A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

1.4.3 Documentation?

Aerosol

I'm feeling real out of touch here but...  Where is the documentation? Is it only in comments in the event list? Or am I missing something? The event editor is kinda horrid, and the frame editor is a total mess, so neither of which are really inviting of the "get stuck in!" mentality.

I know Lake made a 0.5 tutorial, but it's for 0.5. And besides, I'm not exactly looking for a tutorial. Just some documentation so that if I need to know something, I can pop it open and refer to it. Right now I see a metric gigaton of stuff everywhere that I don't plan on using at all.

If it's in the works don't mind me. If it's coming soon, I'll even keep my trap shut ;).

And to be honest, it's the level editing functions that hold me back the most. But I understand that IS on the way, but not any time this year.

I did, and I learned that Blast Processing was not in use. And also which qualifiers were in use. Unless I'm missing something else? I remember previous versions of Worlds having a whole heap of documentation exactly where I'm looking, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong too.

Edited by Aerosol

It should hardly be surprising that there isn't any real documentation. Most gimmicks have some amount of explanation for how they work and so to do a lot of the various actions that characters can perform.

Really, the fact that everything is grouped is about as good as you can expect. Most stuff can be understood fairly readily as long as you use the group to glean some context.

If that's unacceptable, then... well. it's a fairly open project. Start writing some. We are supposed to be starting a wiki of some kind before too horribly long and this is the ideal type of content to go into it.

Hey they're better than they were before :(

Don't worry, I'm not talking about the organization of the events. I'm talking about MMF2's event editor period. I've always thought it was ugly. I have to say Worlds itself is better organized than I remember.

It should hardly be surprising that there isn't any real documentation. Most gimmicks have some amount of explanation for how they work and so to do a lot of the various actions that characters can perform.

Really, the fact that everything is grouped is about as good as you can expect. Most stuff can be understood fairly readily as long as you use the group to glean some context.

If that's unacceptable, then... well. it's a fairly open project. Start writing some. We are supposed to be starting a wiki of some kind before too horribly long and this is the ideal type of content to go into it.

I was thinking of doing just that DW, don't worry. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if something like that already existed. Guess I'll get cracking.

It's just that, again, MMF2's event editor is ugly as sin. You guys are probably used to it, and I was too once upon a time. But coming back to it I just look at it and want to puke. 

Well, what exactly are you looking for? Is there anything you need help with immediately? I mean, you could always ask the forums.

I don't need help with anything specific now, since I'm not entirely sure what to work on first. I'm leaning towards building a level with the test tiles first, which I don't really need help with. I mean, how hard can placing tiles around be? When I do have questions, I'll make a topic. Thanks though.

Edited by Aerosol

See if the event list editor suits you better. Since it shows all events in a list, it's way better than hovering the little checks every time you want to see an action.

Once the wiki is up, we can assemble a team that can document specific parts of Worlds. Several members could provide a lot of insight through their own experiences, adding up to the Worlds community spirit.

Keep in mind that it's fairly customizable - open the preferences dialog and check the Event List Editor part. You can turn off the object icons, for example. Also, tune the zoom slider until you find it comfortable enough.