A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Project Endless: Development Thread - Made in SonicGDK

Download Available

SAGE ACT 1 DEMO (Feb 14')

Older Versions
v0.02 (Dec 13')

Project Endless is a 3D Sonic game that I'm creating in UDK, thanks to Xaklse's SonicGDK. My goal is to create my vision of how a next gen 3D Sonic game could be, while being influenced by some of my favorite games in the series. Essentially, I'm taking the feel of the Genesis games into 3D, rewarding players who balance speed and exploration.

This is a very 'learn as I go' sort of thing, so like any fan project, I can't guarantee speedy or full completion. But you'll at least get to play whatever I make. My main goal by creating this thread is to gather feedback and advice. I also plan on releasing public demos on a constant basis, once I feel the game is in a playable state.

4/1/14: New preview is available! (April Fools)

2/23/14: SAGE Demo is available

12/22/2013: Public demo is now available (featuring the alpha of the first stage)

Visit the Tumblr Devlog for more updates: http://projectendless.tumblr.com/

Edited by Biggerboot

Some questions...

1. What abilities are Sonic going to have?
  2. Are there going to be other playables?
  3. Will there be other modes?
  4. What is the story behind the game?
  5. Will there be any fan made characters?
  6. Will this support online play?

...and now for some suggestions...

• Don't go overboard with the gimmicks (if there are any).
  • The bosses should not be to hard to beat (unless your losing advances you to the next level).
  • If there are voices, then hire some good voice actors.
  • Grant the beginners a Tutorial.

1. What abilities are Sonic going to have?
  2. Are there going to be other playables?
  3. Will there be other modes?
  4. What is the story behind the game?
  5. Will there be any fan made characters?
  6. Will this support online play?

I'm undecided on some of these, but there will definitely not be multiplayer or fan characters. Whether or not there is a story or other characters depends on how smoothly development goes. It would probably mean getting more people on the project.

Sonic will function a lot like he does in the classics, but in 3D. There currently is a boost but I may either remove it or nerf it significantly. There are elemental shields in the game right now.

...and now for some suggestions...

• Don't go overboard with the gimmicks (if there are any).
  • The bosses should not be to hard to beat (unless your losing advances you to the next level).
  • If there are voices, then hire some good voice actors.
  • Grant the beginners a Tutorial.

I'm definitely staying away from gimmicks. I'm going to try avoiding automation too.

Bosses are currently not planned, but I may want to put them in later. I'm more concerned with finishing the levels themselves first, then implementing the level transitions, which is where the bosses may come in.

I don't think there will be voice acting. There will be text hints (like a tutorial).

Oh joy, a GDK project using the terrain tool and default UDK assets.

It is not like it has never been done before... right?

Terrain tool is a terrible thing for Sonic games. It creates bumpy and ugly motion. Try modeling something instead, or finding someone to model stuff for you. The terrain tool should only be used for background areas (where the player can't go) or smaller sections (like small beaches).

It ain't new and it ain't an UDK exclusive tool, the terrain tool has been around for quite a long time and there is a reason why Sonic Team doesn't use it in their games. It ain't because "Sonic is not realistic" even in Sonic '06, which was suposed to be "Sonic goes to the real world" didn't used it much. So there must be a reason, right?!

Also, try making your own textures/assets as well. The UDK ones weren't meant for this kind of game, not even for realistic games. They were developed for futuristic-FPS types of games where muscular space marines shoot lasers in aliens and monsters.

If making textures ain't an possibility at least get an editing software (GIMP, Photoshop, whatever) that allows you to use adjustment layers and some filters. Then go to google and search the shit out for good seamless textures and edit them in the editing software so they can match a little bit the color schemes of your stages.

Also look out for UDK tutorials, if you look hard enough you can find awesome stuff out there.

Do not feel like I'm bashing at your hardwork, I'm just giving you some protips that I wish someone gave to me once I started messing with UDK three years ago. It is hard to make good work, but it is worth and the world doesn't need another "GDK projct using default assets". We already have Forgotten Ruins, Sonic Exodus and a few others to do so. Set your bar to make something extraordinary and not something ordinary.

Cheers.

The distortion in the cliffs, the random noisy elevations here and there, almost three years of experience and the fact that the terrain tool is pretty much the first choice for everyone starting with GDK (even I used the shit out of it back them).

Thanks P3DRO. I was going to address the UDK default assets at some point when I start a devlog. Some textures are definitely going to be either modified or replaced, and the tree models might be placeholders if I can find good modelers. Right now I'm not too concerned with that, first I'm focusing on the levels.

But the other thing you mentioned, the Terrain tool. I am going to look into alternatives to the terrain tool, because I did find out recently (a week ago maybe?) that it's a bit dated, but right now it's all I really know.

I think for this first level I'm going to let it be and possibly increase the tessellation for more smoothness, but I'm also aware that drains performance. I don't think the slight bumpiness kills this level, but might be an issue in later levels.

I think what's going to set this apart from other SonicGDK projects (no offense to those, they all inspire me in some way) is that... well I don't wanna spoil too much yet, but I want to actually get this game out into the player's hands before they do. There will be things that I'm going to put in that will set it apart.

• 2 months later...

Hello again. This project is still going. Lost Lake has gone through some changes - new materials, higher and steeper slopes, tweaked physics, and just more fun to play in general.

Screenshots:

http://projectendless.tumblr.com/post/63790158181/screenshots-taken-10-11-13-project-endless-is

Trailer coming soon, demo will be out in the winter (as I previously stated, there will be multiple demos; I'll release the stages as I go).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...