A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Lik-Sang is no more.

Blues

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901&lsaid=466211

OR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - OUT OF BUSINESS NOTICE

Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.

My condolences for importers, stupid move for Sony, and a big LOL @ Lik-sang if they really were infringing the law with knowledge of the matter. Regardless of that, they just gave away the names of some consumers, which goes against the consumer privacy and data protection policies -not a smart move if you ask me.

This isn't the first time lik-sang is on legal trouble, anyways. They lost previously to Nintendo and Microsoft. Sony copied again zomg.

That being said, I expect Sang-lik to be up and running on a few days (:P). They also went out of business with the Microsoft case and came back, IIRC. So this doesn't have to be necessarily definitive.

...will this affect my order which was shipped on the 13th October?

I will not be pleased if it's canceled.

Check your mail, to see if you got any of these:

Order cancelled due to out of business

[...]Therefore, as soon as humanly possible, we will cancel all existing orders,

including yours, and issue refunds where necessary.

Please note that it may take anywhere from a few days up to a week or two

for refunds to be processed by PayPal, your bank or your credit card

company, so please don't worry if you don't see it immediately on your

balance statement. You can rest assured that Lik-Sang is monitoring the

situation closely with all involved parties. No single customer will be

caught in the crossfire of this ordeal.[...]

Team Lik-Sang

If you didn't, then I guess it's safe.

Btw, it's worth pointing out that the only people who decided to close Lik Sang were Lik Sang themselves. Sony did not shut them down, or bankrupt them, or anything of that nature.

They have not paid any money in damages.

They had no legal fees - they didn't send a lawyer to the hearing.

Their net cost has been $0.

"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe’s ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don’t see fit. It’s the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.

"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."

What a bunch of ____-heads. The company pretty much operates teetering on the line of legallity and has been successfully sued multiple times. Then Sony comes along saying they can't mass sell their Asian-intended products to European customers (I'm not that familiar with the laws regarding imported electronice, but I'm pretty sure at the very least, they're not really supposed to be doing it) and they pretty much just roll over and play dead and with their 'dying cry' yell "kill Sony."

One minute they're a "company too small to fight multiple lawsuits in different countries at the same time and pay high premiums to expensive lawyers" the next they're the company that "the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on for their gaming needs" with an implication that that has any bearing whatsoever on the legallity of their actions. I don't know much about this company or what they're actually going through, but they certainly sound full of ____.

Edit: This has nothing to do with my views on Sony's cracking down on the selling of imports through companies like Lik-Sang. It seems like maybe it's bad for business, but I don't know much on the matter. This completely has to do with Lik-Sang's reaction and public statements.

Dear valued customer,

Your Login/Email is: ______________

Your password is: ____________

As of today, Lik-Sang.com will not be in the position to accept any new orders and will cancel and refund all existing orders that have already been placed. Furthermore, Lik-Sang is working closely with banks and PayPal to refund any store credits held by the company, and the customer support department is taking care of any open transactions such as pending RMAs or repairs and shipping related matters. The staff of Lik-Sang will make sure that nobody will get hurt in the crossfire of this ordeal. To read the full article please visit: http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901

Our records indicates you can retrieve an additional $ 9,99 USD refund in your PayPal account. In order to successfully retrieve the refund please confirm your existing PayPal account on this page. Please notice that the confirmation of your PayPal account is needed to have this refund send into your PayPal account.

If your PayPal account is no longer active on this (______________) address you will have to create a free PayPal account at: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_registration-run to retrieve this refund. Once your account is created and activated please confirm your account information at the above page.

We feel very sorry for any inconvenience and trying to make all refunds to take place as soon as possible.

Team Lik-Sang

Got this email today. As far as I know, I don't think I need a refund for anything, and this is just trying to steal my paypal account. Plus, clicking on the "on this page" link heads to www.ljk-sang.com which is dodgy to say the least.

Honestly, I don't believe what they are doing is wrong. All they're doing is selling consoles, games and acessories intended for people in Asia to people who don't live in Asia. As far as I know that is not illegal. It's the equivalent of me going "Hey guys, I'll be going to Hong Kong for a few months. As you know, the PS3 consoles over there are like 80 bucks cheaper than they are stateside. If you give me the money, I'll bring you back a console." There's nothing wrong with that. People do it all the time. And I don't honestly see where the problem is. It's not as if the consoles aren't being payed for (they are by the dealer- Lik Sang).

They purchase inventory, and then they sell that inventory. I don't call that illegal I call that "business" Wal-Mart does it and I don't see them being sued. This is the damned internet. The entire point of having an online business is so that you can reach more people- it just so happens that those people don't live in Asia. Like I said, I don't see the problem. They're conducting business, so what? As long as all that crap gets paid for and it's not "hot" nothing has truly been done wrong. An stateside console and an Asian console are basically the same: they're designed to run software. It's not Lik-Sang's fault that gaming companies decide to charge everyone a different price.

Here's another example: let's say I live in Canada a short distance from Niagra Falls. Books and crap normally cost like.. 3 dollars or so extra, yes? I'm going to guess that everything there costs extra, then. Let's say I visit New York every once in awhile to visit relatives and friends and the like. So while I'm in NY I buy a crapload of games, comics, and all that other stuff so that I can save those ~3 dollars on every item. Did I just break the law?

Now as far as say.. selling parts to mod consoles and random other stuff Lik-Sang may be doing.. that's an entirely different story. But the gist I got from this was simply "made for Asia, stays in Asia >E."

Honestly, I don't believe what they are doing is wrong. All they're doing is selling consoles, games and acessories intended for people in Asia to people who don't live in Asia. As far as I know that is not illegal.

I think it has to do with licensing really. Buying consoles for yourself and bring them back stateside is one thing, but enabling foreigners to buy a cheaper or different console is both against licensing agreements (or in the case of cheaper, a direct competition to their US market.)

AKA bureaucratic bull____.

And, on a side-note, I'm digging Firefox 2. It actually runs quite well on my machine. Even better than the G5-optimized Firefox 1.5!

getmeoutofhere.png

"Buying consoles for yourself and bring them back stateside is one thing, but enabling foreigners to buy a cheaper or different console is both against licensing agreements (or in the case of cheaper, a direct competition to their US market.)"

But they're the same thing at heart. You just obtained a cheaper console. Gah people are so stupid.