A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Help] Parallax with the Background Box

sonikku x

So how do I do it with an image strip?

What I did was replace the block with the image, selecting as 'center' instead of 'pattern' and it doesn't stick to the side of the screen. I try to mess with the alternative values F and G, and then resizing the image to go over the little corner square.

I just want it to scroll using a background box or similar that can make up using the engine, not anything external like a .mfa, as long as it's an official one within the latest Sonic Worlds Engine blah blah blah.

Been following this guide here: https://sites.google.com/site/sonicworldsguide/act-2 and it's not a good example since I tried using it, and it skips when moving forward. Probably meant for the earlier versions.

So, simplifying it in PLAIN ENGLISH to the point

Clouds: I want the image to automatically scroll, to not move when the player moves, and adjust 2 more with different speeds.

Sea: Putting each strip to move without it hicking up to the beginning point, just like Green Hill Zone.

Seriously, there needs to be a Google Doc to document Sonic World's features, editable only to SFGHQ members and moderated by the creators of Sonic Worlds. Up to them, there engine is just amazing just how it plays like a Sonic game with events and all that complex stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
first off, what version of worlds are you using?

Sonic World Delta 1.3

I just wonder how the game creators of Sonic Nexus made their Parallax because they probably built-off Sonic Worlds 0.5

If there's no answer, then I think I got an idea of how to implement the scrolling clouds, probably something to do with offsets, switch to left thing.

There's tutorials here, so I'll follow them. So fun figuring things out though.

We only ever made one build of Sonic Nexus in the Worlds engine, and that was the Pristine Palisade demo.

The clouds during the second boss section weren't actually parallax at all, they were just emitted using an emitter that shifted randomly on the side of the screen. I don't suppose you could throw in a picture explaining what you want?

Sonic World Delta 1.3

I just wonder how the game creators of Sonic Nexus made their Parallax because they probably built-off Sonic Worlds 0.5

If there's no answer, then I think I got an idea of how to implement the scrolling clouds, probably something to do with offsets, switch to left thing.

There's tutorials here, so I'll follow them. So fun figuring things out though.

Things to try: Make sure the dimensions of the actual image are the same as the actual object in the level editor; AKA, make sure these numbers:

2nXGL1o.png

Are the same as these numbers:

Jv3s7Tu.png

If that doesn't work, tell me, then we'll get dirty.

Where did that even come from.

Sorry, I was answering Dimension's question

Dimension Winkie said:

I don't suppose you could throw in a picture explaining what you want?

So I answered 'The Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis) Level: Green Hill Zone Parallax Sea Style'

The advice you gave was good, It works, but it's not the position I want it to be.

I'll make a video, post the link and then you can see what I am doing right/wrong.

Sorry, I was answering Dimension's question

Dimension Winkie said:

I don't suppose you could throw in a picture explaining what you want?

So I answered 'The Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis) Level: Green Hill Zone Parallax Sea Style'

The advice you gave was good, It works, but it's not the position I want it to be.

I'll make a video, post the link and then you can see what I am doing right/wrong.

Oh, ok good! :D

Green Hill Zone is an example of water Parallax.

What you'll probably be wanting is to divide the water parallax into horizontal strips and apply automatic horizontal shifting per frame to them (it's one of the instance variables for parallax objects). The pieces closer to the foreground obviously should have more shifting than the pieces in the background. You'll also almost certainly want the actual parallax effect as well, and again, you want larger values in the foreground pieces than in the background pieces. It's really more about fine tuning than anything else.

I have a very similar parallax background in the Madcap Grotto Zone project that I released open source. You could try to copy the ideas from there.

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7925

DW's example is a great example. You know how in hydrocity the water is almost 3D-ish? This is a build of my game from around may of this year:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w29lod9mh1vygto/Sonic%20Xtreme%20%28build%20from%20may%29.mfa

Since I tried to make it 3D like, it doesn't look the best, BUT:

If you change alterable value E on all pieces of the parallax to around 6 or 7, then you can see what it would look like without that awkward Full-3D effect, which is what you want and what I recommend.