A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Help] Worlds Version

True Blue

Hi. I decided to make my game over the Sonic Worlds engine. I've realized that trying to make an engine from scratch, would take me a lot of energy to make the level design. So now, I have a problem.

Since the engine is not finished, I've been thinking if I really should start replacing the sprites in the beta version.

When the finished version comes, I'm afraid I'll have to replace them again, if I want my engine to work better. New characters, new gimmicks, some changes may be made (some group events may change place, or may change name),... So I'm wandering how will I adapt my game for engine improvement, if I don't have all the stuff.

I'll eventually change Sonic's speed or something, and if I want to use the best version there is, I'm afraid I'd have to start all over again, and make the same changes I already made.

I tried to see f I should use "AidForblaze", since it has some new gimmicks, but I was wondering that maybe that one is a bit messed up, and it would be harder to work there.

Bottom line, what I was asking for was to learn how to, maybe if it's possible, pass my changes to the engine directly to the finished version of the engine when it's done. I don't know what you can do for me, but I wanted to say this.

Or is there a way to guarantee that the group events won't change name or place, and all I have to do will be adding the new stuff to the beta version. O f course I'll have to maintain the name of the objects.

I'll appreciate any word of advice. And sorry for being such a newbie.

There's a new one. Look in the gimmick contest thread. That's the latest "release"

Oh no! I can't enter it. It gives an error.

Anyway, my question is: even if there's a new version, how will the ones who are making a game in the 1st version of Worlds (like me), are gonna update their game through the new version?

Stuff ports from older versions just fine.

Excuse me, what does that mean exactly?

remove the musics that'll be played. That'll remove the error you get in the newest "worlds" version.

Thanks. I a now play, but why can't I choose Sonic? And why do you have an event for the boss' music, but there is no boss?

I still don't know what Aylingling meant to say. Even if it means that I can just copy-paste the events and the objects into my game, and they'll have my edited sprites? I'm sorry, he just wasn't clear enough.

Can you explain what is the replace function? It doesn't really need to be detailed. Just tell me what you know.

Put your new object in. We'll call it PlayerSkin_New, for the sake of this explanation. Say you want to replace Sonic's skin with the new skin. Find PlayerSkin_Sonic on top, right click it. Find the option like *Replace object* or something. Find PlayerSkin_New, and select it. Now PlayerSkin_New has all of PlayerSkin_Sonic's events, and PlayerSkin_Sonic has no events.

Get it now?

Edit- PM me this stuff and I can work on it. I'm too lazy to make my own game, but I could really help you.

Put your new object in. We'll call it PlayerSkin_New, for the sake of this explanation. Say you want to replace Sonic's skin with the new skin. Find PlayerSkin_Sonic on top, right click it. Find the option like *Replace object* or something. Find PlayerSkin_New, and select it. Now PlayerSkin_New has all of PlayerSkin_Sonic's events, and PlayerSkin_Sonic has no events.

Get it now?

Edit- PM me this stuff and I can work on it. I'm too lazy to make my own game, but I could really help you.

Where's the replace option? I can't find it. What do you mean by "find PlayerSkin_Sonic on top"?