A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

So...the Ken Penders/ Archie Thing...?

JoeMD

I followed it in the news but I must admit I really don't understand it. So the Echidnas are no more in the ArchieU? Lara-Su can't be in the comic anymore? The characters have had to be redesigned? Can anyone explain it to me - or point to somewhere that explains it - in a simple manner?  :Sweat: 

I stopped reading a long time ago. Personally I think it's understandable that Ken would want rights to characters he created. But whatever side you take I think the online rage is out of control.

Golly, that case still hasn't blown over? Honestly, I really don't care what's going between Archie and Penders and I don't see why it's such a giant deal.

And besides, anything that Penders puts to pen ends up being crap anyway. Well, to be fair, he is a good illustrator, he just insultingly doesn't make an effort to improve his skills.

Golly, that case still hasn't blown over? Honestly, I really don't care what's going between Archie and Penders and I don't see why it's such a giant deal.

I think he's currently going after Mega Collection Plus now, since some of the comic covers included contain his work.

Let that sink in. Yeah.

Uhh to summarize this, I'm not too into the comics so hopefully someone can do better, but basically Penders wanted his non-SEGA characters related to Knuckles back. Despite them being part of the Sonic comics, he viewed them as HIS characters, and believes that many people want to see a resolution to the story lines for these characters. So he sued and got the rights back. He is now creating his own graphic novels called the "LAURA-SU CHRONICLES" or something like that. 

Archie & SEGA's response was to...I'll just cop what most people are calling it. "Gameify" the comics. There's been what equates to a soft reboot of the comics canon. It's not that the old stuff doesn't exist, it's just that it's purely a memory to the characters now. That's about all I know. This is pretty much to help stop anything like this mess from happening again, I suppose.

I think he's currently going after Mega Collection Plus now, since some of the comic covers included contain his work.

That's...just so ridiculous I'm not even gonna touch that. The game is 12 years old for God's sake.

Archie & SEGA's response was to...I'll just cop what most people are calling it. "Gameify" the comics. There's been what equates to a soft reboot of the comics canon. It's not that the old stuff doesn't exist, it's just that it's purely a memory to the characters now. That's about all I know. This is pretty much to help stop anything like this mess from happening again, I suppose.

Well they did this before. The four part Genesis Saga had to do with the comics being more related to the Sonic 1 & 2, so I'm just gonna guess that was a foreshadowing to this reboot being gamefied.

• Like 1

Basically, Penders wants to profit from his fan characters which, without them, Knuckles wouldn't have a series by the way (yes, Penders said that) and Archie and SEGA didn't want to risk anymore lawsuits and didn't want the echidnas f*cking up the comic. The newniverse is actually due to fan feedback, as Flynn said they were disappointed when the Genesis arc didn't have any major repercussions, so Ian decided to shake things up a bit more this time around. Another factor was some of the mandates SEGA put in place, such as the Sonic Team characters not having families made by the book, so I think they did it to remove the families without need of explanation in terms of story.

• Like 1

I don't keep with the archie comics all that often, I get an odd issue here or there these days generally because I like the artwork in them and that a lot of the stuff of the past has kind of been removed. At the time, when I was younger, I thought all of the Echidna's and stuff were really really cool and that Green Knuckles was kinda okay - but I mean all that changed once I grew a bit and looked at the comics more critically. The art was also HORRIBLE for a good portion of those years after a while, I remember loving the issues when the likes of Jay Axer would do stuff and then cringe when Ron Lim was doing others. All in all the comic is in a pretty good place right now - it has a fairly defined and consistent art style through the issues and the writing is really not terrible, its a lot lighter and a bit more fun in my opinion. The plot points being contradictory to me doesn't really ruin it much because for all the adventures over the years the comic would have to start doing something different to stay fresh and somewhat relevant. A lot of comic series that Marvel and DC have running that don't know when to quit (even though I do really enjoy Spiderman) all at points go through some stupid reset to do things over again.

On the point of Penders though more specifically I am glad he is gone. I do not agree with the fact that he was able to claim rights to something that is such a derivative work from the Sonic The Hedgehog series, of which it is not his own creation. I can see to a degree where he is coming from - creator's should feel entitled to their work under many circumstances. This is one of those circumstances I feel where that entitlement just doesn't apply. No - SEGA doesn't own the concept of the echidna's or what have you, but this was a case where I believe he could have come up with any other characters he wanted to do the story he intended to without stepping on any toes. I WILL SAY I do enjoy the comics better with the removal of his stuff - they are a lot more pleasant now plus his art is/was horrible. I do not believe with one ounce of my very being that Ken Penders is a good artist or a good writer. I can't say anything about him as a person but viewing his work on the series...no, I just can't say he is good. The fact that he has to rely on the whole "legacy" of his characters that the Sonic The Hedgehog franchise afforded him of creating and granted him a large audience tells me that if he were to do something completely from scratch barely anybody would give a shit. I see far more talented artists in my daily interaction within different arts communities that try so hard to break into the business that largely get ignored. Bravo for playing the system I guess and winning for now - but I feel he'll fade to obscurity pretty quick anyway.

Edited by Rawr

A lot of comic series that Marvel and DC have running that don't know when to quit (even though I do really enjoy Spiderman) all at points go through some stupid reset to do things over again.

Holy crap you're not kidding.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Spider-Man

Way too much alternate universes... I can't breathe...

I've never been a fan of comics in general.  They tend to feel the need to up-the-ante just to keep readers hooked on the really really short stories, and that's when the time-travel and alternate universes and junk start coming into play.  It's convoluted by design.

Really gets down to the bare basics of storytelling.  Y'know what, maybe I should prove my own point and write a fanfic and see whether it turns out as crappy as all the others out there.  Never been interested in doing so before, but at least it'll help me know whether my points make any sense at all.

Coffee?  Yes please.

Edited by Nemox

Comics as a medium is fantastic. There are a lot of shorter, independent comics out there that do not run for 600+ issues. Image tends to run a lot of smaller pieces these days among some of the bigger ones - Orc Stain is a fantastic series for example. The guy who makes it is pretty great too.

Well gosh, now I know why i stopped reading the sonic comics and started reading manga a while back. Thanks guys, I could never figure that out for some reason.

What's funny is that this thought had occurred to me 10 minutes prior to making that post, and I wasn't even reminded while typing it out.  I'm so friggin' out of it lately.

The way I see it, this has been blown out of proportion. Those fans of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics are too hardcore and too extreme in their emotional outburst.

You obviously weren't around any Spider-Man fans during the One More Day fiasco.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop posting in this thread as the amount and anti-Archie/comics is making me incredibly depressed.