A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Controlled Running?

Tried that, Values and stuff arent working right though, However. I have managed to stop him from activating the running animation. So i guess thats some good progress. Now i just need to set his normal speed and the hard part will be making it so that when pressing Ctrl he will go at running speed. Thanks though.

EDIT: I think i got it to work. It was more of editing the values and such, Now his normal speed is 2 while his running speed is 7.

Edited by RetroGamer20002

I was about to write that you need to first understand how Worlds works, but it seems you got the hang of it.

In short, Worlds uses several actions through values (spindash, jump, climb,whatever). What you want to do is create a new action "Running" - which will be toggled by the run button, and depending on the current status of the "Running" flag, set the maximum speed to X or Y.

Worlds, as with other Sonic games (exceeeeept for Lost World) has no run button, since speed is gradually increased. Implementing this is easy in the end, though: Now instead of a fixed max speed value, you have a variable one.

Well. I added stuff to the actions like you said (I knew about the actions before, But i tried to put in a wall jump ages ago and it didnt work so i stayed away from actions most of the time) I set it so then on Action=46. The Max speed would increase. However when i put the action to deactivate in the folder. (i did add it to the activate actions bit as well) It would simply stop working. :When you said about flags, Did you mean like the flags in the program? Because if so. I do not know how to exactly use them.

Edited by RetroGamer20002

No, I just called the "running" variable a flag since that's the way it works - it's either 1 or 0, ergo, a flag.

As for deactivating, do you mean that you're deactivating the whole running action event group? I think that would break the mechanic indeed. What you want to do is to set the max speed to a high value when entering "running" state (triggered by holding the button), and then set it back to the low value when exiting the running state (triggered by releasing the button).

You basically need to keep the Running variable with the value 1 as long as the player holds the button. When the button is released, the value is changed to 0. Then as long as the variable is still 1, the maximum speed should be higher.