A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sega on the Rebound.

TRD

Did the game NEED redeeming? It's come out, like, 15000 times.

After that sonic 1 fake for GBA, they need alot of it. I pretty sure alot of people were disappointed as much as we were. They seriously @#$%ed up a classic.

But no, I guess not, I just picked the word "Redeem" because I couldn't think of anything better.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"and yes, I'd even qualify Sonic Rush as lackluster." What exactly is wrong with Sonic Rush? Granted it's not like the Genesis games in many ways, but then again- neither is Mario. For a 2D Sonic game, I can't really find anything wrong with it outside of the fact that the level design is very little like that of the old games.

Well, firstly it lacks the replay value of the Genesis titles by and large. More extremely however, it lacks the production values of the Genesis titles.

They need to pump a GTA IV level budget into a Sonic game. I'd think that Sonic would be a high profile enough character to warrant a high profile budget... but meh, SEGA doesn't seem to think so.

I actually thought sonic rush was a great game, The 3-D characters and objects mixed with 2-D backgrounds and etc. And the 3-D sonic 2 special stage, I figured it was worth buying or playing.

EDIT: Unless there was more that could of been added to it.

"They need to pump a GTA IV level budget into a Sonic game. I'd think that Sonic would be a high profile enough character to warrant a high profile budget... but meh, SEGA doesn't seem to think so."

That'd be great, 'cept having a huge budget doesn't mean the level design will be any better or that the final game will have any replay value. Super Mario 64 has like.. very little replay value, and it's still a great game. I'm not sure what it's budget looked like either, but something tells me that it wasn't the equivalent of GTA4 in it's time.

After that sonic 1 fake for GBA, they need alot of it. I pretty sure alot of people were disappointed as much as we were. They seriously @#$%ed up a classic.

But no, I guess not, I just picked the word "Redeem" because I couldn't think of anything better.

Oh. I didn't know that after playing the same game several times over the past few years on several different consoles, an obscure remake for a dieing handheld suddenly convinced the whole world that the game was ____.

Thank god we got yet ANOTHER retro collection for a handheld that is known for it's SUPREME library.

[/sarcasm]

Oh. I didn't know that after playing the same game several times over the past few years on several different consoles, an obscure remake for a dieing handheld suddenly convinced the whole world that the game was ____.

Well don't get me wrong, I'm sure people think of it that way, I guess I said that because Sonic 1 was the first game I remember playing.

But on some occasions I do agree, remakes can be @#$% after playing them over and over again.

I pretty much got sick of the old pacman's and atari games.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

LEECHER! BURN HIM AT STAKE!!! *shot*

Uh oh.....Did I say the forbidden word?

"They need to pump a GTA IV level budget into a Sonic game. I'd think that Sonic would be a high profile enough character to warrant a high profile budget... but meh, SEGA doesn't seem to think so."

That'd be great, 'cept having a huge budget doesn't mean the level design will be any better or that the final game will have any replay value. Super Mario 64 has like.. very little replay value, and it's still a great game. I'm not sure what it's budget looked like either, but something tells me that it wasn't the equivalent of GTA4 in it's time.

First...

What the bloody hell are you talking about!? Super Mario 64 has ass loads of replay value. It drags players in for the initial long ass game and then brings them back for 120 stars, and I don't know abou you, but it brought me back again a second time through for the 120 stars again and I just recently bought it on Wii virtual console. If SM64 doesn't have replay value, I must be insane.

And Second, I highly beg to differ on budget not having an effect on level design. The natural order of things shows that you can afford to hire higher profile designers and more accomplished developers if you are willing to pay more money.

And the budget for Super Mario 64 was astronomical compared to games of the time.

EDIT:

Oh, and I should also add that the Genesis titles had astronomical budgets compared to other projects at the time as well.

All Sammy did was up their commercial value at the Arcades. I swear, the first person who blames SAMMY for this is going to get shot... T_T

And decided to muddle all the AMs group into one! only teams not affected were Sega-AM2 and Sonic Team but this also caused Tetsuya Mizuguchi

(one of his reasons of departure was that he felt the merger was a obstacle for him) to leave...and wouldn't uping the commercial value at the arcades and not home console software have effects on games like Sonic? I remember them stating they'd spend more money on arcades then on home console software development.

EDIT: And no, I do not blame Sammy, I however do blame which ever idoit thought that releasing Sonic Next or Genesis (actually, whoever thought this was acceptable...well...) in their current condition was a good idea.

If there was one sonic collection remake to be excited about in my opinion, it would be the sonic gems collection, I played sonic games that I didn't know existed, the only thing that sucked about it was that fact that they put game gear games as bonuses when they should of put Knuckles Chaotix in there instead, because the game gear games were already on Sonic Adventure DX and the Sonic mega collection Plus.

DW: You win, as you obviously know what you're talking about whereas I do not. As far as SM64 bringing you back to collect stars.. that basically amounts to Sonic Adventure's emblems. Were there even any unlockables for gaining all those stars?

Well erm...no

BUT YOU GOT TO SEE YOSHI IN 3D!!!11!!

But he only gave you a congratulation mission, 99 lives and then decided to fly away into nothingness...yeah it was pretty lame but at least I had fun.

EDIT: Wait what?!? a triple jump? *goes to play Mario 64 again*

EDIT: Oh no, it was the quad jump, gives you flashy stars behind you .__.

DW:Were there even any unlockables for gaining all those stars?

Yes, in the 64 version, you get to meet yoshi, earn 100 1-ups, and get a cool new triple jump.

In the DS version, you unlock minigames and the same.

EDIT: Damn, Aki-at beat me to it. XD

EDIT AGAIN: Wait, In the DS version, the keys you get from those rabbits unlock the minigames.

"you get to meet yoshi, earn 100 1-ups, and get a cool new triple jump."

Well see.. then it really isn't much different from the emblems. Two of those would've done way more as you're actually completing the game. Those pretty much suck after having collected a bunch of random things.

As far as budget goes though, while it may influence level designs and the like it's not always going to work out that way. Shenmue costs hell to develop and is, supposedly, an excellent game. And yet there probably won't be a 3rd one do to the limited fanbase. Granted, with a game like Sonic the Hedgehog that's not problem.

Actually, I wasn't implying it wouldn't. That's always been the main reason for SEGA's backwash on consoles, but SEGA asked for it when it decided to do business with SAMMY of all companies. That doesn't mean they can't pipe some of that arcade money into console dev, does it?

Actually, if I remember correctly SEGA did actual give quite a bit of budget when it came to their home console games before (Shenmue anyone?) But they didn't really have a choice not to agree a deal with Sammy, if they didn't, they'd pretty much go bankrupt. Although they still pump at alot of quality games, just want to see a excellent (not just average or good) Sonic game again.

Are you kidding me? If I remember correctly, Mario could already do the triple jump right off the bat. What M64 have we been playing, now?

LOL! Yes that's true, but when you go see yoshi, after he flies off, do the triple jump, mario will do a continuous tuck-in somersault, sparkles will fly out of mario, and he's invincible when he does it, you can do it off of high places and won't get hurt, and as far as I know, it was the Mario 64 from nintendo 64, I think they do it on the DS version too.

Strange, I thought people knew that.

Basically, the moral of all of this is, why spend $250 on a PSP when you can spend $250 on a Wii?

I'm definately getting the Wii, I'll just have a portable system too, people probably bought the PSP because of it's features, the movies, Mp3, pictures, (well you can download them to your PSP.) I personally bought the PSP because of the fact that it had nice quality 3-D games on it and it's portable, and I needed a Mp3 player, even though they're like under $50 or so.

So many quality 3D games, in fact, that you're saying a 15-yr old game is a must-have for any owner of said system.

"Actually, if I remember correctly SEGA did actual give quite a bit of budget when it came to their home console games before (Shenmue anyone?)"

;-; Shenmue 3.. where are you?