A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Retro Fangame Video Series

sonicyoda

Hey guys. Just a quick thread to let you all know about a series I'm currently running on the SEGADriven YouTube channel for shits and giggles. Just thought it would be interesting to this community in particular.

The series is called 'Shooting Hedgehogs in a Barrel' and the sole purpose of it is to revisit old fangames, muck around with them for a bit and generally ridicule the days of static engines and poorly made fangames.

The episodes that are currently available include:

Chaomega:

Sonic the Comic Madness:

Sonic Move:

Sonic Gamma:

Omni Khaos:

The sound improves on the following episodes:

Neo Sonic Universe:

Sonic Ki:

Sonic the Fated Hour Christmas Beta:

Knuckles Millenium 2:

Enjoy and apologies for my terrible speaking voice. Can't say I'm the best presenter when I don't have a script!

I also do fangame reviews on another channel. These form a series called 'Fangame Focus' and I'll be continuing with some new content for this series very soon:

Sonic Axiom:

Sonic Time Attacked: http://youtu.be/YfPIntdfcfI

The S Factor:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2D: coming soon!

OK, this seems interesting. You got me hooked... and I was supposed to do something productive right now. Welp, time to watch. :]

Small nitpick (Chaomega, Omni Khaos): The stuck in ceiling bug (or Spiderman Syndrome) isn't a static engine issue - it happens with the inbuilt platform movement from the clickteam games. You know the one... standard issue in most fangames from the "first" era (excluding Aksu's Sonichaos series).

Static engines were the "second" era, in these the main object (i.e. Sonic) would have a "Static" MMF movement property because all movement is controlled through values in some object that constantly repositions the character.

I think I wrote something like this before... in a "history of sonic fan games" document. Never finished it... might be a good time to work on it more