A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Indiana Jones 4

wesker

The scene with Shia and the monkeys on the vines made me cringe.

I'd equate LaBoeuf with Justin Long's character in Live Free or Die Hard. If I could, I'd stuff them both into one of those fantastical refrigerators and hurl them into space.

I dunno if they'll have to add more to the NO montage; I wasn't paying attention because the movie's pace was pretty fast. If I ever see it again, I'll definitely keep tabs on that shit, though.

I wasn't paying attention because the movie's pace was pretty fast. If I ever see it again, I'll definitely keep tabs on that shit, though.

You're right. I couldn't keep tabs of what was going on the entire time. The scene changes way too much, and thus, minimal character development. Shia does say "no, no, no" somewhere.

The scene with Shia and the monkeys on the vines made me cringe.

Was it the fact that it was Shia or was it the fact that it was obviously made on a computer? If you picked both, you're a winner.

Well, I like how the puzzle solving was quick instead of "let's sit in a library and figure this shit out," but I wish I had some time to think along with them. The pacing followed this pattern:

1) There's a cryptic riddle right over there.

2) Indy knows this shit. PG is impressed by how Indy's way cooler than that kid in the jacket.

3) Aw fuck! The bad guys!

4) Yakkity Sax

So yea, Indy doesn't really develop, but I don't think he needed to. He's old, so he's supposed to be on top of this shit. Fonzi seems to be thrown in haphazardly just to be a foil to the legendary Jones, so he ends up being a shallow addition to the "solve riddle, kick ass, make a break for it" formula.

Also, Indiana Jones 5:

The Temple of Xenu. It'll starr Shia as the new Indy, and his partner is going to be a CGI dog or monkey that's descended from Jar Jar Binks (you know, for the kids).

He'll run around and be all goofy because he doesn't know anything, but in the end, he saves this cute girl and rides off into the sunset with his chick in one hand and pet in the other.

I'll bet $50 it'll happen. Just watch.

*new guy waves*

May as well start in a topic I've been thinking about lately.

So I saw Indy at launch with a huge (30-40) group of friends, dressed up last minute (oh come on, the only thing I bought was a fedora down at the Walgreens around the corner for $10), and had a blast. The entire experience was fun, and, in effect, may have swayed my opinion on the film.

The CGI monkeys were the worst scene in the entire film, but the quicksand/notquicksand was the best. I haven't laughed that hard at a Ford role since his "death" scene in Crusade.

Ultimately, if you knew that ____ were going to be in the movie, you would have gone in pessimistic (myself) and emerged pleasantly surprised. For that reason, I'm going to now spoil that ONE aspect of the movie, and I encourage you all to read this, but I'll tag it anyways. There will be nothing but that one spoiler, so don't worry, I'm not going to ruin the film here:

So, Lucas has (apparently, grapevine here, but movie industry grapevine) always made the Indy films as parodies of films from time eras, starting in the 20s with Raiders and moving to the 50s with Skull (a good example of this is the 40s Western feel of Crusade, with its many horseback chases and its rock canyon scenes out in the desert). If Skull parodied the 50s, that would mean it would be making fun of the Alien invasion films that were so popular during the red scare (which built on our fear of nukes and commies on home soil). Lucas originally wanted just that: Indiana versus the Men from Mars. Everyone else hated the idea, and there was no Indy film in the 90s. Everyone moved on for a while, until Lucas came back and rewrote the script to tone everything down according to what everyone else wanted. The end result? The film works just like an Indy film should, if it has to have Aliens in it, and it did.

Honestly, I'm not too fond of Lucas's idea in the first place, as it forces the genre for Indy films to jump around far too much. I like what they did in Indy IV though, because they did what Lucas wanted, but also made it feel like an Indy film. If they can do that for the 60s too, I'll be just as happy with Indy V.