A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

1st Tutorial Competition: Badnik A.I.

TRD

-Do they have to be genesis badnicks only?

Nope. any Badnik from the 2D Sonic is fine, that includes Advance and whatnot.

-Sonic Worlds or Pixel/Static exclusive or free choice?

Free of choice.

-Bosses should so be included (suggestion.).

Who knows? MAYBE that'll be the next theme. ;]

Are trying to emulate badniks or A.I here? If it's the former, you'd might as well just call it a "badnik contest".

Aero, we are emulating Badnik A.I. for a specific badnik for a specific zone. Is that a better explanation for you?

• 2 weeks later...

erm. The topic seems a tad bit vague... don'tcha think? Different enemies require different AIs(So making a "tutorial" for enemy AI isn't really the topic for a competition... since if you were to make your own game they would be so versed). Maybe if you're looking for help for something specific that's cool... but I just don't see how you'll compare for example a tutorial on a Charging Rhino Bot from S3 to perhaps a crab from Sonic 1? :P... or even a Shark from S3 or a Monkey from S2. All 3 of those examples are insanely opposite. I mean I can see how you can have a "competition", but I don't see a fair way to judge it personally. Is it on technicality, originality? Certain badniks have certain simple functions that will suit it better than maybe a really technical one(thus making that a good AI for that particular bot). Just my opinion though :.

Intelligent people can take concepts they have learned from looking at one or more enemy and relate that to new potential enemies.

Also, I don't find the monkey and the crab to be particlarly opposite at all. One moves around in y at a slow pace while occasionally changing direction while the other moves around in y while occasionally changing direction. Both shoot a simple projectile with a standard parabolic path. I don't see what makes you think it would be hard to take programming concepts from one to make the other. As for the rhino bot... Well, you should be able to figure that out based on another badnik that peforms an action when a player is in a position relative to it much like the buzzbomber.

You just need to learn to think a little more malleable.

I'm a little put off by the fact that they have to be from the same zone. What I'd like to do is take a few enemies that show certain concepts that many other badnicks use (for example, ones with entirely pathed/scripted movements to one that does something when Sonic's near to one who maybe has a little of both) and describe them in general terms. But it's hard to find a zone with good ones.

I'll probably just to Angle Island, since I already have 2 of them programed from way back (probably need some dusting off, though).

You just need to learn to think a little more malleable

That is exactly what I'm saying. Concepts like these do not come from micking other's but more from creative problem solving(so... pretty much an individual's thinking ability will help them to create simple AI... when put in such a vague sense). I see what you're saying though by trying to let others see examples of logic being used. It's just unfortunate that a lot of these sort of specific tutorials more often than not become a crutch for a lot of begginers and they never get better(a big reason I think why most fangames are really jerky and unnatural). And yes, this is a little bit hypocritical in a sense since I used to post specific "CnC Movement" fixes some 5-8 odd years ago lol. Guess my view just changed through my experience.

Just an opinion though ;] Not trying to stop the party.

I think that's a matter of tutorial quality. If your object is sufficiently generic (in the sense that it does not depend on any external concept too specifically) and complete, then you can create an object which is meant to be used, but not understood, and have others put it in their game. It's like a blackbox who's I/O is easily understood, but it's methods are completely unknown to the user. As well, if you create a well-documented, well-commented, somewhat hands-on and easily-understandable tutorial, sufficiently-experienced users will learn and be able to apply the concepts.

I like to think of the Sonic World's engine to be the perfect Blackbox example (though there is some degree of easy editability in its internals) whereas tutorials like Gamerdude's 360° engine breakdown are good examples of the latter.

edit: good idea about editing after SAGE. With SAGE, there was probably too much going on with most people anyway.

• 2 weeks later...