A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Cookie Clicker Appreciation Thread

InfinityAlex

It's not really much of a videogame, but it can be classed as such. Cookie Clicker is very self explanatory; click the cookie. As you click, you will earn cookies which let you buy new items and upgrades to make even more cookies. This a really good way to waste time and you can build up a large supply of cookies if you leave the game running. Here's teh link:

http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

• 9 months later...

I fail to see the hooking element in this. In fact, I'm still baffled this exists...

Well Psychologically, tapping something over and over and gaining reward from it over and over gives you the feeling of positive gain, and keeps you tapping to increase the number of the reward.

Non-boring version: People just...do it.

It's just a huge psychological thing, you always want to have more and obtain methods to obtain that more at a faster rate, even though you're actually just clicking. It's pretty clever actually.

So this game about clicking cookies and summoning grannies has the same basic psychological effect as mind-altering drugs? Holy crap, that's weird.

You know spinboxes, right? These are the widgets that have a number on it with two arrows on the side.

When I hold one arrow down, the value starts changing at a slow rate, and when a certain time is reached, it changes even faster. I find absolutely no reward or incentive to keep going from this, though. The widget only gets less and less accurate as speed increases.

To each their own, I guess. I know it's not the same thing here but I couldn't resist. |3

I played it for a day (not a full day mind you just a few hours), got bored after trying to see how many legit clicks I could get so I started cheating to get all the funny stuff people kept talking about. After that I was done with it. I can see how people would get hooked but its not something I personally would play again.