A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

In the Post-Cyberpocalypse of 666xAD, WILL YOU BE READY?

Carl Winslow

Warning: What you are about to read is canon

5 years ago the best RPG ever made was released, Charles Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Now, the team is back with a sequel in the works:

MXktd.gif<--click dis

they're using kickstarter to generate enough money to make this game happen. it's an Action RPG with completely original graphics, characters, storyline, and everything inbetween. The planned Feature List includes, but is not limited to (taken shamelessly from the SA thread):

Things Change Over Time - People, places and quests change over time; the things you experience might be completely different from what your friends experience because you did them at different times. The official Big Idea behind Barkley 2 is that everyone will have a different game - things changing over time is the backbone of this idea.

Large, Open World - The Necron 7 is a large, open environment with dozens of areas to explore. There are things to find in every corner and secrets everywhere - this is a game all about exploration.

Fast-paced Action RPG Combat - Barkley 2 has mouse-aimed shooting gameplay that takes inspiration from action games like Crimsonland and Soldat, but also RPGs like Dark Souls and Gothic. Stats, classes and an incredibly deep character creation system give you complete control over your character; we want to make Barkley 2 a game that is not only funny, but fun to play.

Randomized Gun's System - Gun's are randomized through a complex system similar to Diablo's or Borderland's, offering millions of possibilities. Shotgun's that shoot ooze, machine gun rocket launchers and gravity rifles are just the tip of the iceberg of our gun's system. Even more than this, you can fuse gun's together in a system similar to demon fusing from the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series. The weapon combinations are nearly unlimited.

DwarfNET - Connect with fellow dwarfs and dwarf enthusiasts on the in-game DwarfNET message board. Jack your cranial USB into the data matrix and search for clues or chat with tech-savvy dwarfs about vidcons, layups and the latest jock news through the amazing power of bio-cybernetic technology.

if this doesn't convince you, take a look at the kickstarter page and video! the work done so far is absolutely fantastic, and these guys have proven they can make good games!

Also if you pledge 100 bux you get this:

Rnoxa.png

SO GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY, OKAY?

AND BE SURE TO TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!

is it even legal to get "funded" for something with his name on it like that?

read the kickstarter page, they've entirely removed everything that could be connected to him or any piece of copyrighted of material present in the game. I mentioned that already, actually.

Barkley 1 was an amusing mash of 90s basketball and the wretchedness of the RPG Maker community. I'm not sure why, but this sequel just seems to be a try hard project or something. It just doesn't seem to have the same spirit as the first game.

to be fair, the initial trailer for Barkley 1 looked like complete shit and was something you weren't expecting to have ANY fun with. I mean, THEY MADE A SEWER DUNGEON FUN AND INTERESTING, which is more than you can say about any other RPG. the other thing to note is Barkley 1 never faltered in taking it's premise seriously despite the humor involved. There weren't any real jokes involved the entire way through, just the absurdity of it all. So far, I feel they've captured that and more with this initial pitch (complete with spinning doritos bag on the computer screen).

??? The only sewer dungeon I remember from FF7 was the one after the cross dressing sequence at Corneo's mansion, and it was 3 small rooms and you could be through it in about 20 seconds if you were lucky enough not to get into any random encounters.

I noticed this afterwards but didn't really feel like removing it because it made my list seem shorter.

But the corneo scene was so good i think it still counts right amirite

Just replace it with FF8 then. There's a sewer section under Dollet.

It'll easily hit the 100k mark. Awesome.

If any of you idiots haven't played the first one, play it right now, It's funny as hell, but it is a legit good RPG on its own. Also Space Jam is cannon.

The creator of it posted a big thread on SA about it, and he assured everyone that the humor will be as good as the first.

Barkley 1 was an amusing mash of 90s basketball and the wretchedness of the RPG Maker community. I'm not sure why, but this sequel just seems to be a try hard project or something. It just doesn't seem to have the same spirit as the first game.

Don't listen to this big fat idiot right here who doesn't know what he's talking about and is also smells like farts

you literally don't have to play FF12 if you set the gambits right. that's the exact opposite of an engaging experience

Final Fantasy 12's battle system was no different than that of FF6-9. The only difference is that they removed the transitioning screen. As a result, once you're strong enough, you can simply configure gambits to take out fodder enemies in an area. It's an innovation. For anyone who hated it, they could simply turn gambits off, turn the ATB gauge to "Wait", and adjust the speed accordingly. It would be no different.

The reason they exist is because there are ALOT of places to go in the game, and after a while having to deal with the same damn fodder enemies, status effect or constantly reapply the same spells would just get redundant and tedious. Nobody wants to deal with exploring or questing when 50% of your playtime is watching load/victory screens.

I really cannot understand the gripe with FF12's gambits of all things. And anyone who claims 12 allows you to win only using gambits is just BSing you. That's almost more ridiculous than the claims that FF13 was somehow an "easy" game.

come to think of it though I don't think I played Dragon Quarter. doesn't have some absurd time limit on the entire game?

More than a couple limits, actually.

1) It doesn't allow you to save except at specific points (hours apart from eachother)

2) quitting requires you to make a temporary save, deleted upon continuing. You cannot make multiple save files. (So any mistakes you make you have to live with)

3) dying gives you the option of either 1) restarting at an older save point with a few retained stats/equip to make it easier, or 2) restarting the entire game over from the beginning the same way.

4) (the 'time' limit) Early into the game, you gain access to Ryu's Dragon Form, and a counter appears. From this point in the game onwards, almost everything you do adds to this counter in some way or form. If at any point the counter reaches 100%, the game is over. There is no way to decrease the counter. This is why the Restart feature exists, in case your counter gets too high on your file to actually allow you to beat the game.

Ryu's Dragon Form (acquired about 2 hours in) literally allows you to wreck anything you use it on in a single turn. ANY enemy (final boss included). But every time you resort to using that power, you come closer to corruption and failing the game. The distance between save points also highly discourages you from dying. As a result, there's a constant cloud of mortality hovering over your head, which is ironic, judging from how much power the game gives you from the start.

Bosses are exceedingly difficult, and at one point become so powerful so fast that you're almost required to abuse your Dragon from in order to survive. The amount of power you use though can be lowered by your own player skill. I probably got through my first playthrough with 10-8% left to spare by the time i reached the final boss.

It's honestly one of the best videogames ive ever played. The Breath of Fire series always had innovative approaches to common elements that set them apart.