A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic & Mighty Thread

Proto Dan

Sonic & Mighty takes place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles and (obviously) has Sonic and Mighty as playable characters (each with different level layouts). Sonic will have his insta-shield from Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Mighty will have his wall kick from Knuckles Chaotix. I might have to modify it a bit though because the wall kick can be exploited. I'm too lazy to write any more details...

http://sonicmighty.yolasite.com/

Anyway, here's the custom splash screen and part of my "new" HUD.

I'll be sure to include more stuff in this thread as more "progress is made with the development of the fan game", as my website currently says.

post-5372-0-47321300-1390008663_thumb.pn

post-5372-0-83627600-1390009421.png

Edited by ProtoDan
  • Like 2

Here's some more details on Sonic & Mighty since I haven't made enough progress yet to put all this on my Sonic & Mighty website. Note that some of this might change. It probably won't, but either way, here's parts of the story and whatnot.

Sonic & Mighty takes place on a mysterious island known as Eastern Island. Sonic and Tails crash land into a giant tree that is located on this island. This, of course, is because of Dr. Robotnik and an EggRobo. Why is Dr. Robotnik doing this, what happens to Sonic and Tails? Find out when I actually finish an act.

Here's the reason I probably won't use Sonic 3 & Knuckles sprites, like I intended to, (http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=52d852e1e4b08a14ac5d5687) and my "new" live counter. Not in that exact order though...

post-5372-0-60094400-1390101870.png

post-5372-0-39138400-1390101891_thumb.pn

Edited by ProtoDan

Okay, so I won't be posting any more HUD changes because, well, I might as well post every single number in the GUI I've modified. I will try to post more game play related stuff... Alex. I still feel the poll was necessary since I also gave a link in case anyone wants to vote. Anyway, I just want to post one more image here for now. It's not even anything about my game, just open it. 

post-5372-0-80421700-1390154991_thumb.pn

While I don't want a billon, "hey im making sanic blah blah 2" I also never really liked when people obviously state it. Just pass by, don't give it attention. Rather than "Hey don't post until you have proof" because I find that discouraging to others. Again while I don't want a whole bunch of topics with text walls. I'd rather not have members doing such. Motivational speech here.

While you and Alex are right, just wait a couple a days to see if he gets anything up. Then you should.. say things(?) (imo).

Sure. But the same logic applies in reverse, he should've waited a couple of days 'til he had something more substantial to show. Then he should... create a thread. Not the other way around.

Not imo, but as a basic rule of SFGHQ (that I have no idea to why the fuck it isn't pinned):

http://sonicunited.org/forums/index.php?/topic/3229-some-general-rules/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While you and Alex are right, just wait a couple a days to see if he gets anything up. Then you should.. say things(?) (imo).

I always figured, the point of this rule was, if you're not even far along enough in progress to post a simple screenshot, then you're nowhere close enough to needing your own topic.

I almost wish this applied to engines, too. A new engine with loops, grinding and wall jumping really doesn't seem like a topic starter to me. But that's just me.

I'm gonna wait until Delta 1.4.3 to start working on Sonic & Mighty. This whole time, I've been working off of Mr. Potatobadger's MFA, but I think it's best if I start over from a newer version of Sonic Worlds. I don't really think I've made a lot of progress either.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of my game (this is before I put in the new live counter and a few other elements). The current area you're seeing is a mix of Quartz Quadrant Zone (which was put in by Poe), Launch Base Zone (I was playing around with level graphics and whatnot), and Honey Garden Zone (which is an actual level I'll be including in Sonic & Mighty).

So yeah, sorry if it's not enough proof. At least I have a screenshot, even if it's not what the final product will look like (I might still use that HUD, sprite (with a different palette), and honeycomb pattern). I'll have to edit the honeycomb pattern "a bit" though...

DNVVvNd.png

Edited by Proto Dan

I think I can wait, Asuma.

Also, should I like get people on my "team" or something? I really don't know if I can develop Sonic & Mighty on my own. Hopefully, I'm not being "some asshole who cannot program" as the General Rules say, cause I'm not really that great at, well, anything (including programming). In other words, I don't want to just get a bunch of people to work on my project, and then take all the credit or something, even though I'm a talent less fuck. I just need some help with Sonic & Mighty is all... so let me know if you wanna help out... I guess... #danuseslotsofellipsesbecausehe'sawkward

Edited by Proto Dan

Something I learned the hard way back in the times of SFGHQ was that, if you can't code, you need to learn, so check out this:

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicworldsguide/

Seeing as it is pretty much the only Sonic Worlds guide out there, it should become your bible.

Also, I've not actually done this, but it just came to me and seems a pretty good idea;

Download 2 copies of World. Make one your game and one a testing ground for seeing what certain things do. Mess around with some values and see what happens. Hopefully you'll get somewhere. Finally, don't try anything too grand just yet. Get to grips with Worlds first.

Or, if you're not prepared to learn, then you shouldn't be here.

Even though Lake's guide is meant for Worlds 0.5, I guess it can still apply to Delta. Thanks for the advice, but I was also talking about making graphics, not just programming. I mean I can teach my self how to make decent pixel art, but I think it would still be best to get someone who's already a professional, so the game could be finished quicker. I don't know. Sorry if I'm being a derp as usual.

Also, I think most people have a team, so getting people to help with Sonic & Mighty isn't that big of a stretch.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what does HWA mean when it comes to MMF2?

Edited by Proto Dan

By the looks of it either that one pipe is colliding with the edge of the screen or you've got something wrong in the code for when its created. I'd look over your code in the event editor for something like that rather than the object properties.

Do try to learn how to do things yourself though even if you do want to get a team together. Having basic knowledge of something your teammate is doing will vastly improve your communication with them and speed up the planning, execution, and problem solving of making your game so its pretty beneficial to you in the long run. As for the graphics, go ahead and make some to the best of your ability. If you actually do manage to get a team together, you can save time for the graphic artist by already having a base for him/her to go off of rather than just completely start from scratch. 

If you don't know how to do something look it up on youtube. Its been my savior for the past 5 months for both of my current projects that I've been working on alone. 

• Like 2

Eh, I actually don't have anything in the code for the pipe movements, just the collisions. Thanks though.

In fact, it appears as if the upper pipe is moving faster, and both eventually stop. The bottom pipe happens to stop earlier though, and you can even see part of the outline of the upper pipe all the way over to the left.

EDIT: Okay, I think I might have fixed the problem. I switched to vector movement, since the in-and-out movement confuses the hell out of me.

Edited by Proto Dan

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3pws82e1borober/Flappy+Bird+Adventures+Demo.exe

Here's a quick little demo of Flappy Bird Adventures. You need to drag the bird with your mouse cursor, by the way. I'm also aware that it has nothing to do with Sonic & Mighty. I'm just not gonna start a whole topic for this game.

The game will have multiple levels, each with about 5 pipes... I think. I'll try to add some story elements or something to make it feel more like an adventure. There might also be some gimmicks or powers that, for example, allow you to shrink.

Edited by Proto Dan