A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Project AXSX, A Sonic Xtreme re-creation project

Andrew75

Something you should know about water. It is not blue. It is clear.

While this is true in reality, it is really only applicable to bodies of water of certain depths and the angle they are perceived. Even the clearest waters in the world are tinted blue when viewed from the correct angle. 

Also from a game design stand point, its better to have blue tinted water because its made obvious to the player that they are in water and that it is in fact water.

Something you should know about water. It is not blue. It is clear.

I'll reply to your post with a quote from the water post.

The water tints everything too much to be able to see the nice texture details that were added.) (Tinting needs some tweaks!)

so yeah

What i mean is that the water tinting is not finished, These screens are to show the new sprite animations for AXSX. Keep in mind Sonic 1 has green and purple water tinting, I dont see a problem with using blue water.  ( also what if the water was cloudy because it's turbulent and has sediment drifting threw it from the bottom, u know like if u go to the beach, water is never 100% clear like pool water.)

Edited by Andrew75

While this is true in reality, it is really only applicable to bodies of water of certain depths and the angle they are perceived. Even the clearest waters in the world are tinted blue when viewed from the correct angle. 

Also from a game design stand point, its better to have blue tinted water because its made obvious to the player that they are in water and that it is in fact water.

Plus, in cartoonier games I don't think blue-tinted water is a bad thing at all. After all, just about every classic Sonic game (and even all of the Sonic games I can think of) have water like that.

Opening the picture shows in true resolution if anyone wants to study it up close .  For this specific water surface I was taking a cue from Collision Chaos Zone.( The water even scrolls similar left and right) May add transparency depending on water viewing angle vs camera position.

Edited by Andrew75

That looks awesome I love the sharp contrast in the background elements and the water. How will the blocks of water work? Do you sink in them? 

Water blocks ?! oh my! do you mean the greenish blocks ?

They were supposed to be a sort of blue sea rock of some kind that's going to be canned in the final game, Since i didn't care for how it turned out.

I tossed it in UDK to test my new shader that works with fisheye so we can now stretch a large texture across multiple blocks.

Lets say....  If a block is moved, the texture updates in realtime so that it stays aligned with the rest of the blocks, (a sort of automatic Texture UV mapping effect.)

This way if we want a tiled texture than we wont have to cut up a larger 128 x 128 texture and apply the resulting 32 x 32 tiles to each block 1 by 1,  and or every time a block is moved or cloned than the textures are always aligned.  This literately saves days when producing level layouts.

if you look below you can see that each block tiles nicely with its 128 x 128 texture across multiple blocks.

I marked where the textures would need to be divided if we used the smaller 32 x 32 textures to make up the larger one.

GGJSXtX.png

EDIT: there are under water sections going on under the mirror like water, complete with water physics.

Edited by Andrew75

AXSX Water 1440P ( With Youtube's Crap 30 FPS)
Youtube's Missing frames of animation really makes the water scrolling effect nearly vanish, so I had to slow it down when recording this video, the shimmering pixel effect still looks very broken here)

The AXSX Video Scene has been dry for awhile now , so I thought you guys may like to check out some of our water development progress! I feel its a good start but still needs some work. In the future we can all look back and compare this to the final version of water.

• Like 1