A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Jak and Daxter series.

Eminence

I enjoyed the first Jak and Daxter, but by the time I was about halfway through 2 I lost a lot of interest. I disliked the shift in tone and pacing, and the gun combat was pretty shitty overall. The first one did feel like a grand adventure though, especially since the world loaded seamlessly.

Was never really a huge fan of Jak and Daxter. I always preferred Ratchet and Clank and even then I got a little tired of those games towards the end. I guess I'm just not such a huge fan of platforming adventures anymore. It's probably because I have a very short attention span. I don't like grand adventures, just a short walk ;-)

Loved the first game... It was so open, and aside form teleporting or loading your file up at the title screen, there were no loading screens... The game abused stream-loading, and that's a VERY good thing. Wish modern game devs did that more often.

Played 2... Oh god... Where do I begin...

- Guns? Why?! Jak's just fine with his fists and the occasional blob of Yellow Eco.

- The sudden shift to "Dark and Edgy"... Again, why? Colorful and light-hearted fit the game so much better! Oh, and the swearing... Okay, wasn't a fan back when I was little... I can let it slide now, but still... No need.

So basically, Jak 2 was the Shadow the Hedgehog of the Jak series... Before Shadow the Hedgehog came out, even.

Seriously, same issues and everything! Well, not the excuse plot that involves aliens... Jak 2 doesn't have that, but whatever. Point still stands.

EDIT: No, I haven't played 3, X Racing, or Daxter. I've played through the demo of Lost Frontier though. It seemed... Okay... The physics and stiffness of the controls was annoying though. Seems to be an issue with a lot of PSP games. KHBBS had the same issue, whereas it's PS2 predecessors didn't. Same applies to the Jak series... PS2 games controlled beautifly, even 2.

procedural loading has existed for a long time, Sena.

I own the first one but have never been motivated enough to get more than even 2 hours in. Unlike other older games like Crash or Spyro i never really got "that feeling" while playing. And the face > heel turn with Jax's character kind of bothered me, even though I never spent much time with the first one.