A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Pheonix Gamma

"oh what the fuck ever. I'm tired of people complaining about names. It doesn't freaking matter."

Oh, bullshit Aerosol. It's always mattered. This forum has always complained about names, why is this any diff- oh, yah. Bioware. Nevermind, right? Haha, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting this to be bad. Just love seeing people suddenly have a change of heart.

"Just because a game is Turn-Based doesnt make it simple. They get as complicated as the designer wants them to."

I don't see anywhere in his post where he said it was going to be too simple? Or anything about difficulty, really.

I vaguely remember complaints about SA's adventuring. This is going to be interesting.

From what the article showed, it seems the story is fully in biowares hands, with sega just feeding them back story.

And you can't tell me the artwork and style doesn't look badass?

I dunno, the combat system sounds like it can definitely work, especially the way they explained it in the article.

I mean seriously, how are you going to be controlling other party members when you're hauling ass as sonic in real time. Some people will bring up the gambit system from FFXII, but that thing just over streamlined things for me, it felt weird.

Or it could be like Tales of Symphonia where you can swap your control character in battle and then the others get taken over by AI.

Scatta: I said generic, but yeah, he isn't really getting what I was saying either way. He's assuming it's generic because it's turned-based and not generic because it use a generic JRPG system.

The combat reminds me vaguely of something from Legend of Dragoon.

Whats a JRPG combat engine

The JRPG is typified by the following:

Display of a simple HUD during battle containing simple information about the characters as well as either a command menu or a display of the commands.

Simultaneous multiple character control by reducing player work load to issuing orders.

Orders give a single attack rather than a general concept that is executed. Rather than moving to the enemy and attacking until told to do otherwise like a character a Western RPG, the attack command is a single issue single instance command that is not repeated unless the player issues it again (or in P3's case, their turn comes around and the AI issues the command).

Other JRPG cliches include:

The main character WILL have a sword. If he doesn't have a sword, he will go the secondary route to coolness and have a gun. Alternatively, he will have a gun and a sword, or in other cases, his sword will in fact also be a gun.

Magic will suck compared to physical attacks. The sole exception to this comes in the form of your curative spells, which are absolutely necessary for the completion of the game (In most Western RPGs, healing spells are next to worthless and should never be employed by a main character). Mages tend to suck, unless their primary function lies in whacking something with a sword or puncturing it with a gun. In fact, the only real point in your mages lies in using debuffing spells on the enemy and hasting your gun/sword users so that you can make the game 10% as difficult as it would be otherwise... but you can just give those spells to your sword/gun users anyway, so you should just take another sword/gun user and have him waste a turn or two on those spells. Magic that does do as much damage as your main sword/gun user's physical attack will cost so much MP that using it 4 times will render that character entirely out of commission. In the meantime, the sword user will keep whacking away for 9999 damage a slice until he either collapses under the weight of his colossal weapon or he has cut his enemy into bits.

The plot WILL have deliberate inconsistencies for the purpose of generating 'whoazmagoshthisissodeep' fanboys who delight in faking meaning from bullshit.

The likability of the protagonist WILL be determined with the following formula: (Androgynousness) * 40% + (spikes in hair) * 20% + (troubled past) * 30% + (size of sword(s)/gun(s)/both) * 10%

There WILL be a fundamental shocking plot twist which creates more inconsistencies with the story than anything before it. The acceptance of the game by the gaming community as a whole will be directly proportional to the number of inconsistencies the central plot twist contains.