A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CB: Helicore Boss

Ironrind

The Helicore boss for Sonic CB is up and running. He is one of only two bosses to far. He has two weapon types so far which is a small blaster in the front of the ship and then there are two flame throwers on the side. The propeller is harmful if touched. I think the last thing I want to add is a pipebomb launcher that is connected to the tail. It would act similar to S3's hydrocity boss. Any thoughts?

Youtube:

• Like 3

Oh yeah, sorry about that. CB has been in development for a little while. The playable characters are the genesis trio(Sonic, Tails, Knuckles) and also the knuckles chaotix characters(Espio, Mighty, Vector). It's got a wacky story, but I'll try to post that once it's been better demonstrated in the game. So far there are four zones:

Crystaline Kingdom
garden.png

Garland Grove
grove.png

Mystic Oasis
oasis.png

Polaroptic Powerplant
plant.png

plant2.png

Here are some later game bosses in developement:

Polaroptic Powerplant Boss
er01.png

A larger scale merge of the S2 and S&K deathegg boss.

Doomday Boss

Robotnik figures out how to properly use the chaos emeralds creating this final boss.

finalegg3.png

And of course the helicore boss up top.

Other zones: Hypnotronic Haven, Aurora Borealis, Deathegg, and Doomsday.

Gameplay videos:

Here is the latest download:
http://www.moddb.com/games/sonic-cb/downloads/sonic-cb-v20

• Like 3

Guest Mr Lange

You know if Sonic's 32 bit Saturn debut had to be some 3d perspective gimmick, this should've been it.

One thing that bugs me about this game though is how everything is in some kind of abstract dreamlike void. I wish the levels felt like they were part of physical reality with solid backgrounds instead of looking like platforms floating in a Photoshop cloud filter nebula.

• Like 1

This was one of my favorites along with Nebulous (nebulous because was the first fan game to have so many characters to play and that grim and yet post apocalytic vision of sonic its pretty neat) and im glad this is still going, those are the only zone the game will have or it will be more? i think with 2 more zones could be cool, because all the 4 are pretty neat, but is up to you more than me XDDDD, kinda reminds me to the Sega Saturn era and that's a good thing

One thing that bugs me about this game though is how everything is in some kind of abstract dreamlike void. I wish the levels felt like they were part of physical reality with solid backgrounds instead of looking like platforms floating in a Photoshop cloud filter nebula.

You know, I really like that effect. I just love the overall trippy feel of the game.

Removing it would take a part of what makes CB so interesting for me.

You know if Sonic's 32 bit Saturn debut had to be some 3d perspective gimmick, this should've been it.

I'm thinking more foilage below such as trees and bushes below can give the stage a more grounded feeling. The feeling that the stage is floating is something that I've been noticing too, but wasn't really intended. I'll try to think of something.

The background is a little tricky since the usual method of layering slices of background scenery doesn't work well with GM's d3d. The distance requires an almost endless area to fill.

Notice the background here:

This looks like it would be incredibly disorienting to actually play

It does take a little getting used to. The early levels are singular layered and left-to right. They become complex later, if that at all will help player ease into it.

This was one of my favorites along with Nebulous (nebulous because was the first fan game to have so many characters to play and that grim and yet post apocalytic vision of sonic its pretty neat) and im glad this is still going, those are the only zone the game will have or it will be more? i think with 2 more zones could be cool, because all the 4 are pretty neat, but is up to you more than me XDDDD, kinda reminds me to the Sega Saturn era and that's a good thing

Thanks man, good to hear^^ There will be 7 or so total. I've been lazy when it comes to extending the lengths and number of acts, but yeah. There will be more.

You know, I really like that effect. I just love the overall trippy feel of the game.

Removing it would take a part of what makes CB so interesting for me.

It also has some relevance to the story.

In short, each zone represents a spherical prison. Escape the sphere and progress to the next one through defeating the boss and then escaping the collapsing sphere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Act 2 for Crystalline Kingdom is nearly done. It could possibly use a third route. I'm playing in mirror mode in which you can see a mixture of the two existing routes which I'm trying to equally lay out for speed and time.

• Like 2