A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Silver Gear - Cybernetic Platform Action

24pvwoi.jpg

Silver Gear

Cybernetic Platform Action

Made by Enclave G 2014

Too formal huh? well i will keep it simple, when i first started with fan gaming was my idea to do a original game with original characters that had some good, simple and fun gameplay, buta ll the games ended up being a side-story of a sonic game or a remake of a sonic game or a HD or Hi-Res version of one, all of those ideas ended up being just dead ends because non of them were good, simple and fun, until i started to doodling until i started to get characters and stuff, of course at first were all sonic related and looked like a fan-char sonic game, so i started to make them look more human-like and then the term Amagu, Feragu and Demons started to grow

What are those? well i will explain them:

Amagu: Sort of little animal-like humanoids that has the abilitty to grow to the size of a normal human being, this animals has natural powers that can manipulate the elements, earth,wind,fire,water, and lighting the Magu energy is a mixture between elemental forces and artificial magic generated by the 3 great sages Ice Princess Miski Snowflake, Burning Rouge Coco Brownie and Gray Feather Terayuki.

Feragu: The demons created at first the Killer Bots, but they were destroyed by the 3 Sages, then the demons obtained enough DNA from the Amagus to create their own version of the amagus the Feragus, Humanoids that have a mixture of Magu energy and Dark energy from the demons, because they are half demon half amagu they have to devour amagus to keep living, they are feroucius beasts that doesnt stop at nothing until they capture their prey.

Demons: Creatures from the underworld that claims to be the former residents of the planet, when the 3 sages vanish them to the deep depths of the planet they sworn vengance to the habitants of the surface, driven by vengance they kill anything that doesnt belongs to the underworld realm.

Killer Bots: Silver skinned androids created by the demons to destroy the amagu race, they almost vanish them in the 1rst demon wars but they were destroyed when the 3 sages combined forces stopped them, they were souless and very agile, they could lift about 5 times its own weight and they had a lighting bolt refexes and velocity, a real war machine.

The story is kinda in the works so i want to get something solid before post anything, but its kinda what i already told.you guys

The Gameplay its a mixture between metroid, megaman, some things from sonic (gimnicks) some of cave story and MGS (some sneaking parts and enemies that goes to alert state)

Some screenies:

5lut1y.png

2ijoklv.png

4kdysk.png

1zu6fs.jpg

35iccww.jpg

i will try to update this when i had some solid stuff to show you guys

Edited by Gear_The_Hedgehog

SILVER GEAR!?

sorry, I had to

I'm liking that title screen graphic.

I suppose the pickups are placeholders, right? Rupees and Heart Containers just don't look good there. Since this is cybernetic, you should use something akin to "power units" or whatever instead of hearts.

The HUD needs a bit of work. The weapon indicator is confusing me.

From what I can see in the platforms, we have a regular platformer here. What kind of mechanics do you have in mind for the "Cybernetic Platforming" aspect? Bionic Commando has the grapple, Ristar can grab things, Rocket Knight has his jetpack - you get the gist. I suppose something connected to the Magu energy could work.

SILVER GEAR!?

sorry, I had to

I'm liking that title screen graphic.

I suppose the pickups are placeholders, right? Rupees and Heart Containers just don't look good there. Since this is cybernetic, you should use something akin to "power units" or whatever instead of hearts.

The HUD needs a bit of work. The weapon indicator is confusing me.

From what I can see in the platforms, we have a regular platformer here. What kind of mechanics do you have in mind for the "Cybernetic Platforming" aspect? Bionic Commando has the grapple, Ristar can grab things, Rocket Knight has his jetpack - you get the gist. I suppose something connected to the Magu energy could work.

hehehe, its okay. Yeah the pickups are placeholders it was the first thing i had and i wanted something to identify the pickups and stuff, was going to do more like power cells for the heart containers and some kind of chips called Datachips.

The Hud yes, i fixed that already those screens are even old from what i have now, nothing fancy just a white gear with the stuff showing there, nice and simple.

I was thinking in a mechanic more of shooting/hack and slash and yes the main mechanic its tne Magu Energy, this will allow you to cast different "spells" to the main character Mai and improve certain abillities that she has or give her some sort of magic shield to protect her from projectiles and hazzards, even she has her own abillites like a stomp attack and a backflip that allows her to do a double jump, and if you double tap the direction buttons she can dash until you stop allowing her to run faster and jump far, if you see in the second screen she is in her dashing anim, i have planned to this abilities to be improved as you progress in the game allowing her to do more stuff like making the upgraded backflip could act as the insta-shield of sonic and destroy nearby enemies while in air and the upgraded dash could make a silver trail that pierces throu enemies at hi-speed.

I dug the character design in the title screen, but god lord the sprite form is awful.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Not that it's a bad sprite or that you did anything wrong with it, but it looks like a grey blob. It's uninteresting to look at and the grey background is not helping it either. Consider adding some colors to it, I dunno, break the flow. Like Sonic is almost entirely blue, right? But he has peach colored arms, mouth and belly to avoid him looking plain and dull, and because of that he's interesting to look at. Same goes with his shoes which are red and stand-out from the whole sprite. Play with the blues you have in the sprite perhaps, add more details, I dunno.

Also, don't use pure grey it hardly looks good on any environment, use a blue-ish gray, it's more interesting to look at. Also if you're going to add such dramatic shadows to the sprite itself you need to sprite the shadows on both sides manually. Otherwise it doesn't look like they're shadows, but an outline or part of the design. Look at that game from Double Fine: Broken Age. The characters had some sort of rim light added to them but it wasn't "attached" to the character, but instead it was fixed on one of the sides.

I dug the character design in the title screen, but god lord the sprite form is awful.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Not that it's a bad sprite or that you did anything wrong with it, but it looks like a grey blob. It's uninteresting to look at and the grey background is not helping it either. Consider adding some colors to it, I dunno, break the flow. Like Sonic is almost entirely blue, right? But he has peach colored arms, mouth and belly to avoid him looking plain and dull, and because of that he's interesting to look at. Same goes with his shoes which are red and stand-out from the whole sprite. Play with the blues you have in the sprite perhaps, add more details, I dunno.

Also, don't use pure grey it hardly looks good on any environment, use a blue-ish gray, it's more interesting to look at. Also if you're going to add such dramatic shadows to the sprite itself you need to sprite the shadows on both sides manually. Otherwise it doesn't look like they're shadows, but an outline or part of the design. Look at that game from Double Fine: Broken Age. The characters had some sort of rim light added to them but it wasn't "attached" to the character, but instead it was fixed on one of the sides.

Yeah well when i first started to do the sprites i was doing them more like the ones i did for Sonic Gijinka, more detailed and with good amount of lighting and shading, but then i wanted to do something in the style of Cave Story art style, i know that Quote has that White-Green-Black and Red palette and he has more detail than just being all white, maybe i can make her from another kind of shade just to see how it works, and the background is that way because i didnt added a backrgound yet, those are place holders, but now that you mentioned i just added clouds that are random generated in the scene so everytime you enter a room the clouds are going to be in different places, its not a big thing but hey its something cool, the clouds are by the Cave game effects for gamemaker, and it also has some other cool stuff, i was planning on work on the tilesets for the demo but i think i have to work more in the gameplay mechanics before working in the graphics, i know a game with bad graphics isnt a good game and a game with beautiful graphics but half-assed engine and gameplay its even worse, so i want to do things right with this and try to stick with the basics i did for the game, thou changing a little the gray she has its a good tip, i dont think adding more detail to her is good, because i infact added more detail in the past to this character but it seemed too busy and even more uninteresting, because it looked like it came from TRON(not a bad thing of course since im a fan of TRON) or Xenosaga, and kinda liked the Silver with white thingie XDDD, so yeah i will fixing the shadows with the blue-ish gray.

Well i changed the gray for a blue-ish gray and i think i like it more, i added more lighting and shading to the sprites and did some new anims for the stand sprite

wi0wll.gif

Now im working in the sword combo and the magu magic system, but i was thinking on a little redesign of Mai, its something small but i think it could work out for the character and i wont have to do much stuff to her, when i got this redesign done i will post up how she could look

• 2 weeks later...

I like the design you got going for her. For the animation I think the hair would bounce in the opposite direction as her body is though. Other than that, purdy kewl

hmmm yeah now that i think about it yes i have to fix that for the standing anim, thanks!

Little update i added parallax from Damizean engine though i have to fix it because it covers only half off the screen but i think adding more parallax nodes to the missing part could fix it, also i coded some springs and other kind fo gimnicks, im woring on getting a bigger jump when you stomp the spring with the stomp, later on i have to work on the sword combo and magic system or "Magu system"

• 2 weeks later...

Some minor updates here before i start to do the big ones, its not that much but for me believe me its a big thing

Now Mai can fire in mid air (btw now we have two forms of attac, range and melee, thou melee isnt added yet) and the parallax that works wonders (thanks to damizean btw) but i sitll have problems to cover all the screen with the parallax, i already changed some numbers and stuff, trying adding more parallax nodes but none of them works if somebody can tell me a easy way to edit the damizean parallax to cover the entire screen thanks in advance.

2urqik7.jpg

And now she also can fire while she is ducking, and yes the shock ball goes at a different height than when she shots it while standing, also i implemented springs.

2psmwxy.jpg

Also i changed the hud for something less complicated and more "symbolic" but its still a wip, but i think i will add some shading to the "gear" and then move on to something else.

I'd recommend saving your files as a format other than .jpg for your screenshots. Unfortunately the quality takes a huge hit and it's hard to gauge the quality of the sprites and stuff when there are loads of jpg artifacts everywhereeeeeeeeee.

Anyway good luck with this project dude! I'm eager to see where it goes.

I'd recommend saving your files as a format other than .jpg for your screenshots. Unfortunately the quality takes a huge hit and it's hard to gauge the quality of the sprites and stuff when there are loads of jpg artifacts everywhereeeeeeeeee.

Anyway good luck with this project dude! I'm eager to see where it goes.

well that was the game actually, had a key assigned for screenshots and its the default screenshot function of Game Maker, it wont happend again dont worry XDDD

Really, Gear? My game maker screens save as png.

Sorry for that useless tidbit but I do like the HUD do far.

hmmm maybe i can set up the format i think it can be done but i kinda forgot now, but i will search for a good way to save screenshots or just remember how i did with the other games XDDD, thanks thou i will add some shading to the hud to give some spice

• 3 months later...

Okay then!! i have some pics to show you guys, one of them is for the now fixed parallax now the pieces are small but i will be doing a much nicer and detailed parallax so dont worry if it look kinda dull or you know...shitty XDDD also the parallax is for outdoors locations, because the indoors are more like cave, facilities, castles, and ruins and stuff, why i decided this? because i think the parallax look more accuarate for outdoors giving the sensation of vast and huge and i like to do more like small corridors and indoor looking rooms more than just putting parallax all over the places, i dunno i think its a cool idea how about you guys? maybe you guys have other ideas in mind that can help to make this thing better

1zu6fs.png

And im making some of Mai animations better this time, and i have now a better walking animation (based in Yuko anim of Sword of Valis)

35iccww.gif

I know she lacks of some bouncing on the frames to look more natural (even in the Yuko sprites has some bounce) tha'ts because im still working on them but for what it is its looking pretty good i guess.

Also i will be working in the melee attack (ion-sword) that can work as a shield as well, also can cut some bullets (not all of them just physical bullets and fire-type proyectiles) or bounce them, aslo Magu Energy will provide of some alter effects, like shockwaves or fire columns, also Magu Energy can be used to unlock her full potential more late in the game in the form of Killer Bot (kinda like a superform or more like a Devil-trigger) making her natural abilities more strong for some period of time.