A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Noob questions

*Why is the space around the player so large when I hit obstacles?

What? Can you please explain?

*Is there a stripped down version of the engine (just with the movement)?

See the file attached to this post, it's the very first released ANYTHING of Sonic Worlds from Damizean, which is just the player movement and some platform/layering stuff. There's a version with some basic Sonic abilities (like rolling and spindash) and a version that just has walking and jumping. You can't get cut down much more than that... but why would you want to start with these?

SonicBaseEngine.7z

Woah, that is super cool stuff. I had no idea the engine was around that early, I always assumed it was released at 0.5 time.

Nope. 0.5 was the "Community Build" version, in which people just chucked stuff in without really caring about sticking to the standards that Damizean had originally set down. (Delta returns to those standards, btw) I have a Worlds 0.3 Beta somewhere that has Sonic and Tails, a few gimmicks, shields (but no shield abilities), and Mecha Sonic just standing in one spot looking menacing.

What? Can you please explain?
See the file attached to this post, it's the very first released ANYTHING of Sonic Worlds from Damizean, which is just the player movement and some platform/layering stuff. There's a version with some basic Sonic abilities (like rolling and spindash) and a version that just has walking and jumping. You can't get cut down much more than that... but why would you want to start with these?

1. When standing against a wall, there is a few pixels gap between the player and the wall.  There is no gap against walls in the original games (I checked on Sonic 3 - there is a gap at the left edge of the level, but not against walls).  If you play as Tails, the gap is even bigger, and there is a gap when you hit against the ceiling.  I gather this is because the sensors should be adjusted for smaller players.  I would like to use sprites from 8 bit sonic (which are much smaller) -- which sensors do I need to adjust and are there rules governing the way in which I should adjust these to avoid screwing up the movement?

2. Thank you for the cut-down version.  The reason I would want to start with a cut down version is that the later versions seem like overkill when trying to start off a game, and it might be a lot of work to strip away all the stuff I don't need (I don't want the title cards, gimmicks, music, enemies etc.).  However, the cut down versions don't have as good movement in them, I gather.

Edited by salamanderpants

This isn't a bad idea.  They don't need to be scaled up that much, but 1.25 times the size would be about right (I think)... I tried this, but it doesn't look very good.

You might need to rework the sprites by hand to look better. FYI, Master System and Game Gear sprites are generally a bit more "squished" horizontally, because the console will stretch the screen to be wider. So you may need to scale it horizontally a bit more than vertically.

Can you zoom out the camera in MMF2? I'm a GM user but that may help.

No.

Thanks for the help.  I don't think I will pursue this though -- my own engine is coming good, and trying to use this awesome Sonic Worlds engine for an 8 bit style Sonic game might be like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

I like this phrasing.