A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Game Programming.

Asuma

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He asked for our opinion of Ruby. Ruby is a scripting language. He was correct. How in the hell did he answer his own question?

You mean since Ruby isn't used to program games? Eh. He just asked for opinions. Maybe he wants to do more than game programming. That is why I asked, what it had to do with games.

Ruby is a programming language. It's scripting. There really is no difference and I will punch anyone who says there is.

Just because one is for web and one is for binaries?

As long as you are programming a function via a language you are programming. God help you if you tell me I haven't been programming when I spend 4 weeks trying to write a forum in ruby.

Ruby is an object oriented programming language. Scripting doesn't mean just web you know. Scripting is any language.

Please don't be tards. You are streaming content off of a slow web page.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

And yeah Kor, its' also a solid example of "Omigosh Epon, what the hell were you thinking? We still lub you though :3"

What?

~~EDIT~~

And this stupid "10 character limit" is pretty gay.

It's old, and in case you haven't noticed age makes thinks automatically bad.

Nah, Pascal's a lower level language, plus its structure is quite different from C. Plus it makes you hate the words "begin" and "end."

Either or, but single sprites are a lot more of a hassle. Usually you want to pick a standard square size for your character (like 32x32), and keep all of the frames within that size. Then, make a sprite sheet, make sure everything is evenly spaced, and blit from the sheet. It's pretty easy in SDL.

Java: Well, there is the JIT( Just-In-Time ) Compiler, which compile java code to native binaries. This helps speed tremendously, and is the only way to go in games with java ( to some extent. Small games like Sonic games can easily use Java VM without any speed problems. 3D accelerated games though, will be very very slow in the VM, and the JIT is REQUIRED in order to get performance)

EDIT: Sidenote: Just because there is a native compiler doesnt mean Java is a good choice for games. Java is very very high level, and very unsuited for performance needing applications/games. On the other hand, C and C++, are both very low level, and offers lots of flexibility, and great communication with hardware. And they are the languages which there is most information on, so theres always a good tutorial suited for you. Dont take any shortcuts, C or C++ is the way to go. There is a C compiler for almost every platform out there, theres even C compilers made for the kind of chip that is inside your mp3 player!

Not C++ compilers. C++ are not efficient for small devices. Just C compilers. No visual basic, no dreamweaver, no nothing. C. Learn C, then learn C++ ( most C++ compilers support ANSI C, so you can program in C and use a C++ compiler )

EDIT: Remember that C isnt as strict as C++ when it comes casting of types. So you have to use a typecast, or you will get a error/warning. In C you can for example pass a void pointer to a pointer to anything without typecasting. In C++, this is not the case. The compiler will signal a error or warning