A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

First contact : Beta engine released

Damizean

Yeah, I remember that, it's why I decided to make a level editor in the first place...

I just added a bunch more features, including layering, drag selection, properties for each object, with external properties dialogs, object type groupings (in the library file) and the almighty select + del key...

With his game though... both people had to have the level file in order to play...

If I'm correct, Dami just wants to have everything playable in the vitalize window... Loading external images probably won't work very nicely...

http://darkdjinn.brpxqzme.net/sonicworlds.zip

right click -> save as

3 Gimmicks added to the Engine:

Swings (Dami did the trig, I did the 360 integration)

Metropolis Zone nut and screw gimmick

Starlight Zone flame spitter (lacking some animations, flame shield enabled)

Also, I added a gimmick actions object for holding variables. Mostly for things like hanging so that you have more states for Sonic to use.

Dami, you need to add a second mask for detecting hits against the player :P. Preferably something with a frame for each player that just has the box to collide with so that you can just define it by the player's state.

This is a small taste of whats going to be included with Gimmick Pack 1, which I've decided to use Dami's Sonic World's engine as the primary distribution medium.

Because its very smooth.

EDIT:

A word to the wise on Gimmicks such as swinging platforms.

Each of these gimmicks contains a rather large amount of active objects - around 12 or so. When using lots of bridges in tandem, you can quickly amass a large pile of active objects. This isn't a problem, and my crappy computer had no trouble processing 20 of the swinging platforms simultaneously. However, you'll notice as you start to climb that your other objects can end up disappearing. Should this happen, you'll need to increase your object limit. I increased it to 1000 (from 500) with no noticeable frame rate drop and the problem went away.

By the way, you probably won't want to use more than 4 or 5 of the same gimmick within a single stage anyway. Under most circumstances I mean.

Its significantly faster than the one from Sonic 2... partly out of personal preference, partly out of how buggy it was being when I tried to emulate the Sonic 2 method :P.

I hope everything is adequately commented on.

Oh, and I have a feeling Dami will be moving those gimmicks into one of his folders later on. I'd have done it myself, but I figured my changes should be obvious and its not like they are particularly hard to move.

Awesome stuff DW :D I'll be adding this right now to the base engine of Sonic World. Anyway, I saw you didn't add the qualifier 2 for the Swinging Platform' platform, so, when going from one to another a little angle is detected :e (By the way, objects need a naming convention!)

Problem with Qualifier 2 is that if you end up on it from a strange angle (like being launched off a ramp, it'll make you have that angle even if you are on a perfectly flat platform. Just something to fix I guess.

I'll be less lazy with naming conventions (folders too) in the next set of gimmicks I add to this.

I probably shouldn't have given the swinging platforms their own qualifiers (2 of them), but I figured it was one of the most used oldschool gimmicks, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as we don't give qualifiers to the majority of gimmicks.

Next time you give me an updated engine Dami, could you add a hanging animation to Sonic's sprite?

Problem with Qualifier 2 is that if you end up on it from a strange angle (like being launched off a ramp, it'll make you have that angle even if you are on a perfectly flat platform. Just something to fix I guess.

I'll be less lazy with naming conventions (folders too) in the next set of gimmicks I add to this.

I probably shouldn't have given the swinging platforms their own qualifiers (2 of them), but I figured it was one of the most used oldschool gimmicks, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as we don't give qualifiers to the majority of gimmicks.

Next time you give me an updated engine Dami, could you add a hanging animation to Sonic's sprite?

Hmm, strange, I though I fixed the angle leftover thing. Anyway, I'll ook into it. And yeah, the next time I'll be giving some more character animations and that sensor you requested :3

As much as I think this is a great engine. Aren't you doing the work for most people? I mean half the fun was making the engine. Give or take I looked at your original 360 engine for mine, but atleast I made my own engine. Great work though!

Well, the idea is that its sort of a community project. You have people who specialize mostly in making levels, the people who program features for the engine, and of course... Dami, who just plain rocks at everything.

Besides, this way we can collaborate to fix any small problems that arise.

Other than that, it is great to look at for learning organization skills, particularly for people who want to make thier own engines.

So how's this "database" of online levels going to work? I actually have a small idea myself if you haven't already got the bugs worked out.

Basically you use your basic server, and use the FTP extension.

-At the start of game, connect to "Server" from Port "x" with username and pass.

-The player creates a level within and then using the FTP object, it uploads it to a folder.

-There will be an option to view all the levels (Using the List Extension.) , and essentially when you double click a level you wish to view it downloads the level file into an obscure place such as "C:/lev". Once the person is done viewing that level, the file is deleted using the "file" extension.

This method could also be used to add a person's music to the level. While in level creation, you upload music to the server. (You can set a file size limit via FTP using the event editor.) So when the person views the level, the sounds the person wishes to use are downloaded to a folder called "C:/lev/music". All these musics and sounds will be deleted once the user exits Sonic Worlds, leaving convienence for multiple loadings in the same session.

Now did I just ramble on into something that's already covered/people already use?

I don't think they would want levels just to appear on the server without being checked. Just imagine the glitchy levels you can't get though, the virused levels, the ones jam packed with nothing but profanity...

I don't think they would want levels just to appear on the server without being checked. Just imagine the glitchy levels you can't get though, the virused levels, the ones jam packed with nothing but profanity...

Well you really couldn't have "virus" levels as the levels would be created via the application itself, but I suppose you could create a system of reporting if you couldn't complete a level and the like. You'd have to take it as a type of Wikipedia system. It could be really good, but really bad if you have jerks whom rather horse around.

A new solution for background music, would be to use the Vitalize plug-in. Wit h the download feature, so the person would have to host their own music.

http://darkdjinn.brpxqzme.net/worlds/Sonic%20Worlds%20Beta%20004.zip

Two more Gimmicks added. Actually, its more like one gimmick with an option.

First:

Hanging Pole - hangs from ceiling of some sort. While on the pole, you can't move, but you can jump off. Also, speed is still accumulated while on the gimmick, so you can be moving rather fast when you jump off. Its limited to a speed of 5 in either direction though and if you release the button, all of the speed gain is gone until you charge it up again.

Finally, if you hit the gimmick while holding the down arrow key, you will not catch the bar.

Gimmick 2:

Moving Bar

Same as the other one, only it operates on the moving platforms method so that it can zip around at any given speed.

I've also included a good combination use of the swinging platform and the idle bar gimmick, so give it a try.

That's where a rating system could come in.

Also, you could probably group levels into catagories. Most levels would be in a public section where you can expect anything, but levels with higher status/ranking can be placed into a different catagory where you can expect the levels to be of quality.

Anyways, great engine Damizean. It runs sexy smooth and the physics are great ( along with your bridge which kills mine ). The most notible bug I've really noticed is that you can change your direction while in the death sequence, but it's rather easy for someone to fix themselves.

For now, I'm going to assume Dami would say yes, but you should definitely give credit to Dami unconditionally. Especially seeing as he you know... provided the engine.

If you choose to use my gimmicks, you might consider crediting me as well, but I'm not the type to get all anal over something like that (but you should since its common decency). Everyone that matters in my eyes wouldn't have any trouble figuring out where they came from if they saw you using them.