A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

You know what? I don't have too many complaints about the game balance. Watching that smash tournament confirmed one thing, which is at the very least the game isn't as insultingly oppressive as Brawl was. It's no melee, and some features I really like (L-cancelling, dashdancing) are gone. But that's fine, i wasn't expecting a melee. At the very least Smash 4 clearly has removed its hitstun cancelling and it appears as if the stale move reduction has been put back to melee levels as well, to not troll players who are fighting well like brawl did. That final match with Hungrybox vs Zero managed to get pretty hype, especially the point where hungrybox had zero figured out and started breaking through his annoying zoning. The sudden death was annoying, and Hungrybox's lack of ability to combo ZSS after he caught him off normal game was kind of annoying. But the game is new, players are fresh, ect ect.

All in all, i'm actually excited for this game now, with confirmed confidence, as long as it keeps going this route. I really hope Sakurai and Nintendo take something important away from this; if the game retains its depth it's more fun for everybody. The best part is how many competitive melee veterans participated in the tournament.

Most importantly though, a player has stated that nintendo actually sat down (with pen and paper) and wrote down impressions and suggestions from the competitors. Which, IMO, is the most significant announcement since the game itself was announced. 

• Like 1

Hey all, just got some Sonic tidbits to share with you. First off, Super Sonic *is* back as Sonic's Final Smash, something you guys will know if you've watched the Treehouse Event hosted by Nintendo.

SuperSonicSmash4_zpsfcfc8898.png

Sorry for the pic quality (I had to snap it straight from the youtube vid), but you can clearly tell it's him. This time around, upon activation, instead of the angry and dramatic "Now I'll show you!", we get a somewhat upbeat "Super Sonic style!", ripped straight from Generations' final cutscene (what is it with Sonic reusing snippets from Generations cutscenes?)

In other news, Shadow is back as an assist trophy, something which can be seen in the E3 invitational tournament.

ShadowSmash4_zps283d7271.png

Nothing much has changed here, but he does have a nice model! :)

Video *starts just after the trophy is activated*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTqaAs86xmU#t=957

Finally, the Egg Robo from Sonic and Knuckles will be appearing in Smash Run with its updated Generations look. Unfortunately I have no picture to show, but GameXplain did a gameplay video of the mode in which one can clearly see Egg Robo. In Smash Run, it will follow your player rather accurately, but can get stuck on ceilings and maybe walls. When close enough, it will shoot one or more regular shots between short intervals or charge up a laser which spans beyond the screen.

That's it.

EDIT: Actually, does anyone know the music that plays during Pac-Man's trailer?

EDIT 2: Never mind, found it. For anyone else who doesn't know, it's the Pac-Man Park theme from the Pacmania arcade game.

Edited by InfinityAlex
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who missed the big reveal today, here it is!

As for anyone who's never heard of Lucina and Robin, play Fire Emblem: Awakening. That game is seriously one of my favorite games of all time.

As for the trailer, it's freakin' awesome that these 2 (With Fabulous Falcon) are going to be in the game!

With these 3 announced, I guess my true main will be Robin, because I'm him in FE:A.

Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan

Guys, you're paranoid; they will never get rid of anyone from the core Smash cast, including the three original secret fighters. Ness, Falcon and Jigglypuff will always stick around. Besides, even if the other 2 haven't, Jigglypuff has gotten more relevant with her new fairy type.

i understand the need for hype, but i don't understand why they still think anyone from an original game deserves a "reveal" trailer, unless it's an old character who's no longer a clone.

If anything, they only need a "not coming back" trailer for veterans. There will be no surprises left in the roster. At this point it'll just be annoying if all the characters shown right now aren't unlocked from release, we already know who they are.

You know, looking at that video again, Lucina not only looks like a genderbent Marth (nothard) but every one of those animations are his. Even her idle animation is Marth's. 

Feels lazy, complete waste of a character slot. They should have just made her a Marth costume swap like the female robin....

Edited by Serephim

You know, looking at that video again, Lucina not only looks like a genderbent Marth (nothard) but every one of those animations are his. Even her idle animation is Marth's. 

Feels lazy, complete waste of a character slot. They should have just made her a Marth costume swap like the female robin....

well maybe she has some moves that marth doesn't have, but funny thing is on another forum, i said

"i bet the new character will somehow be a clone"

i totally called it :P

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry if this was a belated response...

Anyways, here is a question. If Roy (Being a Marth Clone, too) was ever going to return and kept his moveset from Melee, would you say the same thing? If not, that statement you said there is contradicting, since there is enough difference for Lucina to become a standalone character.

If you say that Roy is a different enough character due to the Sweet Spot being at the middle of the Sword of Seals' blade, then you should say the same thing with Lucina's Sweet Spot being spread out all over Parallel Falchion. Just food for thought.

Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan

Anyways, here is a question. If Roy (Being a Marth Clone, too) was ever going to return and kept his moveset from Melee, would you say the same thing? 

Yep. Because this is a completely different game, he was already a clone in one, there's no excuse for it. Not to mention, i've been playing Project M, and Roy is more distanced from Marth there than Lucina is in this new game.

If you say that Roy is a different enough character due to the Sweet Spot being at the middle of the Sword of Seals' blade, then you should say the same thing with Lucina's Sweet Spot being spread out all over Parallel Falchion. Just food for thought.

Well, I didn't say that. It's not like Falco and Fox, or Ness and Lucas, or Ike and Marth, where they have similar specials but different normals. If Roy was announced, i'd expect him to be as distanced from Marth as Ike is. At this point in Smash Bros' lifetime, I don't understand clones of this nature. I don't mind using them, but at the very least, give them new animations so they feel different. 

If you must know, I also thought Gannon and Toon Link were handled very shitty like in original Brawl too. Luckly PM added alot of things i figured should have been braindead for Toon Link (No hurricane slash nintendo?) but whatever. 

Namco is there. if TTT2 is any indication, they got this whole "cloning" business down pretty damn well, but Lucina still seems lazy. I'd rather that Chrom guy, he would have been cool. 

Well, I didn't say that. It's not like Falco and Fox, or Ness and Lucas, or Ike and Marth, where they have similar specials but different normals. If Roy was announced, i'd expect him to be as distanced from Marth as Ike is. At this point in Smash Bros' lifetime, I don't understand clones of this nature. I don't mind using them, but at the very least, give them new animations so they feel different. 

If you must know, I also thought Gannon and Toon Link were handled very shitty like in original Brawl too. Luckly PM added alot of things i figured should have been braindead for Toon Link (No hurricane slash nintendo?) but whatever. 

Namco is there. if TTT2 is any indication, they got this whole "cloning" business down pretty damn well, but Lucina still seems lazy. I'd rather that Chrom guy, he would have been cool. 

In that case, I agree with you. In FE: Awakening, Great Lords (Being Chrom and Lucina) have an option of using lances in conjunction with Swords. It would have been neat to incorporate lances into some of tthe attacks with Lucina, but I like Lucina as she is. When I get the game in October (Which is NOT Summer, Nintendo! I'm still mad about that!), I'll test to see if there is ANY difference from Marth and Lucina aside from the obvious Sweet Spots.

Thanks for clarifying, dude!

idk about you guys but roy is awesome so he gets all priority

I used Roy quite a bit more than Marth (Mainly because I thought that Roy looked much more badass than Marth) in Melee. Although I can understand why people would choose Marth more than Roy.