A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Controller Support Issues

Strife

I'm using a method of controller customization for my game that is practically identical to Worlds Delta 1.3, but with one exception - the Joypad object has been removed due to a noticeable amount of lag it causes with sound playback.

Unfortunately, my players have noted that certain controllers which used to work in previous versions of the game have stopped working ever since I removed the Joypad object. I made sure to swap out all Joypad-related events to refer to the Joystick 2 object instead, but this doesn't seem to do the trick. Is it because Joystick 2 simply can't detect certain types of controllers?

I could have the game create the Joypad object only in these types of situations, but for some reason, the mere existence of it in the game causes lag even when it doesn't exist in the current frame. I'm kindof at a loss of what I should do and I wish I didn't have to choose between lag or low compatibility. xD;

What kind of controller is the one that's causing issues, Strife?

Lag is kind of a killer when it comes to the game. Some commercial games tend to have controller issues and offer some kind of fix for that (Dead Space for example, via a text file that does the job pretty well actually). So don't fret too much over it. Problematic controllers could be given a boost via Joy2Key or xpadder.

One of our players was fortunately quite specific with what was having problems. Bear in mind that when he refers to input options and the like, he's referring to the control setup screen that's in Delta 1.3.

The input options I had been using were the ones that were the names of the controllers; I tried "*Joypad Gamepad 1" which only responded to the PS2 controller's input, I mapped the buttons, started the game, and then it crashed (aka MMF2 has stopped working).

"*Joypad Gamepad 2" didn't respond to any button presses from any controllers (but that is probably because that USB converter has 2 slots for PS2 controllers and there is only one plugged in).

(the saitek and x360 pads only have one input option ["Saitek cyborg v.3 Rumble Pad" and "XBOX360 Controller (for Windows)"] that shows up, but the Playstation 2 controller makes 3 inputs appear: "USB Joystick", "*Joypad Gamepad 1", and "*Joypad Gamepad 2")

Also another thing I noticed: When I start up the game with keyboard input, the title screen appears instantly after the white fading thing like it should, but with controller inputs selected (the names of the controllers) it take a second for the title screen to appear after the white fade effect (music starts normally).

So it only works with keyboard so far.