A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Invent

jamesmchapman

You suggested I make a topic, so I did :tbored: .

Sonic Invent is a game where you choose a character and level then design a level and play :tsleep: . It's still very basic and few characters actually have levels. I've never been good at badniks :squestion: in games so once get that sorted I'll put them in too. It already features rings, tiles and player characters. It has a small music player that works most of the time. there are a few glitches to sort out too.

A few pictures:

piccie2.PNG

piccie.PNG

piccie3.PNG

Less of a demo, more of as far as I have got:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a54tvybuto3

(The logo on this one is all thats different.)

[EDIT] Just noticed a problem with Metal Sonic, moving to the left uses Sonic sprites... O_o

LOL that cursor is from maplestory...

looks neat, ima try it now! rep+!

EDIT: May i suggest using FileFront as a file thingy-bob, because the sendspace takes 60 seconds of my life away! :P

EDIT2: Well, its nice, but as soon as i got onto the stage editor, i clicked the character, then i jogged my hand and it went offscreen and then tails was gone..... errm, you can only put 1 tile on the map i think, you could do the "paste onto background as obstical" i think... or make a level THEN play it, not both at the same time :o

Host-A FTW.

Anyway...

Suggestion-

You know MMF's Global values? Set the value to a different number for each character.

Then set the character to appear on the stage-building screen based on that number. It'll be a hell of a lot easier for ya, and makes the game smaller in size.

Wait for the demo before saying crap like that, red.

Actually, that's great that he said that, and it seems like it's too late to tell james that, seeing as how he used it.

James: You have an interesting project, but I disapprove the use of the Built-in buggyness that is MMF's platform movement, static should be right up your alley. They're easy to make as well, take a look at some tutorials and engines on the main site.

Btw, are you gonna have more tiles/objects in this game?

Yeah, I'm gonna put a lot more stuff in. I'm trying to design a Puzzle mode of sorts. I'll also put in more tiles and stuff when every character has both levels.

I dunno about static, I was around a bit when they started releasing all these new engine types and stuff and they confused me rather greatly (I was only about 10 or 11, mind). I get very confused by simple Sonic engine stuff like badniks and everything so it will be a while before I get everything in.

It's looking good. It reminds me of Sonic DIY.

@James: A static engine is not too complicated. I recommend you to use Sly's Tails static engine as a base for your game.

I have a small static engine that I was going to use for SAR, but I switched to 360º now. If you want, I can put it here.

And, I don't see a 'Save level' option there... ...you'll need it. If you are wondering how you can save levels with MMF, I can help you.

Keep it up, James.