A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A teaser for my project.

Nemox

Indeed; Spindashing is actually going to be the first action I create, once I can figure out how I want the action system to work.  Adventure and Unleashed are my main inspiration, but the variables could be tweaked enough to even mimic a Genesis feel.

I think that instead of having a button immediately executing the spindash state, you should combine it with another action to make it feel more solid.

1) Add a Crouch action that's separate from the "Roll" button. (Similar to Unleashed's crouch button that executes a slide.) But instead of making sonic slide when moving, instead turn it into a controlled skid or breaking action. So if you're moving while crouching, sonic skids to a stop in whichever direction you're moving in. (Think Drift from unleashed, except it slows you down while giving you better directional control instead of keeping your speed and quickly changing direction.)

2) After he's mostly stopped, tapping jump should rev the spindash, and letting go of crouch button should send him off. It should use tank-aiming for aiming. You can even let it keep your forward momentum while revving if you decided to spindash before stopping.

3*) Instead of making "roll" a seperate button, you can just make it trigger upon tapping crouch twice while running, or quickly tapping it once.

Depending on how slow you have to be moving to use the spindash, you can choose to mimic either Sonic Adventure 1 or 2's spindash (complete stop or continuous use). 

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

Bit of an update.  As much as I'm actually driven and engaged to get this project rolling around at the speed of sound, I have to focus on some other things for a while.  Gotta be responsible use the rest of the summer to build a small app so I can start earning a proper income, and take care of some important things I've neglected.

If things turn out well though I should have a fair amount of time to work on this project.

• 2 weeks later...

I've kind of been "around" for some time, but my ADHD made it difficult for me to ever dedicate myself enough to finishing anything.  Now that I actually know what it is I'm gonna be getting some help with it.

But hey, this system will eventually (hopefully) be sort of the same vain as Sonic GDK; a game development kit for people to use.  If it makes it to that point, you'd be more than welcome to use it.

Well, I know how frustrating it is to never finish anything, I myself have this problem, but even if it doesn't make to that point, make sure to release it, as people will love it (they're already loving it), Would be a great help to kickstart their projects.

Edited by Gistix

Will you include player models other than Sonic? Sonic-only was what frustrated me about Sonic GDK, as creating player models for that is as hard as Battletoads. Maybe, rather than creating an interpreter, I'll end up converting BlitzSonic content the hard way.

Will you include player models other than Sonic? Sonic-only was what frustrated me about Sonic GDK, as creating player models for that is as hard as Battletoads. Maybe, rather than creating an interpreter, I'll end up converting BlitzSonic content the hard way.

Yeah, easy-peasy.  Not only that but I plan to create a really flexible action system like something you'd see out of an MMO, but mapped in a way that actually plays well.  That way abilities aren't hard-coded into the character itself, and will also be usable on other characters as one sees fit.

• Like 1

Yeah, easy-peasy. Not only that but I plan to create a really flexible action system like something you'd see out of an MMO, but mapped in a way that actually plays well. That way abilities aren't hard-coded into the character itself, and will also be usable on other characters as one sees fit.

It's nice to have interchangeable abilities. Will abilities be able to be modified within the game, or does it have to be in the editor? And also, will it support teams like Heroes? Maybe you can create groups of four or more, like in Boom? Will you throw in a manual about how to create new characters, stages, power-ups, etc?

I've also put Sonic World Ver# Unity on hold until your engine is released, and the game will use your engine instead of Neoshaman's outdated one.

It's nice to have interchangeable abilities. Will abilities be able to be modified within the game, or does it have to be in the editor? And also, will it support teams like Heroes? Maybe you can create groups of four or more, like in Boom? Will you throw in a manual about how to create new characters, stages, power-ups, etc?

I've also put Sonic World Ver# Unity on hold until your engine is released, and the game will use your engine instead of Neoshaman's outdated one.

As it's more of an action-adventure RPG toolkit I'm creating, I definitely want a party system of some kind.  The effects of different abilities will have to be done through scripting, but the button mapping should be manageable within the game.  I'd really like to learn how to implement some sort of macro system so players could put as much personal preference into ability mapping as they want.

In my mind, the default macro for the jump button would be something like, [mod:bubbleshield] bounce; [mod:jumping] doublejump/fly/glide; [mod:crouching] spindash; jump.

But if somebody wanted the homing attack on the jump button instead of the double jump, they'd be able to write their own macro with the homing attack instead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the love of god get rid of mouse control.

Heh, I guess the camera does need a lot of work.  I've only been focusing on character physics, but some proper camera controls would help with testing that too.  I suppose that'll be my next goal, then.  After that it'll be water and crouching physics.

Heh, I guess the camera does need a lot of work.  I've only been focusing on character physics, but some proper camera controls would help with testing that too.  I suppose that'll be my next goal, then.  After that it'll be water and crouching physics.

You can take notes from Generations for cameras and splines. I might be able to help you if ya need references as to how things are done. (I've wrote the Retro guide for Generations splines)

In the worst case, I hope you put the camera at least always behind Sonic, kind of locked. 

Really love your engine and if it's easy to use, I could make a fangame!

• Like 1

You can take notes from Generations for cameras and splines. I might be able to help you if ya need references as to how things are done. (I've wrote the Retro guide for Generations splines)

In the worst case, I hope you put the camera at least always behind Sonic, kind of locked. 

Really love your engine and if it's easy to use, I could make a fangame!

Ooh, that'd be awesome, thanks!  I have wanted to do something like Unleashed with a fair amount of camera control, but I also wanted some compatibility with Generations and Unleashed splines and such, so this would be great.  I am going for a more free-roaming type of gameplay in general for any levels I make, but I have to keep other styles in mind as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the video you made on physics, and I have to say I'm impressed. May I help contribute to the project? I have ripped and converted a few BlitzSonic levels (actually, only one, as the rest of the ones I will send already had the raw file included) and I am willing to submit them to Project Nexus.

EDIT: I'm also making an EXP system and Job System right now.

Edited by Miru
  • Like 1

Thanks for the offer, Miru!  Pulse0 is kinda right about BlitzSonic levels... but eventually people will be able to make their own levels for Project Nexus, so I won't even need the levels.  Actually I hope to create a whole bunch of pre-constructed set pieces.  Pipes, ramps, grind rails and such.  Maybe piggy-backing off of an editor extension.

Pretty much all that's in the way of me getting a tech demo out is the camera system, some basic RPG functionality, and the water physics.  I'll start analyzing some other camera systems when I get time, but what I am particularly interested in is how fluid drag works in Unleashed and/or Generations, as well as the precise logic behind the force slowing Sonic down while water-running.  If you'd like to poke around and find out how drag and water-running work, that could help me complete the basic physics faster.

For the RPG functionality, I'm basically trying to think up a good way to handle actions.  As I've mentioned, I want them to work in a system similar to what you might see in an MMO like WoW or something.  That way creating larger, more complex button mapping will be easier, and adding new characters will be much easier.  My current idea is to make actions ScriptableObjects Since they don't get any Updates, I might have them all just work on some kind of "Tick" event system built into the character.  Then if they need any additional functionality in-world, they can simply spawn some GameObjects or something.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer, Miru!  Pulse0 is kinda right about BlitzSonic levels... but eventually people will be able to make their own levels for Project Nexus, so I won't even need the levels.  Actually I hope to create a whole bunch of pre-constructed set pieces.  Pipes, ramps, grind rails and such.  Maybe piggy-backing off of an editor extension.

Pretty much all that's in the way of me getting a tech demo out is the camera system, some basic RPG functionality, and the water physics.  I'll start analyzing some other camera systems when I get time, but what I am particularly interested in is how fluid drag works in Unleashed and/or Generations, as well as the precise logic behind the force slowing Sonic down while water-running.  If you'd like to poke around and find out how drag and water-running work, that could help me complete the basic physics faster.

For the RPG functionality, I'm basically trying to think up a good way to handle actions.  As I've mentioned, I want them to work in a system similar to what you might see in an MMO like WoW or something.  That way creating larger, more complex button mapping will be easier, and adding new characters will be much easier.  My current idea is to make actions ScriptableObjects Since they don't get any Updates, I might have them all just work on some kind of "Tick" event system built into the character.  Then if they need any additional functionality in-world, they can simply spawn some GameObjects or something.

Good to know! 

Also, I've just uploaded the Seaside Hill prefab;

http://www.4shared.com/zip/xqOJvK05ba/Seaside_Hill__OzCrash_.html?

• 2 weeks later...

So, when's the next update for this game coming?

Not sure.  I've been really busy with school and some other junk.  Things are easing up though, and as soon as I get this one project finished with, I should have more time to work on it.