A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

(Updated!) Easy Media Player 1.0 Release (freeware)

Jsonic

EMP%20Logo.png

Take charge of your media playback!

This is EMP, a lite yet powerful media player (For Windows only) made in MMF2Dev and powered by DirectX (via the Direct Show object). Enjoy your music, and not the sometimes long wait times caused by other media player memory hogs like Windows Media Player 11. I know there are several other lite media players out there on the web, but none quite like this one.

Enjoy this free program, its only 653KB uncompressed, and uses an average of 1.62MB of RAM at runtime, even with a huge playlist! Is that impressive or what!? XD

Just drag, drop and play! Its that easy.

Feedback is welcome, feature suggestions too.

Download here

Edit: Update! I fixed the shuffle mode bug!

Edit2: Updated! basic video support added.

In case you find this helpful, JSonic, WMP (at least v11) seems to store it's playlists in an HTML/XML styled format (dunno what the correct term is). So if you load a playlist using let's say the String Parser 2 plugin, you should be able to grab the data properly. I know you can find all this out by opening a playlist in notepad, but I figured I'd save you some hunting:

Example:

<media src="I:\Downloads\Music\M\Machinae Supremacy\Overworld [2008]\01 - Overworld.mp3" cid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" tid="{B44B3B5B-A064-4AB3-8B97-A7B3B56B724E}"/>

<media src="I:\Downloads\Music\M\Machinae Supremacy\Overworld [2008]\02 - Need for Steve.mp3" cid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" tid="{E6653F3F-4ADE-4167-A586-AFDF482BF076}"/>

<media src="I:\Downloads\Music\M\Machinae Supremacy\Overworld [2008]\03 - Edge and Pearl.mp3" cid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" tid="{95D9F41A-E55A-4592-AB1E-B41EBC30C83B}"/>

I'm not sure what cid and tid do exactly, however, you're probably more interested in the source location (src). With that knowledge, it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

We'll see, the current .emp is simple for me because its actually just the List Object Save format with a modified extension name on it. I didn't have to code a reading/writing process for EMP. If someone wants to help me make it better, contact me and we'll talk about shearing the source data and credits. Also, I did give EMP a small bit of support for .ASX stream files, but it has the be the one in INI format. It can't be the .ASX that comes in HTML format, although the one in HTML format points to the one that's in INI format.

I'd definitely use this if you could actually change the playback position.

If someone wants to help me make it better, contact me and we'll talk about shearing the source data and credits.

I'm kinda interested in helping. This little utility has quite a bit of potential and a few improvements could make this a nice tool.

Edit: btw, I hope this ~1week bump is ok; I've been meaning to post in this topic for some time but it's been slipping my mind until now.