perk. I knew those Energy Weapons points weren't going to waste.

-I blew up Megaton because the place sucked and I didn't like it. The prize "item" I got was super sexy, plus I got a lot of caps and turned super evil. Why bad? Wiping out that shitty town is an act of compassion! I only regret not looting the place beforehand. Then I spent the rest of the game being nice and ended up with more positive karma than Jesus.

-Exploring all the Vaults in the map was good and atmospheric, although most of them were lacking a proper... "ending". As in, a boss fight or special sequence or just some fucking Loot-a-Palooza room.

-In Underground, as I suspected, getting the Robotics Expert perk allowed me to deactivate Cerberus' inhibitor. However, I was expecting him to join my party after slaughtering the locals (don't care, already finished the quests) and he didn't. FAIL. Modders, get on this asap.

-Can't finish a mission in Big Town because I'm supposed to fix some robots. No problem with that miss stand aside I'm a professional. I mean, I've got INT, science and repair maxed AND the Robotics Expert ability. The problem? There's no fucking robots in the place where they're supposed to be. Stupid glitches.

-I fucking knew President Eden (MAIN QUEST SPOILERS)

was an AI the moment he spoke through the eye in the wall and freed me. He was awesome and had his robots kill the bad guy sympathizers when they targeted me, and I approve of killing all the disgusting mutants, people or animals, so I willingly fulfilled the chemical addition request. Dissapointed however in that both of the special skill dialogue options were targeted towards his death, so I didn't trigger any. Would've loved some more positive interaction with him.

The experience was good thus far, I'll reload a savegame and see if I can find any remaining interesting quests to do. Then I'll wait for the modders to pull out all sorts of crazy shit.

I went energy weapons from the start and randomly encountered a few brotherhood of steel members getting their asses kicked and got a laser rifle pretty early on. Been a pretty cool game so far.

Modders won't be able to get on anything for a while Seph. No tools were included this time around and its questionable whether or not they'll ever get made at all.

I'll say right now that its more Oblivion than it is Fallout, but I don't see that as a bad thing. It's better than not getting another Fallout game at all certianly and its really a lot more fun than Oblivion in my opinion. I'm going to be waiting for modders to kill the level cap among other things though.

What's wrong with the level cap? My character has hit 20 already but I got all the points I needed for my planned build and more. Won't mind that I can't level anymore since nothing can withstand my Plasma Rifle or the Vengeance. Companion NPCs barely get a chance to fire when I'm consistently oneshotting heads, and that Grim Reaper Sprint perk makes things even easier.

If you want a ridiculously overpowered character you could just use the console commands, no?

Oblivion bores me to death, but Fallout 3 is indeed fun. There's atmosphere, there's an interesting setting, there's good art and most importantly there's a proper combat system in place (VATS). And gibs. Gibs everywhere.

If those dungeons are dark caverns let's hope they include a decent source of light. Because god damn I couldn't navigate D. Sanctuary without looking at the (imprecise) Pipboy map every two steps.

Shit, I am wearing Tesla Armor. I should be lighting that place up disco style.

Modders won't be able to get on anything for a while Seph. No tools were included this time around and its questionable whether or not they'll ever get made at all.

This is not actually much to worry about. Oblivion at first had no signs of mod tools at all, which they did specifically so console gamers would be more likely to buy it. they released the tools later after the sales had calmed down a bit. My guess is they're doing it again because it worked.

This is not actually much to worry about. Oblivion at first had no signs of mod tools at all, which they did specifically so console gamers would be more likely to buy it. they released the tools later after the sales had calmed down a bit. My guess is they're doing it again because it worked.

Another theory says that they did it because they saw how Morrowind mods were popular and decided they could earn cash from them (aka, sell their own 'official' mods). Everyone got pissed, Bethesda got scared, and then put the Construction set up for download.