A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic comes out tommorow

shadowgoten

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SG: If you have a digital camera, do you mind taking a screen of the CD for me? Thanks. :D

::Needs an X360::

Edit: I'm pissed. I checked the official site and it says multiplayer mode- two players can play as Sonic, Silver, or Shadow.. I was kinda hoping Tails and Knuckles would be available as well. Granted, maybe they're unlockable but whatever. xD

SG: If you have a digital camera, do you mind taking a screen of the CD for me? Thanks. :D

::Needs an X360::

Sure can bud, this picture was taken on a sidekick 2 so don't mind the poor quality

Photo384.jpg

EDIT: also, the way the instruction book words it, the 2 player co-op mode has it's own storyline, with the levels requiring both players to work together to complete.

I played it. It's not that bad, but it hasn't truly impressed me yet.

Some things to note (after only playing some of Sonic's story), and I'll spoilertag this. No story spoilers, though...well actually, just info on a boss fight, but it should be fairly obvious.

PROS

- Graphics are beautiful.

- The sensation of speed is AWESOME in mach speed areas. Sonic's still a little slow in the regular places, but it's not bad.

- I enjoy the music quite a bit right now. Instrumental His World for menus rocks. Oh yeah, level BGMs aren't bad either.

CONS

- Loading times. Annoying. PREVALENT. (Town Missions, annoyingly so)

- One boss is INCREDIBLY CHEAP. If you don't know how to beat him, he will kick your ass...he throws you around before you can even get rings if you're too close to him. I'm talking about a certain psychic hedgehog, btw. Ugh. Also, the first boss before that took 2 hits to defeat. Wow. I'm disappointed in the bosses.

- Loading times suck.

- It takes a while to navigate the town areas.

Overall, I like the game, but I have yet to be truly impressed with it. I'll play a little more and keep you updated.

-

HDD. I have yet to see Online, but I think it's only downloadable content...

Also, up to Crisis City with Sonic now. Awesome stage in 3 parts: boarding, regular stage, mach speed. I'm enjoying the game a lot more now :D

I heard from the IGN forums (yes bad place to go anyway I know) that trying to control the board is actually pretty tough, so how would you rate the controls so far on this game?

And are the bosses fun, or just cheap and easy? XD

HDD. I have yet to see Online, but I think it's only downloadable content...
Fail @ cacheing :/ And downloadable content ftl because it implies microtransactions for crappy items. I was expecting something like SA2's 2p races, but with online matchmaking, oh well.

How's the camera? Do you have troubles getting it to catch up with the action? If you had the equipment, I'd love to see a gameplay video of the first stage played by a normal person instead of promotional videos or game 'journalists'.

Sorry, the only camera I've got access to is my phone - which, conveniently, cannot link up to the computer.

The camera is okay, not THAT bad...there's a camera reset button which is pretty useful - instantaneous, too. As for the controls, it's pretty good - boards are pretty hard to control, though. More later as I head on to dinner.

Now at Tropical Jungle.

EDIT: Some important things I forgot to address.

- Loading times suck (Town Missions especially). Oh wait...

- There is no opening movie. (As in, before the title screen)

- Sonic can NOT jump after a spindash, or during any parts of it. Yeah, that's right...

- Emblems are back...in spirit. You receive Soleanna Gold Medals for completing stages (as well as their various missions - Sonic has "Hard Mode"), and there are many Silver Medals spread out through the game in both Town and Action Stages. Of course, this unlocks stuff.

IGN fan reviews are saying this game is just as crap as the rest of the stuff SEGA puts out onto Sonic these days.

Yet I hear people who hated all the games after Adventure 2 actually like this game and is just as good as the Adventure series if not better.

Can you sense that I am confused?

Eh, this game is good. But there's a lot of level gimmicks that I really think don't contribute much to the game flow.

For example, Sonic's last level is FRICKIN' ANNOYING! Not only are there stupid gimmicky parts, but there are mandatory areas where you have to play as Tails or Knuckles, which = suck. Knuckles, not so much.

Also, Sonic's last boss reminds me a LOT of Egg Viper. Even the platforms are getting destroyed. Haven't beat it yet...

I was hoping to beat this story before 10, but...<_<

EDIT: More things to note. You can view or not.

- In the Options menu, there are only two choices: Volume and Subtitles. No voiceover changing, sorry! (And I dunno if any of you would change your language setting to Japanese, anyway.)

- Tails is annoying.

- Kingdom Valley is LONG. Took me nearly 20 minutes to beat. Heads up, guys. Nothing like the demo.

- You can buy upgrades at the shop...however, everything for Sonic other than the mandatory 3 are Gems, and they change how Sonic's shoes look. There's this one upgrade that lets you slow down time around Sonic (Sonic is at normal speed), and I must say, it is DAMN sweet! (No cursing in this game.)

- The story is...I dunno, deeper than other Sonic games. Which doesn't say a lot.

- Silver's gameplay is pretty unique. Only played him for a little, but he was okay. Haven't tried Shadow yet.

Blyde...you beat it already? Jeez, put down the game and do something else XD. I'm only just met Silver...in any case, so far I like just about everything the game has to offer. The one thing that's killing me is loading times. Sometimes it'll go load for 15 seconds to display three text prompts that some random person has in a mission for you, then go back to another 15 seconds of loading, it doesn't make sense. That's my major gripe...graphics are pretty nice and the engine is improved. Still needs work, but improved.

Loading times = suckage.

God, I just beat Sonic's last boss. It was epic, man, it was epic. So bladibladiblad - lemme tell you what I found in the credits. Relates to songs and songs ONLY. If you wanna be surprised, don't read.

His World - Zebrahead (The full version is not radically different. However, there's a sweet instrumental part to it - otherwise, just more rapping :|)

SWEET SWEET SWEET - Akon, Dreams Come True (English vocal version. Blah. 8 min credits.)

All Hail Shadow - Crush 40 (!!!!!!! I seriously want to hear this.)

Dreams of an Absolution - someone Brotherton (Probably Silver's theme; don't know if I got the artist right)

My Destiny... - (Didn't write this artist down. This is probably Elise's theme.)

1up gives this game a 5.5 stating its worser then Heroes and Shadow (which is just not possible)

And then Play magazine goes to say...

"Sonic the Hedgehog literally has everything: platforming - some of it amid situations you simply will not believe - high speed chases, close quarters combat, multiple vehicles, flying, speed zones, character customization, real lite cinemas (skillfully acted - this is Sega's best localization to date), beautiful CG, telekinesis, RPG elements, open-world exploration, rail-grinding, rampant diversity, epic bosses, a fantastic soundtrack, a beautiful princess to save - you actually spend a level carrying her - and next-gen visuals that make you happy to be alive. You simply can't ask for more out of an action game. Mission accomplished. Sonic is born anew"

And give it a 9.5...I'm so confused ;__;

I'm guessing this is a love it or hate it type of game eh?

1up reviews have been pretty meh for months. A 5.0 for Killzone Liberation? Bully gets a 10? What the hell. On top of that, they've redefined the scale to match all of Ziff Davis' publications (see EGM - where getting 7/8s is a great score and not just "decent").

Now if IGN's or Gamespot's scores are near that 5 too, then I'd start worrying.