A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

World-wide multiple paths

So, I was sitting around today and got to thinking: Wouldn't it be cool if a Sonic game was so huge that multiple paths would not only be in the acts themselves, but outside the act as well? Such as completing an Act 1 level in one way, you would go to Act 2, but completing it another would take you to Act 4 or something. This could lead to Different bosses, leading to a different storyline and overall a more memorable experience and much higher replay. Of course, it would take alot more work/effort, and make many fangamers quit due to the massive amount of time it would take, but in the end it could turn out great. Yay or nay? Discuss.

(I'm thinking of doing this myself, I started thinking this up because your rivals in my game are Knuckles, Fang, Metal Sonic, and Robotnik, and I needed a way to fight them all a few times in about 7-10 zones.)

So far I've been sketching maps and such, and developed this:

Act 1 decides most of your fate, you could go to Act 2, 3, or 4 depending on how well you do. 2, 3, and 4 each have a midboss at the end such as Fang, Knuckles, or Metal. After the defeat of said miniboss, depending on how well you do, you will either go to a different midboss act, or go to Act 5 where you face Robotnik as a boss.

This is just a simple beginning idea, though. I'm still concepting, as I would like more variety than this.

So, your planning a " Completion Range " of sorts? Its Simple, theory wise, but tedious in all other parts. You would need to modify whatever intros & misc movements you have and whatnot ( Title Card, Dying, etc. ) to correspond to the gigantic stage. then there is designing it.

But thats really it. everything else is based engine-wise