A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic_Adventure_screenshot.jpg

Sonic Adventure was Sonic's big step into 3D. It was released in 1998, at the time receiving critical acclaim and selling millions. In 2003 an updated version was released which introduced more new problems than it fixed. It was met with a mixed reception. It sold pretty well regardless.

Sonic Adventure is 14 years old. It has had numerous ports and rereleases. How well do you think it holds up today?

I personally believe it has aged decently. Not great, but not bad either. Graphically it still looks pretty good. Gameplay-wise however, its flaws are a lot more apparent than they used to be. The controls are quite twitchy. The game has a good idea of how Sonic should control in 3D, but I do not believe they pulled it off too well. Story-wise, it's still good in my eyes. I still find myself going back to the game a couple of times per year. I'd like to hear your opinion on the subject.

I never played it when it first game out so I played the release for ps3... It was fun for a while.

Gameplay: I enjoyed playing as everyone but Big... I hate him >:C

Story: It was pretty cool makes me wonder why tikal didn't replace omochao in Speed Highway

Graphic: The fact that it was an old game it fits...

When it comes to story, Sonic Adventure gets a high grade in that department, probably better than it's sequel. I'll agree that the controls can be a bit wonky at times and mostly for me, it leads to a direct death spot. I can't go too fast with Sonic without losing a life. This is especially present when I'm running from the whale. The graphics were fitting at the time, DX upgraded the graphics, which made them look better, yet polished them so hard that they have a shiny surface. All in all, I think this game holds up great. I'd pop it in my Wii anytime.

It's okay. Most people either overrate it or underrate it. I feel the same way about Adventure 2.

I tend to prefer Heroes and Shadow because while they share a lot of the same elements, they're not broken up into separate "styles" of gameplay. They're also faster and more complex than the vanilla Sonic/Shadow gameplay in SA1/2. I don't really think Sonic Team's weird genre roulette format worked well until Unleashed.

Story - The story is pretty decent. Mostly Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Amy, Gamma, were decent, not part of the plot or involve Chaos as much as them, but it's something I guess. Big's gameplay, do I really need to explain his? Bad Idea Sega.

The stages are great in my opinion. 

Graphics were decent as well, but I prefer the DC version because the character models weren't so freakin' shiny and lighting were better.

The soundtrack is my favorite out of the series. I could just listen to it all day without a care in the world. 

I don't know how to explain the gameplay, but It's okay, kinda odd but it works with them. Each character had 
good momentum with them.

So I believe the game aged well. 

This is just my personal opinion, not necessarily a critique. But I still kind of like both Sonic adventure titles. Im not the kind of person who plays a video game twice, or read a book more than once. And yet for some reason from time to time I find myself playing some levels from both Sonic adventure games. Especially city escape and twinkle park. Even though the graphics are not up to par with the graphics of today, there is still a certain charm to these games that I find still appealing to this day. I like Sonic, but its also fun playing as other characters like being able to soar through the air as knuckles. I also liked how you could explore environments and find hidden areas in both games.

Sonic Adventure 2 was the first game I played, which was also was the first video game soundtrack I ever listened to. Introducing me to the wonderful world of video game music. So I realize that my opinion on the Sonic Adventure Series may be a bit biased. However I do stand by my opinion that it would be nice to be able to play as other sonic characters in future games (not just sport related ones :D )

Edited by Neon the Hedgehog

I enjoy both Adventure titles, probably more the first than the second, but they aren't without their faults. The Big sections in SA1 are terrible, and the Tails/ Robotnik mech stuff in SA2 is so dull and boring. I think it's unfair to compare 1999 graphics to those of 2013, but I do think the games look nice, especially during the games set pieces such as the aformentioned whale.

I've not actually finished SA2 as I found the difficulty level (or maybe frustration level is more the right term) ramps up so much at the end I go sick of fighting with it. However, I do still play and enjoy them.