A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before the Sequel

S0LV0

SBTS.jpg
Featuring a fully original soundtrack and new sprites, Sonic Before The Sequel '12 has been released!

Sonic Before The Sequel is a fangame by LakeFeperd. The game is designed to explain what happened between Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic The Hedgehog 2, such as how Tails met Sonic, how the Death Egg was built, etc. The game uses the Sonic Worlds engine, and is very similar in design and gameplay to other Classic Sonic games, with 12 zones and 2 different endings. The ending you achieve depends on your "Time Points," points that reduce as you play through the game.

The newest '12 release features a fully new OST and custom sprites.

Windows Download
Mac Download - NOTE: Cutscenes do NOT work in this version, so keep them off.

OST Playlist
OST Download

Note: You can press "U" at the title screen to access the level select menu, among others. You can also press "U" mid-game to skip to the next level.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, should I download this game? I've been close to downloading it before but I've just sort of... not done it. I hear great things about the gameplay and the soundtrack but I need some more opinions before I try it.

• 4 months later...

I'm just going to dump what I know about this game in this topic:

S-box locations:

HHZ2 - Top left near some springs and an offscreen sign

StShZ3 - Underneath the inaccessible fly box

RRZ2 - Top route after a Spring Yard Spike. You have to activate it offscreen.

SuStZ1 - On top of a pipe with a hard-to-reach ring box

FFZ2 - Bottom route. Activate it in one of the loop-de-loop pipes. It's pretty early.

Secret levels/cutscenes/other:

Full menu (before beating game): Press U at title screen.

Super Sonic: Press P on full menu.

Original opening cutscene: Press U in level select.

Hilltop Zone: Press U in the HHZ-StShZ cutscene.

Starlight Carnival Zone: Mash U after Rocky Ride Boss title card fades to black. Very tricky.

Bad ending: Press U during the good ending, but before the next level starts.

Glitches/Replay fun:

Play the game fullscreen. Weird stuff happens.

Super Sonic gets a new life every time he passes 100 rings. Abuse in special stages.

Press U after hitting a checkpoint, but before clearing a level via sign to prevent your checkpoint counter from resetting. Have fun on top of the levels!

Air dash/Peelout glitch: Get hit while charging your peelout. You can now move freely, but keep charging it. Let go in mid-air to air dash.

Evade crushing: Time a jump perfectly before getting crushed to float to the top of whatever was crushing you, be it a backdrop or an active.

Many of these glitches/tricks exist in Sonic ATS as well, except in ATS the peelout glitch is far easier to execute! Dunno...just wanted to catalog these for fun/recreational use.