A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The next sonic game

What I want? Another game with Sonic Unleashed's level of soul, with the right squeaky polish of Generations' level designs.

What I think we'll get? A game with a slightly more serious attempt at a story but having that one aspect of the game that isn't quite up to snuff and brings everything else down as a result.

At this point I hope for a longer game and different gameplay. I don't expect them to get rid of the Unleashed style just yet. They'll probably tweak it a little more. I'm not even sure if I do want new gameplay yet. Sonic games are finally getting good reviews thanks to Colours and Generations and the reason why they were bad in the first place is because of so many different gameplay styles in every game.

Just because Sega have mastered the Unleashed style gameplay, can we really trust them to keep the success going to try out yet another gameplay style?

• Like 1

I'd like for support characters to gain more prominent roles. I want their roles to be better defined - and utilised, and for alt gameplay styles to feel as if they belong in the game, rather than being shoehorned or just plain crap. Great thought needs to go into whether or not each character and style meshes with the rest, and warrants existing in the first place. However, this applies more to the series as a whole rather than simply the next Sonic game. Regardless, I do want to see the franchise as a whole evolve beyond a 'Just Sonic' mentality, without over-doing the cast herd.

In terms of simply the next game, so long as it doesn't have a paper-thin plot, is satisfying to play and lasts longer than three or four hours, I'll be satisfied.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going along with what others have already said, I want to see something bigger, more original, and more challenging, more akin to Unleashed. A story with more meat to it and and big hub worlds to explore would be great, as well. Despite their critical reception, it seems like the recent games have just been smaller projects done on a tighter budget by the American studio (kind of like the Storybook games, but with less emphasis on the story). I wasn't able to appreciate them as much as most people, because it just felt like so much was "missing".

As far as other things I would like to see, a new Riders game (minus the unnecessary Kinect peripherals) would definitely grab my attention. I don't hate the All-Stars games, but they aren't really Sonic games, they're SEGA games, and they seem more modeled after Mario Kart. With Transformed, I feel like they focused specifically on the same audience they were aiming for with Colors and Generations, and that kind of pushed me away from being interested in it.

Another digital/mobile game with Sonic 4's graphical prowess but designed more like the recent handheld games (Colors DS, Generations 3DS, etc.) would also be really fun to see, especially with all of these Android-based game systems on the horizon. Now that we have physical controls and more powerful chips, I would like to see them push it even further.

• Like 1

Shadow (not his emo crap), Sonic, Knuckles, ect. NO silver and a good game with either little to no free roam unless its a sandbox style Sonic game, which won't ever be the case.  So honestly, just Sonic Adventure 3 with some old and new character just no Silver.

I can't help but shudder whenever someone mentions Sonic Adventure 3.

I think people like me are just wanting a game like Sonic Adventure / Adventure 2.  I don't know about everyone else but those were my favorite 3D sonic games (not including Unleashed). I just want a new generation type of Adventure Sonic game, if you catch my drift.

I think part of the problem with recent titles is that, while they use the Unleashed gameplay (or, a less challenging/more streamlined 'kid-friendly' interpretation of it), a lot of the main people who worked on Unleashed have disappeared. Nishiyama's last game was Black Knight, Hirabayashi hasn't been seen since Colors DS, Nagahara has had his hands full with Sonic 4, and I don't think Hashimoto will ever come back now that he's at Square. A lot of the newer guys such as Kishimoto and Miyamoto (not that Miyamoto) have no experience with directing Sonic games.

The next game will clearly be a spin-off of Sonic Generations starring Classic Sonic... because we haven't quite drowned in nostalgia yet.

I hope that doesn't happen... They have been playing on nostalgia way too much lately. At the expense of ticking off the 5% of the fanabase who hate everything past SA1, I wish they would make a deliberate attempt not to get the "old Sonic feel" for once. What is the point of buying new games if they are exactly like the old ones?

I'm not looking for something like Sonic Adventure 3, like a lot of fans are. For one thing, no one is guaranteeing it a success just because the first two titles were liked. I want to see more things tried; when I saw Unleashed for the first time, the speed blew me away. It was really interesting, and now that the concept is worn thin, it's a good time for them to try something else.

I don't remember where I said this before, but I really want to see a game that has an acrobatic edge to it. Sonic Unleashed was certainly a spectacle with the high speed action, but Sonic isn't all about speed after all. I want to see a game with as much spectacle as Unleashed, but with more focus on platforming; one of these days, I want a game that plays like the opening of Sonic CD basically. 8D

I don't remember where I said this before, but I really want to see a game that has an acrobatic edge to it. Sonic Unleashed was certainly a spectacle with the high speed action, but Sonic isn't all about speed after all. I want to see a game with as much spectacle as Unleashed, but with more focus on platforming; one of these days, I want a game that plays like the opening of Sonic CD basically. 8D

I think an acrobatic feel would be amazing!  When saw Sonic CD's intro I always wanted sonic to be controlled like that! Sadly all he does is jump, dash, curl, crawl and slide -___-

• 2 weeks later...

To take that a step further, I think a collection of downloadable games following characters other than Sonic having their own adventures wouldnt be too bad an idea. Certainly the less risky way they could go about such, in my eyes.

2D or 3D style? I'd actually love to see a game that plays sort of like the old 2D Shinobi games mixed with the old 2D Sonic games and starring Espio.

• Like 1

2D or 3D style? I'd actually love to see a game that plays sort of like the old 2D Shinobi games mixed with the old 2D Sonic games and starring Espio.

I was really thinking 2D/2.5D myself. Sonic 4 style basically. I know a lot of people wouldn't be tickled pink, but it's not the worst possibility. Of course the characters I had in mind were Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic, Shadow, etc.