A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sega Genesis Model 2 Video Problem

So I recently got a Sega Genesis, but it only outputs gray scale video. (The sound works fine.) I searched everywhere but it seemed no one else has ever heard of this problem.

I have tried everything I could think of. I bought an A/V cord to replace the RF switch it came with. I tried opening it up and checking for any obvious problems like cold solder. And I also tried switching from an old tube TV to a flat screen smart TV.

Thanks in (Sonic) Advance for your help!

Edited by RubiksJr

It could be TV settings. I recall when my friend connected his NTSC PS2 to my TV that was on PAL settings, it was shown as grayscale. How you would fix this issue, I'm not too sure as I haven't had such issues with consoles+ I hate fiddling with TV settings.

Edited by Chaos-Fusion

Have you tried different TV's? I know a few years back, I brought my Wii to my grandmother's house because I was staying there for a few days. The TV in her main living room made my Wii grayscale... Since I had obviously used the Wii before, I knew it wasn't the Wii, and I tried her backroom TV. Color returned.

Sorry, I just get frustrated when someone asks me a question that I already answered.

Oh yea, I almost forgot to mention that on both TVs I have messed with the settings; tint, color, brightness, etc. But none of them do any difference to the color.

Edited by RubiksJr

Sorry, I just skimmed over the OP, didn't catch it. 

Did you even read the whole post? Because I specifically stated that I tried an old tube TV and a flat screen smart TV.

Like Taz said, I recommend being more polite around here. You could eliminate the entire first half of your sentence and it would have sounded just fine. "I specifically stated that I tried an old tube TV and a flat screen smart TV." 

Oh, also, I did open up the system and take the video output directly from the system and take it to the TV with the same results, so I would like to ask if maybe it's a broken quartz crystal or something like that. This isn't to say I have figured it out, (Because I haven't.) but just to confirm if this is the problem. And if it is, where can I buy a new one?

No need to get all up on arms here. I was also going to suggest another TV but I read through the OP a second time. It's always a good idea to do so, you might read something that you skimmed over before.

Anyway, we now know with almost 100% certainty that something is going on with the console itself. I see that they recommended you to check on Sega-16 in Stadium... that might be a good idea, since TµEE/Tiido is a regular there, and he's pretty much the Genesis guru. He's here too, but he hasn't checked in for a while.

2 things;

1: Yes I will be looking at Sega - 16.

And 2: Abominal Taz, when I said "Edit: Done." I meant I edited my post so it just said "I specifically stated that I tried an old tube TV and a flat screen smart TV.". And I am sorry if that came out wrong.

Edited by RubiksJr

Abominal Taz, when I said "Edit: Done." I meant I edited my post so it just said "I specifically stated that I tried an old tube TV and a flat screen smart TV.". And I am sorry if that came out wrong.

I wasn't referring to that but yeah, just chill dude. Peeps are trying to help.