A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Next Gen Consoles

Serephim

• 2 months later...

Just changing the title and bumping. One next gen topic is probably best.

Somewhere in one of these threads I was talking about Wii U being an inexpensive alternative to Xbox One and PS4 with great games coming out by Christmas. Anyway here's a funny gif I found on reddit.

"I finally understand Nintendo's next gen strategy."

TWbHsU9.png

Ah here it is:

I wouldn't say that Nintendo is playing catch up. What Nintendo has done is very smart. By being a generation behind graphically speaking they can make games and the system a lot cheaper than PS4 and Xbox 720. Plus while the WiiU might be graphically behind I don't think it is behind as far as extra features go. WiiU has a social platform, WiiU has Wii TV, and it supports external hard drives. Sony may have their streaming bit but like Ila said broadband is shit it takes hours now to download a retail games. Imagine what streaming will be like with even larger games. It's going to be a stop and go nightmare.

So while the WiiU may not be selling that well now. Wait till Christmas when Nintendo lowers the price, has some great games, and flushed out operating system.

The way Microsoft is handling the XBone is absolutely mind boggling and every new piece of information coming out about it makes no sense. The pre E3 presentation was a mess, the way they are going to handle used games is a mess, everything.

Nintendo might as well not exist right now. They have an abysmal lineup of games right now. They aren't going to have a real presentation at E3 (just relying on Nintendo Directs to give us info on upcoming games like Smash Bros and whatever) and frankly the WiiU should have come out like a year later. Not to mention Nintendo is making the same boneheaded mistakes it usually makes with consoles, only it's a lot worse this go around. The fact that the Nintendo console is going to be behind in graphics again is just silly. But they're Nintendo, they've always just kind of done their own thing and Smash Bros is enough to get me to buy the system when it comes out so whatever.

I haven't seen Sony's presentation but apparently they were like a million times better than Microsoft.

The bigger problem though for me personally is that I just don't have the money anymore for consoles. I have a PC where I can get access to basically everything on Steam except for Nintendo exclusives, and for much much cheaper prices. I would love it if Nintendo went the route of Sega and their Dreamcast and made games that I could download on Steam. That'll never happen obviously but it's nice to dream.

I do want a 3DS XL though. But again, money.

looking back on what i said earlier in this thread, i've almost completely changed my mind about my stance on Nintendo. It's not only that they're falling behind on graphics, but that they're below the curve of this generation as well. The WiiU apparently can't even beat the PS3's specs. I don't really get them anymore. Wii-U is a shitty console, and the only reason anyone is ever going to think about getting one is because Nintendo's name is on it.

And as dumb as that sounds, it's currently the only console i'm even considering getting because I know the new 3D mario and Namco Smash is gonna be amazing. Nintendo should stop wasting everyone's time and just become a 3rd party developer already. But they aren't going to because they bank too hard off their crappy consoles for some reason.

I can't tell if it's because im just getting old and closed up, but I really don't see the appeal in much anymore. And that's really my stance on the next-gen consoles and modern gaming in general. I think gaming has turned into something way different than it was when the 360/PS3 came into the picture. The new Xbox is trying its hardest to become the central focus of your entire existance, and while everything technically looks pretty awesome, almost none of it convinces me that it'll let me play fun videogames. I mean Microsoft seriously wasted our time with TV features, sports games, call of duty and a fucking Halo TV series. Notice how i mentioned "TV" twice.

Xbox One seems to care little about gaming and more microsoft trying to transform their new xbox into a glorified Ipad. And if that wasn't enough, them charging me for used games pretty much ensures i'll never be getting one of those systems.

I know that I for one will watch that Halo TV series, so my time wasn't really wasted. Reading between the lines they have 8 new IPs in the works, and seem to be actually putting Rare on making games again so hopefully that's good. I am hoping their e3 conference showcases a lot of games. Some of their policies are bugging me but then again it also doesn't even really effect me much on the surface as 1) I rarely buy used because I don't save much at all, maybe 5 dollars at most and 2) I never borrow games really as I have nobody to share with. It's still a lame policy that I hope is thrown out.

I also want a PS4. So w/e, even if my time to really game is getting lower I still want both of the next gen consoles. Not even considering a Wii U because I have my 3DS and really that's all I need from them. The Wii U offers absolutely nothing I want. Okay, actually, that isn't completely true - it has Bayonetta 2 and W101 but that's 'cause I am a platinum fanboy but there isn't anything outside of that I want (least of all by Nintendo themselves anyway). My 3DS is getting an animal crossing and pokemanz and e-shop titles, which is all I need it for in the end haha (on top of the 3 games I have for it now of course).