A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Preparing a Digital Portfolio

Aaron C-T

How's that work? I'm going to Savannah College of Art and Design tomorrow and so I'm rerendering my Smoke and a Coke image as I try and figure out what I'm supposed to do, as well as trying to cook up a last-minute image since my amount of work is so skimpy (4 finished, quality products). It says that anything computer generated may be sumbitted on a CD-Rom, DVD, or Zip disk. The images should be saved as high quality JPEG files. So.. do I just number them, shove them into Nero and click "Burn" and then write up the inventory sheet, or do I have to do.. something else? Seems like... not alot. I'd much rather waste ink printing everything off and putting it in some kind of folder as opposed to just burning a CD, but I guess that's not how it works.

Just asking before I waste a CD, and/or make a fool out of myself.

I don't think they'll sneeze if you do both, but they probably prefer a HQ digital format (since most people do not have good printers in the least).

If you number them, though, print out a sheet with thumbnails.

Bit late to tell you this now, but for future reference..

Number, name and date them and at the upmost importance do a digital

watermark for your work,When you right click on an image file and go to properties the summary should tell them everything about that piece of work, plus it will make you look more professional and organised.

When i did my Graphics Masters degree i was advised to watermark everything regardless of whether its finished or not. Also when sending Digital images to people send them as Read Only, that way they wont be able to edit your file.

Colleges and universities may be trustworthy but the people working there can just as easily steal your work, Also with any interview you have, never leave your portfolio with them even if they ask. I know a lot of people that have lost work that way.

Good luck on finding the right college for you.

Oh? Well.. there goes NY. I'm definitely not going to FIT. The abbreviation sounds stupid (not important really, but come on "I go to FIT" won't get your props), and it's a fashion institute. =/

I loved SCAD yesterday though. I applied actually. Granted, it's not done yet, but when I did it yesterday I got a 50% discount and ended up paying 25 bucks. Now I've got to send my scores, write my statement of purpose (2 pages -.-) and get a bunch of recommendations.

Meh... I don't see why more people don't use PNG. It's sexier than JPG and has the functionality of the gif (-animation).
Disk space. You don't always need the lossless compression. If it is needed, they tend to use TIFF's out in the real world. Plus, PNG doesn't do certain things the pros need to do. Not to mention the stuff with CIN, DPX or EXR. PNG is mostly a really really good GIF replacement, meant for network transfer more than anything else.
Can I ask why you totally ignore the other 50 million schools in NY?
The other ones suck, RIT's a good computer science school that'll practically get me a master's in 3 or 4 years if I got crackin' on it, don't want to stay in the hot hellhole of the DC metro all the time, practically guaranteed a job, decent scholarship despite my crappy GPA, prestigious film and animation program, home of Jolt Cola, a good second shot at getting into CMU, distant relatives living there, campus is practically new, and many many more reasons. You know, the typical reasons. Not complicated at all :P

Also, I don't think anyone ignored the other ones. My brother's even considering a few; they just weren't for me.

Well NYU offers animation, but going there would mean I couldn't take any Game Design classes, which I'd want to do just to have taken them I suppose. Second, they only offer Bachelors in Animation. So if I wanted to go for the full Masters I'd have to go someplace else anyway. RIT has a Masters in Animation, but more of you are saying no to RIT than yes. And those are the only 2 colleges coming up on ArtSchools.com with type set on "College/Univ. Art Dept/School."

When setting type to "Art School or Art College" Art Institutes pops up, but the one(s) in NY don't offer Animation. FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology, for Epon =P) has bachelors in Animation, but no masters. As well as associate and bachelors for Game and Graphic Design. Outside of the master's thing I wouldn't want to go to a Fashion Institute anyway, but if they had masters I would consider it anyway, but they don't. Then there's the Pratt Institute with a bachelors in animation, but not game design. The School of Visual arts offers a bachelors in animation. So.. yea.. Those are the only 6 schools I'm getting from this search.

Koray, if you can find a place I'll no doubt apply, but I haven't seen one.

NYU, Columbia, Pace, Hunter, Cornell, Fordham (Gotta love them Jesuits), Berkeley's NYC Campus.. the list goes on.

They all suck?

For me, they did!

Sketching is one of the better 2D things to get into the habit of doing. It's basically just drawing without erasing. I don't go anywhere without it.