A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

CTRL F Spore

FuzzMaster

Buy the game you damn bums.

I wouldn't have bought it even if I didn't know the gameplay would be Diet Everything. It was never my cup o' tea.

That 86 on Metacritic must be disheartening to everyone who REALLY wanted this game. It's the 6/10 from DToid and 7/10 from Wired that really sting :U

EDIT: Someone was telling me Spore sales were pretty low. I think that's hilarious, except when I think of how awesome Will Wright is. Maybe I'll just give Will money and let EA be fucked. I think that's a fair deal.

How can anyone really be saying sales are low before the game has even been out for a week? I'm pretty sure the Sims didn't sell every copy in the early time frame like so many console titles. Wright's games just don't work that way. They are slow burners.

Initial sells are initial sells. It's like the hype margin. If it doesn't sell well in the first week either the game wasn't hyped enough or it means people just don't give a shit. Videogame Marketing 101

From what I've seen, I doubt Spore will hold up long enough to burn slowly.

what? You mean as some kind of anti-pirating mechanic or something?
Spore uses a modified version of the digital rights management (DRM) software SecuROM as copy prevention, which requires authentication upon installation and when online access is used. This system was announced after the originally planned system met opposition from the public, as it would have required authentication every ten days.Additionally, installation of a copy of the game will only be authenticated up to three times. EA Customer Support, however, states that the user can contact EA and, on a case-by-case basis, have their activation count for Spore reset when the activation limit is depleted.

As a result of the protection scheme, a large number of reviews on Amazon.com have given Spore one star, the lowest rating. Electronic Arts cited SecuROM as a "standard for the industry", and Apple's iPod song DRM policy as justification for the control method. Former Maxis developer Chris Harris labeled the DRM a "screw up" and a "disaster".

The SecuROM software was not included in versions of the game purchased online. EA was quoted to say: “We don't disclose specifically which copy protection or digital rights management system we use --in this case, SecuROM -- because EA typically uses one license agreement for all of its downloadable games, and different EA downloadable games may use different copy protection and digital rights management.”

EULA is not included in the hard copy of the game

Also, I think this is relevant the the topic:

We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. “Spore” has more depth than, let’s say, “The Sims” did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for “Sims 2″, which was around 90, and something like “Half-Life“, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life.”

I got it and got up to space

1) Cell phase rocks.

2) Creature phase blows. It's essentially WoW except with no friends.

3) Tribal phase is rly annoying unless you play aggressively. It's fun enough but beyond basic.

4) CIV! At first I really really hated it because I was playing as military and was more keen on world peace. I got my ass handed to me. Tried it again as a ruthless dick and won.

5) SPACE! We'll see.

Yea seriously Shadix, games like this don't just blossom into fucking massive classics. It starts by word of mouth by the people that dedicate like 2 weeks into this shit, and it's usually not the hardcore gamers that get the most satisfaction out of it either, it's going to be the same kind of people that played the sims series for days on end.

What stops me from actually going and buying this game is the stupid SecuROM protection. First of all, I reinstall WinXP every 6 months as a sort of cleanup, and second, Spore is a type of game that you don't just sit down and play for months, you play it a while, uninstall it, and then, a few months later, you want to play it again (at least that was the case with me).