A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Help with parallax

PkR

Could someone help to create water parallax effect like it's in Hydrocity zone?

I tried several ways, but couldn't do that... Seems that I don't know how to position water levels vertically to make them correspond to the water waves.

Anyway, I'll remind you of what it looks like:

highest.gif

Pay attention to the water levels. Then, we go a bit deeper:

high.gif

See?

mid.gif

Finally, we can't see these water levels.

down.gif

And this is when we go deeper.

Could anyone help to make that in MMF?

What if the top of the water is an active object and as you go deeper, you resize it vertically to get smaller. Once Sonic is greater or equal to it's Y position, you can make it invisible and reappear the underwater object which resizes itself vertically to get bigger as you go deeper into the water. I never attempted that effect before and this is just an idea. ( Seems like if it's done correctly though it should work )

I think it can't be resized, as it consists of different levels (separate BG System Boxes, if we make it in MMF), which move with different speed when scrolling to produce horizontal parallax effect. Vertical positioning should be almost the same, but still I can't figure out the proper way :(

Sorry for not replying sooner - been sitting for the exams.

Do you want me to attempt a tutorial of it? I have a feeling that if I tinker with it for a while I may come up with something.

If so, please do. I would appreciate it.

Ask Xoram, im confident his aim is "xXoramx"

he did the exact effect in "Sonic Paralactic Adventure".

EDIT:Erm... Just checked out Xoram's game, but failed to find the effect I mentioned above.

Hmm... looks like this is where using the overlay method of parallax could come in handy... and I believe you can combine both methods of parallaxing...

Yes, I did say I was going to make a tutorial about overlay parallax but that never happened... I never bothered to figure it out yet and was going to save that for the next game project after Sonic's Vacation...

I'm aware of overlay parallaxing method, but I still have no idea how to do that effect in the way shown. Anyway, LarkSS said he has almost done it, so we should wait till he finishes his tutorial.

Sorry that I still don't have it yet. I've been playing STH3 for a bit to see exactly how the water effect works. Then I got caught up in playing STH3 online for awhile and today is father's day but I'll still try to get it done. That reminds me. PkR, I need to talk to you about something. I'll send you a PM.

Erm... Just checked out Xoram's game, but failed to find the effect I mentioned above.

He did send you the engine test from the old forum, right? there's some debug keys that activate water in that build.

I cant remember the keys, persay, but theyre probably close to the a/s/d range.

He did send you the engine test from the old forum, right? there's some debug keys that activate water in that build.

No, he didn't as I've never seen him online. I just found his game's demo on some site, but it didn't have any levels with water.

Vertical parallax... don't suppose you can use the old "background system box" technique?

Yes, this is the one being used. Just had to figure out the ways of proper vertical positioning.

Here it is:

http://sfghqmb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30&stc=1&d=1150655344

All I did was edit your paralax effect and made vertical positioning. It works based on how many pixels you are from the water's surface and what position the top of the screen is. Just ask if you have any questions about it. If anyone else is wondering if this is a tutorial, the answer is no. I haven't got to that yet. It doesn't mean you can't look at it though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for not replying sooner - been sitting for the exams.

If so, please do. I would appreciate it.

EDIT:Erm... Just checked out Xoram's game, but failed to find the effect I mentioned above.

Then you're playing the wrong one. The one entitled SPA and has just a plain background with dark blue floor is the one. When you get to the bottom you will find the water effect.

gamemaker is

background_x[6]=view_xview[0]/4;//edit scroll ratios if desired
background_y[6]=view_yview[0]/1.08;

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

you can change the 4 and the 1.08

also change the 6 and 0 depending on the view and background #

to get it to fit a background on the us the therum above

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

i assume you dont wanna use up all of your backgrounds on this seeing as there are about 4 here and 3 at the top, just put a trigger, basicly

{if block} (inwater==1)

{start block}

{replace background}(use lighter one)

inwater=0

{end block}

{if block} (inwater==-1)

{start block}

{replace background} (use darker one)

inwater=0

{end block}

if u get in the water

turn inwater=-1