A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

3D games anyone? For help with UDK and 3Ds Max

Hey everyone. I been using forums for not so long, but since I know, there where not so many 3d fan games. For being myself making some remake levels sometimes, and a full fledged project, I was considering what I can do to help others to make more 3d games - by giving advice to the ones already working with, or give a few pointers to those who want to go through this way. I love 2d style and art a lot, and if the day had 48 hours, I would definitelly making a pre-rendered 2d game in sonic worlds. But that's for another time for now.

Is not like I know a lot, but I been using UDK continuously for 2 years and a half - and I research and make tests an prototypes of ideas a lot - so at least have a consistent general grasp of udk, and I work with 3ds max professionally, so is a lot of time making normal work plus levels in 3Ds max, 'sometimes' 15 hours per day - ugh.

So I want to make this post to try to help as much people that I can, that is, if there are interested people, and I know there is. So if you have any questions pertinent to modelling and udk use, just ask!

Edited by Ricardo Raiohardt

I know this is kind of vague, but do you have any tips on making more realistic motions for a CG model?

I kinda not work with character animation, but what I can say apply to any animation:

When you plan an animation, try to outline the main elements of the animation before doing anything in the software, like,for example, if is a character moving an arm, make an study of the animation using a doll, drawing or yourself making the movement, and try to see all the movements of each part involved to outline then. This will finish with a list of more detail, that would mean a more definided animation, although there are rules for that.

Also in the principles of animation, there is an interesting principle that is "Follow though and overlapping action", that means more realistic movements by giving the impression of making the character or object follow the laws of physics. I looked and there is a basic description about this in wikipedia under 12 principles of animation, but is also good to get a video tutorial of any teaching company. I have seen myself one of 3dMotive with this exact same name, and in volume one have this exact technique. That would be cool to you see. There is also some free videos in youtube on this topic.

Another principle for realism is "Slow in and slow out", but the best way to get the best results is making many test studies with some of these basic principles.

And hey, I noticed in your profile that your current project is a game called Sonic and Shadow, coincidentally mine too is the same name! Although I call by the codename project SSH. Can you tell me more about it? You plan to use this knowledge to this project? Anything else, you can PM me.

Edited by Ricardo Raiohardt
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips, Ricardo. Studying an actual movement makes sense, and I'll be sure to check out those tutorials.

I never actually thought about physics and the apparent gravity in their steps when animating, so doing that would probably help in making it more realistic.

I saw your portfolio, and I have to say, that is some awesome work, especially those Sonic & Shadow renders.

As for my Sonic & Shadow, it's actually not in 3D, it's very much an homage to Sonic & Knuckles (as well as more recent Sonic games). It's more of a hobby right now, but I do hope to release it some time. I may end up using CG for brief cut-scenes, but it would be more work.

I've tried working on some 3D fan games, but all pre-made 3D engines are either limited in ability or clunky and difficult to use. However, some guy is working on a 3D Sonic engine for Unity (which is way more efficient than other options), so I might be heading back into the 3D scene sometime.

I got a bit off track there, but hey, thanks for the tips.

Edited by Riseodvi

Thanks for the tips, Ricardo. Studying an actual movement makes sense, and I'll be sure to check out those tutorials.

I never actually thought about physics and the apparent gravity in their steps when animating, so doing that would probably help in making it more realistic.

I saw your portfolio, and I have to say, that is some awesome work, especially those Sonic & Shadow renders.

As for my Sonic & Shadow, it's actually not in 3D, it's very much an homage to Sonic & Knuckles (as well as more recent Sonic games). It's more of a hobby right now, but I do hope to release it some time. I may end up using CG for brief cut-scenes, but it would be more work.

I've tried working on some 3D fan games, but all pre-made 3D engines are either limited in ability or clunky and difficult to use. However, some guy is working on a 3D Sonic engine for Unity (which is way more efficient than other options), so I might be heading back into the 3D scene sometime.

I got a bit off track there, but hey, thanks for the tips.

Hey, glad to be of help! Already was worth to make the topic!! And thanks for the appreciation, I really put a lot of effort in my works -  like many people do.

I saw that Nemox is doing some great work in Unity, if is this the case you interested, I really incentive to try if he release it. What I want is to see many great 3d sonic games look great the same way many 2d games done by the years, completed or not. 3d may seem a bit overwhelming at first, and with UDK not helping in the beginning, people only make simple games with just terrain and stock assets, so it really require some interest and study, but sometimes even with this things done right is possible to make a decent level at least. I dont remember how unity works anymore, and I know it have the marketplace advantage, but when you get the hang of the things with UDK, I must say that most complaints about it seems unfounded. Other engines like blitz sonic and variants I think is not even convenient to compare unless the person is interested in learning computer graphics programming and shader programming, and a lot of script tweaking.

If you have any more questions that I can be of assistance, just say.

• Like 1