A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

2013 Video Game Music Pitch Reel

hRook

Hi everyone! I haven't been present in the community for quite a bit, but it still holds a special place in my heart. You guys were very supportive of my music when I was working on Sonic Nexus. I wanted to return and seek feedback from the same discerning ears.

Long story short, I'm about to make an honest try at breaking into professional composing for indie games. Last weekend I started preparing a "Pitch Reel" of stuff I want to pass around. I'm aiming for it to be 12 songs, splitting them up stylistically. 4 of them will be 8-bit NES style, 4 of them will be 16-bit Genesis style, 4 of them will be modern. For the most part, they're designed to be indefinitely looping pieces.

Check the progress here: https://soundcloud.com/hunter-bridges/sets/2013-reel

I'm looking for feedback and constructive criticism. Do the compositional and timbral limitations sound authentic? Are the songs repetitive? Too derivative? Let me know what you think.

I'll keep you posted as I upload more.

The 8-bit song (unfolding) sounds like it definitely could have come from one of the first three Final Fantasy games or something. It's pretty nifty. I don't really know how to provide feedback for 8-bit music though. I found nothing particularly bad, so I have nothing to call out.

I don't like the beginning of Magma. Particularly that high pitch rapidly repeating ascending thing that plays right up until 50 seconds. It just hurts my brain. The calmer segment right afterwards is great. I'm not sure if I believe it could have played on the Genesis... at least one instrument sounded like it was doing some kind of complex note blends, and it doesn't really sound like anything on the SNES.

Angelic is fun and I have nothing bad to say about it whatsoever. I like some of the less harsh instruments in the Nexus version better, but obviously that's irrelevant given the 16-bit requirement.

I've always enjoyed your music and I'm glad you came back around to post some more (also gave you a follow on soundcloud :D). I'll take a listen through now!

I really like magma, the arp going on at the start doesn't bother me. I would suggest perhaps changing the lead in Angelic to be something less harsh though, while it still sounds cool the synth at times can get a little too 'in your face'. I think Magma is my favourite here, it has a small Megaman X kinda vibe here and there - its really cool.